Deer drives

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

The pressure on the public land is normally high. There are a lot of “non locals” down there that don’t always follow the rules, if you catch my drift. The public land is numerous, but sometimes very hard to get to. We have permission on a bunch of private land, just to get to the state land, meaning often landlocked.

If someone was to put some time in and bowhunt the area, they could do well, but there is a lot of land to cover, and not having a place to stay would hamper any major hunting plans over the course of a year. The gun season gets hit hard, in both seasons.

As far as drives being dangerous, we have the talk every year about safe shooting lanes. This area is river bottoms, meaning large hills, knobs, and valleys. Most of the areas we hunt are almost a 45degree angle straight up. We try to always work them with the hill (walking sidehills). In our group, there is absolutely no shooting downhill, or uphill, all shots must be taken straight ahead, or you must be able to see everyone around you. I have let more then a few deer walk past me when I did not know where others in the group are. But there is no deer worth the life of a member of the group.

Shoot straight, and be safe

Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.