Muzzleloader buck 12/9.

• coppertop
    Central MN

Well I hate to think my season is over after this but it was a great year. On the morning of 12/9 my father and I went out for his first time this year with the loaders. I noticed this deer making his way across a CRP field about 180 yards out at 7:30am. I tried a few grunts with my true talker but it was just not loud enough. I then grabbed my Buck Growl and gave a firm grunt. The deer instantly stopped, looked my way and took a 90 degree turn and started my way. He was closing the distance at a good pace. At one point I lost sight of him due to the heavy pine branches in my tree so I climbed off my stand and hung out of the tree a ways. He was still headed my way and now had a doe trailing about 60 yrds behind him. I eased back into my stand grabbed my gun, rested it on a branch and prayed that he would continue and clear my branches and into view. About 2 minutes later there he was just far enough into my clear sight. He stopped looked around and then he turned only to about dissapear behind the branch. I was able to stop him and make a good 70 yrd shot. After searching for about 45min I finally found blood and recovered him shortly after that. I felt bad for making dad’s season so short but he was happy for me. I’m primarly a bow guy but also like the advantage at times with a gun. I still have two anterless tags left for the season but from here on I’ll be strictly hunting with my camera. I hope to have some pics to post in the near future as I won’t be able to stay out of the woods.

coppertop
    Central MN

pic 2

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

What a hog!! Congrats on a beautiful whitetail!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

What a hog!! Congrats on a beautiful whitetail!!

jesse
    mn

GOOD JOB Nice buck to end the season

jesse
    mn

GOOD JOB Nice buck to end the season

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Great buck! Congrats copper!

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Great buck! Congrats copper!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That is a nice buck!, you going to get him mounted? Ive been waiting to see what the reports have been on the buck growl from all the guys here who hunt, I’ve been wanting to see if thier really worth it, with you turning this buck at that distance i think im going to get one. Thanks for the report and again nice buck and nice report.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That is a nice buck!, you going to get him mounted? Ive been waiting to see what the reports have been on the buck growl from all the guys here who hunt, I’ve been wanting to see if thier really worth it, with you turning this buck at that distance i think im going to get one. Thanks for the report and again nice buck and nice report.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

hey mossy, i know of a couple guys that have the MAD Buck Growl and they have had luck with deer coming to it. I have the Primos Buck Roar that they just came out with this year. I only used it a couple times after the primary rut but i didn’t have any luck with it. But i would definitely think about getting one if i were you

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

hey mossy, i know of a couple guys that have the MAD Buck Growl and they have had luck with deer coming to it. I have the Primos Buck Roar that they just came out with this year. I only used it a couple times after the primary rut but i didn’t have any luck with it. But i would definitely think about getting one if i were you

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

great buck copper What is he going to go? about low 150’s?? maybe 140’s?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

great buck copper What is he going to go? about low 150’s?? maybe 140’s?

coppertop
    Central MN

Mossy, After hearing Scott Steil say something about the abilty to make loud grunts with the buck growl I bought one myself. It seems that I carry everthing but the kitchen sink with me in the woods and often get poked at for it but a guys needs clothes to dress in the field, rattle antlers, rangfinder, pee bottle, handwarmers, camera, hat with visor, etc.. etc.. etc… I thought to myself the last thing I need is more stuff in my backpack. I’ve yet to have any success doing the growling but for loud grunts I have 2 great bucks to show for that I most likely wouldn’t have harvested without. If you see this Scott, thanks for your info regarding loud grunts with the buck growl! and yes mossy he will go on my wall.

coppertop
    Central MN

Mossy, After hearing Scott Steil say something about the abilty to make loud grunts with the buck growl I bought one myself. It seems that I carry everthing but the kitchen sink with me in the woods and often get poked at for it but a guys needs clothes to dress in the field, rattle antlers, rangfinder, pee bottle, handwarmers, camera, hat with visor, etc.. etc.. etc… I thought to myself the last thing I need is more stuff in my backpack. I’ve yet to have any success doing the growling but for loud grunts I have 2 great bucks to show for that I most likely wouldn’t have harvested without. If you see this Scott, thanks for your info regarding loud grunts with the buck growl! and yes mossy he will go on my wall.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

I have both…and THEY WORK!! I like the primos better, the mad call, ends up sounding too waterfowlish to me…
    but I have had bucks come in to both of the calls. Well worth the money..plus you get a dvd with either one!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

I have both…and THEY WORK!! I like the primos better, the mad call, ends up sounding too waterfowlish to me…
    but I have had bucks come in to both of the calls. Well worth the money..plus you get a dvd with either one!!

coppertop
    Central MN

Protour, He has decent mass and tine length but he lacks in his spread I’m guessing somewhere in the 120’s

coppertop
    Central MN

Protour, He has decent mass and tine length but he lacks in his spread I’m guessing somewhere in the 120’s

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Nice Work

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Nice Work

Love to Troll

Coppertop, congratulations! I’ve read your posts this fall, and I’ve got tremendous respect for your perseverence. You really earned that buck!

Love to Troll

Coppertop, congratulations! I’ve read your posts this fall, and I’ve got tremendous respect for your perseverence. You really earned that buck!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks you guys, im going to get a primos Luke, i’ll take your advice on them for this neck of the woods.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks you guys, im going to get a primos Luke, i’ll take your advice on them for this neck of the woods.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good job coppertop !!! I too picked up a Buck Roar. WAYYYYYY louder than the TruTalker, when you need to shout at em… Excellant Buck

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good job coppertop !!! I too picked up a Buck Roar. WAYYYYYY louder than the TruTalker, when you need to shout at em… Excellant Buck

big g

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Congrats reggie.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.