Muzzleloader Question

• Farmboy
    Dodge Center, MN

I have hunted with bow and shotgun, but never with the smoke pole. I am thinking about getting one before the season, but don’t want to spend a lot of money. Fleet Farm, Cabela’s, and Gander all have a starter kit with a CVA muzzleloader for under $200. Is this worth the money? Or should I spend a little more and get a better quality? Or should I save my money and just finish out the season with the bow?

eyebuster
    Duluth

Buddy of mine has a CVA that he got pretty cheap we found out last weekend that his rear site is loose and moves after every shot! I just got a thompson Omega Z5 $300 and am very happy with it!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Buddy of mine has a CVA that he got pretty cheap we found out last weekend that his rear site is loose and moves after every shot! I just got a thompson Omega Z5 $300 and am very happy with it!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

TC Omega 50 cal is the way to go . Love mine

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I paid about $100 for my muzzle loader. I had it sited in within 5 shots and it has never miss fired. It’s an inline that uses the 209 primer. Easy to take apart and clean. I have hunted 3 years with it and taken 2 shots and both were quick clean kills.

~SKINEBOY~

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I paid about $100 for my muzzle loader. I had it sited in within 5 shots and it has never miss fired. It’s an inline that uses the 209 primer. Easy to take apart and clean. I have hunted 3 years with it and taken 2 shots and both were quick clean kills.

~SKINEBOY~

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

I would suggest that you invest in a better grade… the better firearms have warranties that warrant the higher price. I am the second owner of a 15 year old TC and when I had an issue they immmediately sent new parts from just a phone call… that is good customer service. I have heard good things about Knight also but they are moving south out of Iowa now so – guess my suggestion would be to move up to a starter level TC and be happy with the great gun you will own for years to come – and know that it was built right the first time… eliminates issues later. Your results may vary, Chuckles

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

I would suggest that you invest in a better grade… the better firearms have warranties that warrant the higher price. I am the second owner of a 15 year old TC and when I had an issue they immmediately sent new parts from just a phone call… that is good customer service. I have heard good things about Knight also but they are moving south out of Iowa now so – guess my suggestion would be to move up to a starter level TC and be happy with the great gun you will own for years to come – and know that it was built right the first time… eliminates issues later. Your results may vary, Chuckles

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

TC Omega or Encore. The only way to go! The omega has a less expensive model and shoot great!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

TC Omega or Encore. The only way to go! The omega has a less expensive model and shoot great!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Best advice you will get, my choice also Talk about laying the smack down on um

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Best advice you will get, my choice also Talk about laying the smack down on um

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I own a CVA and a Winchester X-150, now in this post someone made a remark about the rear site. Now my brother and I both have the X-150 and both guns have had issues with the rear sight from factory, his being stripped out and mine being stripped to the point they snapped the screw. I have not had any problems with my CVA, but again it is your cheaper gun it is light easily disassembled and cleaned,and shooting wise I have not had an issue. Owned the CVA for near 5 years now and the X-150 for 2 years,when I leave the house I usually take the CVA just because of the weight difference when pushing or dragging out of the field. Now remember if you choose the Encore some of there models require you to go thru the permit to purchase a long gun due to the option of exchanging out the barrels, rifle etc.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I own a CVA and a Winchester X-150, now in this post someone made a remark about the rear site. Now my brother and I both have the X-150 and both guns have had issues with the rear sight from factory, his being stripped out and mine being stripped to the point they snapped the screw. I have not had any problems with my CVA, but again it is your cheaper gun it is light easily disassembled and cleaned,and shooting wise I have not had an issue. Owned the CVA for near 5 years now and the X-150 for 2 years,when I leave the house I usually take the CVA just because of the weight difference when pushing or dragging out of the field. Now remember if you choose the Encore some of there models require you to go thru the permit to purchase a long gun due to the option of exchanging out the barrels, rifle etc.

pahaarstad
    metro

I got the TC Omaga an love it. Well worth the extra $100 or so.

pahaarstad
    metro

I got the TC Omaga an love it. Well worth the extra $100 or so.

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Here is my experiences with the muzzelloaders I have owned.

My first was a TC Omega…thumbhole laminate with the stainless fluted barrel. When I bought it the TC Encore Pro Hunter was not on the market yet and from the recommendations of others this is the route I went.

I sold it about 6 months after buying it(I got wind the TC Pro Hunter was soon to be released) and my only beef with it was that after 3-4 powerbelts (with 2-50gr. 777 Pellets) I had to clean the muzzleloader. This made for a significant amount of range time. Funny thing is that after I sold that one I bought a CVA Optima Pro that does the same thing. Each projectile fired seemed to just add more fouling.

However, I have been very pleased with my TC Encore Pro Hunter(At lease at the range) as I can fire 5 rounds and still be able to push the 6th powerbelt just as far down as the first one. If I had tried to do this with my Omega or CVA Optima I wouldn’t have been able to as the fouling prevented this, I dont think I could have pushed the 5th powerbelt down if I laid on the ramrod and jumped up and down…of course the ramrod may have something to do with this as well as the Pro Hunter comes with a nice T handled ramrod.

Anyone else out there seeing fouling issues with their Omega or Optima Pro?

I guess my recommendation is if you are going to spend the money buy a TC. I really do think they make some great firearms.

Good luck in your search.

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Here is my experiences with the muzzelloaders I have owned.

My first was a TC Omega…thumbhole laminate with the stainless fluted barrel. When I bought it the TC Encore Pro Hunter was not on the market yet and from the recommendations of others this is the route I went.

I sold it about 6 months after buying it(I got wind the TC Pro Hunter was soon to be released) and my only beef with it was that after 3-4 powerbelts (with 2-50gr. 777 Pellets) I had to clean the muzzleloader. This made for a significant amount of range time. Funny thing is that after I sold that one I bought a CVA Optima Pro that does the same thing. Each projectile fired seemed to just add more fouling.

However, I have been very pleased with my TC Encore Pro Hunter(At lease at the range) as I can fire 5 rounds and still be able to push the 6th powerbelt just as far down as the first one. If I had tried to do this with my Omega or CVA Optima I wouldn’t have been able to as the fouling prevented this, I dont think I could have pushed the 5th powerbelt down if I laid on the ramrod and jumped up and down…of course the ramrod may have something to do with this as well as the Pro Hunter comes with a nice T handled ramrod.

Anyone else out there seeing fouling issues with their Omega or Optima Pro?

I guess my recommendation is if you are going to spend the money buy a TC. I really do think they make some great firearms.

Good luck in your search.

coppertop
    Central MN

Sunny, I believe the issue is with your powder and not the gun?

coppertop
    Central MN

Sunny, I believe the issue is with your powder and not the gun?

coppertop
    Central MN

Last year I purchased the CVA Optima from fleet farm. The first thing I did when I got it home was removed the screws attaching the sights and loc-tited them on. I’ve yet to have one come loose although I’ only fired it roughly 15 times.

coppertop
    Central MN

Last year I purchased the CVA Optima from fleet farm. The first thing I did when I got it home was removed the screws attaching the sights and loc-tited them on. I’ve yet to have one come loose although I’ only fired it roughly 15 times.

robby
    Quad Cities

I shoot a Knight USAK. The cheapest Knight I believe they ever produced. The stock does not even have a recoil pad, but man does it shoot. All Knights have Green Mountain barrels, probably the best muzzleloader barrels made. I am shooting 50 cal. 245 grain Powerbelt Aerotips, pushed by 130grains of Triple 7, and using Remington Cleanbore muzzleloader 209 primers. It is really important to not use regular 209 shotgun primers because they are very dirty burning, foul the chamber badly, and have too much power. They have found that regular 209 primers actually push the charge and projectile down the barrel a bit before the powder ignites. Anyways, with my set up, using a scope, and off of a rest I literally get cloverleaf patterns(bullet holes touching) at 200 yards. Pretty impressive. I have owned high powers that could not do that. Another thing I should mention about this rifle is that it has a pretty nice trigger. An honest 3 lbs from the factory. The only three down sides to this rifle that I can see is the cheap stock, the barrel is only 22 or 24 inches long, and to completely clean the rifle I have to take it apart. Not really a big deal. The only things I have really done to ensure accurracy was to buy quality STEEL rings and lap the rings when I mounted the scope. I have considered getting a different, fancier muzzleloader, but cannot bring myself to do it when I have a gun that shoots this well.

robby
    Quad Cities

I shoot a Knight USAK. The cheapest Knight I believe they ever produced. The stock does not even have a recoil pad, but man does it shoot. All Knights have Green Mountain barrels, probably the best muzzleloader barrels made. I am shooting 50 cal. 245 grain Powerbelt Aerotips, pushed by 130grains of Triple 7, and using Remington Cleanbore muzzleloader 209 primers. It is really important to not use regular 209 shotgun primers because they are very dirty burning, foul the chamber badly, and have too much power. They have found that regular 209 primers actually push the charge and projectile down the barrel a bit before the powder ignites. Anyways, with my set up, using a scope, and off of a rest I literally get cloverleaf patterns(bullet holes touching) at 200 yards. Pretty impressive. I have owned high powers that could not do that. Another thing I should mention about this rifle is that it has a pretty nice trigger. An honest 3 lbs from the factory. The only three down sides to this rifle that I can see is the cheap stock, the barrel is only 22 or 24 inches long, and to completely clean the rifle I have to take it apart. Not really a big deal. The only things I have really done to ensure accurracy was to buy quality STEEL rings and lap the rings when I mounted the scope. I have considered getting a different, fancier muzzleloader, but cannot bring myself to do it when I have a gun that shoots this well.

Trubass
    MN

FarmBoy, I would suggest a CVA kit to find out if you like it or not. From my understanding there are only 3 barrel manufactures for muzzleloaders and CVA has been around the longest. The kits are cheap the guns are deadly accurate and if you are lucky enough your first year as I was you will tag a 14 point non-typical as I did. Good Luck

Trubass
    MN

FarmBoy, I would suggest a CVA kit to find out if you like it or not. From my understanding there are only 3 barrel manufactures for muzzleloaders and CVA has been around the longest. The kits are cheap the guns are deadly accurate and if you are lucky enough your first year as I was you will tag a 14 point non-typical as I did. Good Luck

Farmboy
    Dodge Center, MN

Thanks for all the input. It is nice to get all this advice, but in the end I chose the CVA Kodiak. A buddy has one and has had no trouble with it at all. The Kodiak has the 28″ barrel and metal sites but still retails for less than $200 for the blue on black. Plus has a limited lifetime warranty. Another question – the Cabela’s guy suggested that it needs to have 100 rounds run through it to season the barrel. He sold me a box of round balls for this which is not going to cost much, but I was wondering if 100 rounds is really necessary. I did plan on spending some time on the range with it this week, but wanted to get some input on how many rounds I should put through it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.