Shed traps

• protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I had the idea of putting out the shed trap a little earlier this year, around the last week of January. I had a five gallon bucket filled about half way w/ corn. I then drilled two holes for the bungy cord so that it would be tight enough to knock off the antlers. I returned the following weekend and noticed the ground was really dug to the dirt from all the deer activity, and also noticed the bucket 30 feet on its side from where it was before I guess my plan didn’t work after all considering there were no sheds around that area. But i have a couple more ideas to shoot at so we’ll see what happens

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ve got bucks coming around to my place too so please figure out a plan…and share with us

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ve got bucks coming around to my place too so please figure out a plan…and share with us

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I have heard of chicken wire on a feeder but the feeder has to be attached to something solid so they don’t take it with them.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I have heard of chicken wire on a feeder but the feeder has to be attached to something solid so they don’t take it with them.

scottsteil
    Central MN

You don’t want to use anything that they can get tangled in. Just put the corn on the ground around clumps of brush or trees.

scottsteil
    Central MN

You don’t want to use anything that they can get tangled in. Just put the corn on the ground around clumps of brush or trees.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I read an article about making a shed trap a few years ago. Like Scott stated you don’t want to put something out that they will get all tangled up in but done correctly they wouldn’t drag this off.

Take a couple short sections of heavy gauge hog fencing about 8′ long each. Install the fencing in a V configuration using steel fence posts. The fencing on the narrow end of the V should have about a 12″ opening and the wide end should be approximately 5′ open. Place a bucket of feed in the narrow end of the fencing securing the bucket to the fencing.

Bucks will feed with their antlers in the narrow end of the fencing funnel and if you are lucky enough they will catch and drop their antlers in the fencing. I’ve never tried this but it sounds as if it might just work. I’ve always wanted to give it a try and if I had the area to set it up in I’d give it a try.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I read an article about making a shed trap a few years ago. Like Scott stated you don’t want to put something out that they will get all tangled up in but done correctly they wouldn’t drag this off.

Take a couple short sections of heavy gauge hog fencing about 8′ long each. Install the fencing in a V configuration using steel fence posts. The fencing on the narrow end of the V should have about a 12″ opening and the wide end should be approximately 5′ open. Place a bucket of feed in the narrow end of the fencing securing the bucket to the fencing.

Bucks will feed with their antlers in the narrow end of the fencing funnel and if you are lucky enough they will catch and drop their antlers in the fencing. I’ve never tried this but it sounds as if it might just work. I’ve always wanted to give it a try and if I had the area to set it up in I’d give it a try.

Eyehunter

phishirman
    Madison, WI

rack remover! stack 2 rows of firewood into a V with a log towards the front crossing the span about 3 feet off the ground with a pile of corn underneath…the bucks puts his head down to eat the corn hopefully hitting that log and knocks the antlers off…I’ve also heard of people ripping the material off of boxspring mattresses and standing them up into a V and putting a pile of corn in the front…But I’m not sure I would recommend as it could injure a deer if it gets it antler stuck in the mattress before its ready to be shed

phishirman
    Madison, WI

rack remover! stack 2 rows of firewood into a V with a log towards the front crossing the span about 3 feet off the ground with a pile of corn underneath…the bucks puts his head down to eat the corn hopefully hitting that log and knocks the antlers off…I’ve also heard of people ripping the material off of boxspring mattresses and standing them up into a V and putting a pile of corn in the front…But I’m not sure I would recommend as it could injure a deer if it gets it antler stuck in the mattress before its ready to be shed

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I have used the hog panels before with no luck. The turkeys really liked the idea tho. I have 2 cameras out yet nand have seen bucks with and without their racks.Its a great time to have a camera out.95%of the pics are daytime so I get some nice video clips from my camera.I did see the big 8 I was hunting in the background as some does tripped the cam.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I have used the hog panels before with no luck. The turkeys really liked the idea tho. I have 2 cameras out yet nand have seen bucks with and without their racks.Its a great time to have a camera out.95%of the pics are daytime so I get some nice video clips from my camera.I did see the big 8 I was hunting in the background as some does tripped the cam.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I know this sounds kind of dumb but it has worked for me. Dump the feed on the ground and set a picnic table over it. It’s just enough for them to bump there horns and it is harmless to the deer.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I know this sounds kind of dumb but it has worked for me. Dump the feed on the ground and set a picnic table over it. It’s just enough for them to bump there horns and it is harmless to the deer.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea

col._klink
    St Paul

In reading all the posts on this topic I have never put much thought into the the idea of a shed trap.

Well I am sold on trying this out. I wonder if next weekend is to late? The bucks in my area are still carrying thier racks.

And I wonder how long our new snow will sick around and if that will have any impact on them losing thier racks.

col._klink
    St Paul

In reading all the posts on this topic I have never put much thought into the the idea of a shed trap.

Well I am sold on trying this out. I wonder if next weekend is to late? The bucks in my area are still carrying thier racks.

And I wonder how long our new snow will sick around and if that will have any impact on them losing thier racks.

herefishyfishy
    MN

sounds like a good chance of an entanglment but maybe I dont quite understand the trap. Hope it works for you for the deers sake. If your seeing the bucks you wouldnt have to put on too many miles to find the sheds. Good excuse to get in the woods and walk around…Good Luck

herefishyfishy
    MN

sounds like a good chance of an entanglment but maybe I dont quite understand the trap. Hope it works for you for the deers sake. If your seeing the bucks you wouldnt have to put on too many miles to find the sheds. Good excuse to get in the woods and walk around…Good Luck

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Not sure where the danger is. It’s a picnic table just sitting there. They stick there heads between logs and trees all the time to eat.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Not sure where the danger is. It’s a picnic table just sitting there. They stick there heads between logs and trees all the time to eat.

herefishyfishy
    MN

Oh sounded like there was wire involved. Like I said I probably dont quite understand how it works and there is nothing wrong with taking a walk in the woods. Find a ton if you know where to look. happy hunting!! picnic table idea sounds like it would work well!!!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Oh sounded like there was wire involved. Like I said I probably dont quite understand how it works and there is nothing wrong with taking a walk in the woods. Find a ton if you know where to look. happy hunting!! picnic table idea sounds like it would work well!!!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Be a big buck that walks around with a picnic table stuck on his head!!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Be a big buck that walks around with a picnic table stuck on his head!!

jrotering
    Trempealeau, WI

Sounds like you guys are a bunch of “Master Baiters”

jrotering
    Trempealeau, WI

Sounds like you guys are a bunch of “Master Baiters”

jd318
    NE Nebraska

No, they are just apprentice-baiters. You need to work at the trade to become a master-baiter.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.