Am I the only one?????

• coppertop
    Central MN

With all of the recent pics of monsterous bucks I keep wondering if it will happen to me. How many of you consider yourself true die hard deer hunters who go by all laws and have concern for the game they pursue. It seems some people have unreal propery to hunt and often get a trophy almost every year. Am I the only one who has not connected or even seen a real monster this year??? I have hunted almost everyday since bow opened on 3 different properties. Rifle hunted on another and shotgun hunted on one of the three. Please somebody make me feel better and tell me I am not the only one empty handed at this point. I know how hard it gets from here but I keep plugging away. I’ve put a ton of time in this year and I’m in the beginning stages of burnout, almost like a full-time job. Just wondering what others experiences are for this year??

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Sounds like a case of working too hard to get a buck. Relax and eventually it will happen
    One other thing, do you even have a number of large mature bucks in the area you are hunting? There usually isn’t a mature buck on every piece of property

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Sounds like a case of working too hard to get a buck. Relax and eventually it will happen
    One other thing, do you even have a number of large mature bucks in the area you are hunting? There usually isn’t a mature buck on every piece of property

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Nope you are not the only one. I have hunted all season and all I have to show for it so far are three does. I haven’t so much as seen a horn this gun season yet.
    It ain’t over yet though!!!!!!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Nope you are not the only one. I have hunted all season and all I have to show for it so far are three does. I haven’t so much as seen a horn this gun season yet.
    It ain’t over yet though!!!!!!!!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Don’t worry bud it’s happened to us all at some time.

I shot my big one 4 years ago and haven’t had a shot at one bigger yet. Seen em but that really doesn’t count in the kill dept

I know guys that have PRIMO and I mean PRIMO property with multiple bookers on them and it doesn’t alway mean success. They have gone 2,3 and 4 years with out sticking one. Best way to deal with it is just keep going. Their not called trophy’s because everyone gets one every year….. I am still kicking myself for not taking a low 150 lastyear cause I saw a 160+ the day before. Now this year I didn’t even see a deer that went over 125, and there were 3 that were shot in the same area as me that did go book.

Maybe next year, thats what keeps up coming back@!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Don’t worry bud it’s happened to us all at some time.

I shot my big one 4 years ago and haven’t had a shot at one bigger yet. Seen em but that really doesn’t count in the kill dept

I know guys that have PRIMO and I mean PRIMO property with multiple bookers on them and it doesn’t alway mean success. They have gone 2,3 and 4 years with out sticking one. Best way to deal with it is just keep going. Their not called trophy’s because everyone gets one every year….. I am still kicking myself for not taking a low 150 lastyear cause I saw a 160+ the day before. Now this year I didn’t even see a deer that went over 125, and there were 3 that were shot in the same area as me that did go book.

Maybe next year, thats what keeps up coming back@!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

No horns for this guy either. Patience breeds points!!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

No horns for this guy either. Patience breeds points!!!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I gottta agree with amwatson…and remember this is a passion you enjoy…a relaxing past time…I go nuts hearin about all these people going out in the woods for a weekend and coming home with a hanger…but thats why its called huntin and not shootin..next week is when you shot yours last year coppertop…and i shot mine a week later so it still may be coming…plus go look at your office walls…u have nothin to complain about…good luck randy…dont get too up ….plenty of time left.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I gottta agree with amwatson…and remember this is a passion you enjoy…a relaxing past time…I go nuts hearin about all these people going out in the woods for a weekend and coming home with a hanger…but thats why its called huntin and not shootin..next week is when you shot yours last year coppertop…and i shot mine a week later so it still may be coming…plus go look at your office walls…u have nothin to complain about…good luck randy…dont get too up ….plenty of time left.

shayla

If it makes you feel any better I believe the best time to kill a BIG buck is the last couple days of the season! All the hype over the years about the rut being the best time is misleading because bucks are so unpredictable then as to what their patterns will be. Come late December there is no question where they will be….near the food!!! I have shot 5 bucks with a bow that would qualify for P&Y and every one of them came after Christmas…of which only one was killed on private land! Keep your chin up, like anything else a guy can go from Zero to Hero just like that!

shayla

If it makes you feel any better I believe the best time to kill a BIG buck is the last couple days of the season! All the hype over the years about the rut being the best time is misleading because bucks are so unpredictable then as to what their patterns will be. Come late December there is no question where they will be….near the food!!! I have shot 5 bucks with a bow that would qualify for P&Y and every one of them came after Christmas…of which only one was killed on private land! Keep your chin up, like anything else a guy can go from Zero to Hero just like that!

WalleyeBuster
    Central MN

Copperman,, I have not seen a good buck in 2 years. Please hold me!

DONOTDELETE

Copperman,, I have not seen a good buck in 2 years. Please hold me!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I just went on a 15 out of 19 day hunting barage and I have 3 does and some awesome memories to show for it, but no Mr. BIG. I was hunting for Mr.Big pretty much each and every day. I had multiple encounters with a few, but just never came together. I have been on a every other year harvest of a nice buck. This is not my year to take one. Bow Hunting makes it that much tougher. If I was Rifle hunting alll those days I would of had a chance at 4 bucks 145″ or larger less than 50 yards. Bow hunting is a tough and demanding sport day in day out. It is emotionally, mentally and physically demanding.

Slip is right, next to the pre-rut and 2nd rut I love late season. Something special and mysterious about hunting in the snow and the bucks have one thing on their mind…………..FOOD!

Quote:

a guy can go from Zero to Hero just like that

IN A FLASH

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I just went on a 15 out of 19 day hunting barage and I have 3 does and some awesome memories to show for it, but no Mr. BIG. I was hunting for Mr.Big pretty much each and every day. I had multiple encounters with a few, but just never came together. I have been on a every other year harvest of a nice buck. This is not my year to take one. Bow Hunting makes it that much tougher. If I was Rifle hunting alll those days I would of had a chance at 4 bucks 145″ or larger less than 50 yards. Bow hunting is a tough and demanding sport day in day out. It is emotionally, mentally and physically demanding.

Slip is right, next to the pre-rut and 2nd rut I love late season. Something special and mysterious about hunting in the snow and the bucks have one thing on their mind…………..FOOD!

Quote:

a guy can go from Zero to Hero just like that

IN A FLASH

the_grump
    Le Center

If it was easy it wouldn’t be the same, at least thats what I keep telling myself!
    I did my part to help with deer management in northern Mn
    (3 does) but from here on out I am in quest of one for the wall.

If it doesn’t happen there is always next year, but at least I got to spend some time hunting with family and friends. And thats hard to beat

the_grump
    Le Center

If it was easy it wouldn’t be the same, at least thats what I keep telling myself!
    I did my part to help with deer management in northern Mn
    (3 does) but from here on out I am in quest of one for the wall.

If it doesn’t happen there is always next year, but at least I got to spend some time hunting with family and friends. And thats hard to beat

coppertop
    Central MN

Watts, Thanks and as for mature bucks on these properties, they all have them just not many and plenty of 1.5-2.5 yr olds. I have seen 2 shooters this year on 3 different occasions, just no shot offered or just too far. I have taken it easy since firearms close, just w-ends due to time change. Thanks for easing my feelings a bit. Relax, take a deep breath, O.K. now I feel better.

coppertop
    Central MN

Watts, Thanks and as for mature bucks on these properties, they all have them just not many and plenty of 1.5-2.5 yr olds. I have seen 2 shooters this year on 3 different occasions, just no shot offered or just too far. I have taken it easy since firearms close, just w-ends due to time change. Thanks for easing my feelings a bit. Relax, take a deep breath, O.K. now I feel better.

mark winkels

I spent the last three years looking for a trophy and have come up empty handed. This year i bought a management tag and my luck still has not changed much. The best chance I have had is on a fawn. I couple small bucks have given me a shot but i just did not want to use the tag yet. I have been so but at the same time it has been the best learning experience. It takes skill but i think it takes a lot of luck too! Good luck!

mark winkels

I spent the last three years looking for a trophy and have come up empty handed. This year i bought a management tag and my luck still has not changed much. The best chance I have had is on a fawn. I couple small bucks have given me a shot but i just did not want to use the tag yet. I have been so but at the same time it has been the best learning experience. It takes skill but i think it takes a lot of luck too! Good luck!

coppertop
    Central MN

Wats,Gator,Bucky,Blue,Rat,Slip,Buster,Lip,Grump and Winkels, Thank you guys alot. I know I’m not the only one but at times it sure feels like it as some of you do also. It’s just hard to hear about the w-end warriors going out opening morning and being blessed. I guess if it happened every year I wouldn’t have the same appreciation. There’s just nothing like seeing a “dandy” in the wild get your blood pumping. I definately am looking forward to taking it to the end of season with snow, less hunters, and a special winter wheat field. I hope I didn’t come off as a cry baby. Just tired of waking up and the deer I shot in my dreams is not hanging in the garage. Thanks again everyone and hopefully yours and my luck will turn around. GOOD LUCK to all!!!!

coppertop
    Central MN

Wats,Gator,Bucky,Blue,Rat,Slip,Buster,Lip,Grump and Winkels, Thank you guys alot. I know I’m not the only one but at times it sure feels like it as some of you do also. It’s just hard to hear about the w-end warriors going out opening morning and being blessed. I guess if it happened every year I wouldn’t have the same appreciation. There’s just nothing like seeing a “dandy” in the wild get your blood pumping. I definately am looking forward to taking it to the end of season with snow, less hunters, and a special winter wheat field. I hope I didn’t come off as a cry baby. Just tired of waking up and the deer I shot in my dreams is not hanging in the garage. Thanks again everyone and hopefully yours and my luck will turn around. GOOD LUCK to all!!!!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

It seems as though many are downing huge bucks when your surfing the web. Random pictures popping up all the time. Many do get lucky but most who do it year after year have something figured out. A spot on a spot and time in the stand. The last couple years the big bucks came easy for me. This year I had 20+ mornings and evenings consecutive in the stand before I got it done.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

It seems as though many are downing huge bucks when your surfing the web. Random pictures popping up all the time. Many do get lucky but most who do it year after year have something figured out. A spot on a spot and time in the stand. The last couple years the big bucks came easy for me. This year I had 20+ mornings and evenings consecutive in the stand before I got it done.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am still waiting too…. If it happens, great, if not,I am still having a blast with it !!!

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am still waiting too…. If it happens, great, if not,I am still having a blast with it !!!

big g

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Coppertop,

Here’s a quick story that’ll get ya goin’. My uncle owns a nice sized farm and has a bunch of family members who come out and hunt it. Everyone sits, and they don’t make too many drives the opening weekend or so.

So, one of the hunters is a younger cousin of mine. She gets one of the better stands and sits out there hoping to see a Deer. I believe it’s the end of the weekend and she hasn’t seen a thing. So they rotate stands and my Uncle draws that stand. That next day, he sees 3 different shooter Bucks. Including one beauty 11ptr which he harvested.

It’s difficult to stay positive, but persistence pays off. Mr. Big can stick his head out at any time, on any day. Keep plugging away and I’m sure it will all pay off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.