Deer drives

• Besox

I am trying to figure out how people can do a deer drive right through a strip of woods(public)that has several stand hunters set up and very visable. Walk right up to and past the people in a stand like they were not even there! If you can’t handle sitting in a stand that’s fine, deer drives are fine. Just do not disrespect the other hunters in that area who are trying to stand hunt. I know a lot of you use drives and please do not be offended, just remember what’s happening to all those permantent stand people who go overboard on public land.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We do Deer drives because there are too many people in our group to find stands for. Many of our drives are so big/long that we don’t have the opportunity to see if there’s anyone who’s going to be in the way of the drive until it’s too late. I’m sure it’s frustrating for the guys caught in the middle, but I know for the guys making the drives, it’s frustrating seeing the big Deer those guys shoot when they are caught in the middle.

That’s part of hunting on public grounds. There’s a good side & a bad side.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We do Deer drives because there are too many people in our group to find stands for. Many of our drives are so big/long that we don’t have the opportunity to see if there’s anyone who’s going to be in the way of the drive until it’s too late. I’m sure it’s frustrating for the guys caught in the middle, but I know for the guys making the drives, it’s frustrating seeing the big Deer those guys shoot when they are caught in the middle.

That’s part of hunting on public grounds. There’s a good side & a bad side.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I gotta agree with Blue. We do a bunch of drives as well, many that go from private-state or vice versa. I don’t know when we start where guys are, or if they are at all.

Our group has been hunting the same sections of land now for 3 generations, and the locals all know who we are, and where we are going to be. We make every attempt to stay out of their way and they do the same.

The guys who chap my behind, are the guys who started hunting here because they heard it was good, and expect us to get out of their way, because they can hunt public land too. I guess it works both ways

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I gotta agree with Blue. We do a bunch of drives as well, many that go from private-state or vice versa. I don’t know when we start where guys are, or if they are at all.

Our group has been hunting the same sections of land now for 3 generations, and the locals all know who we are, and where we are going to be. We make every attempt to stay out of their way and they do the same.

The guys who chap my behind, are the guys who started hunting here because they heard it was good, and expect us to get out of their way, because they can hunt public land too. I guess it works both ways

shayla

Are you opposed to anchoring-up below the dam when everyone one else is drifting? Same thing, some want to do it one way, others another…..we just have to learn to get along.

shayla

Are you opposed to anchoring-up below the dam when everyone one else is drifting? Same thing, some want to do it one way, others another…..we just have to learn to get along.

starkj25

you can put permanent stands on public land???

starkj25

you can put permanent stands on public land???

Besox

Maybe I have the problem.
    When I see someone hunting an area, I leave and look for another spot.
    When I see a boat on some structure I want to fish I stay back, or leave and look for another spot.
    When I am grouse hunting and I think there may be a bowhunter parked in an area I move on.
    I try to always keep in mind the land is for all to use and first come first served is the way to go. I treat other hunters the way I would want to be treated. I would never purposely walk in/around someone sitting in a stand.

Besox

Maybe I have the problem.
    When I see someone hunting an area, I leave and look for another spot.
    When I see a boat on some structure I want to fish I stay back, or leave and look for another spot.
    When I am grouse hunting and I think there may be a bowhunter parked in an area I move on.
    I try to always keep in mind the land is for all to use and first come first served is the way to go. I treat other hunters the way I would want to be treated. I would never purposely walk in/around someone sitting in a stand.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

This is why I don’t deer hunt any more!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

This is why I don’t deer hunt any more!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I used to hunt with a group that did drives but there was just too-much “not knowing exactly where everybody was” going on for my liking. I always got that feeling of pending doom. For the past 6 or 7 years now I have hunted by myself most of the time from a treestand (and I’ve gotten a deer every year) and I feel much safer. However a few of these years there has been a large group of people drive the adjoining property and continue right thru the property I am hunting. Most of the guys have no idea who’s land they are on. I wouldn’t mind so much but the corner I hunt is only about 40 acres. I have had guys walk right under my tree on numerous occasions. They can see me dressed in my blaze orange so you would think they would steer clear and at least go around the area. They can only drive another 100 yards past my stand anyway because if they go any further they would fall off of a 150 foot cliff. I think that if you see someone in a treestand that you should steer your path around them and give them plenty of room. I mean you can’t miss them unless you are totally color blind. That is just common courtesy. Plus you never know how the guy in the stand might react.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I used to hunt with a group that did drives but there was just too-much “not knowing exactly where everybody was” going on for my liking. I always got that feeling of pending doom. For the past 6 or 7 years now I have hunted by myself most of the time from a treestand (and I’ve gotten a deer every year) and I feel much safer. However a few of these years there has been a large group of people drive the adjoining property and continue right thru the property I am hunting. Most of the guys have no idea who’s land they are on. I wouldn’t mind so much but the corner I hunt is only about 40 acres. I have had guys walk right under my tree on numerous occasions. They can see me dressed in my blaze orange so you would think they would steer clear and at least go around the area. They can only drive another 100 yards past my stand anyway because if they go any further they would fall off of a 150 foot cliff. I think that if you see someone in a treestand that you should steer your path around them and give them plenty of room. I mean you can’t miss them unless you are totally color blind. That is just common courtesy. Plus you never know how the guy in the stand might react.

Eyehunter

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

While the same thing drives me crazy…..twice I have shot nice bucks within 5 minutes of the drivers going right past me in my tree stand as they sneak back the way the drive came from Really watch, because it happens quite often!
    I also caught the largest brook trout of my life (15 incher) right after the sherriff of Forest County waded right up to me and through the hole I was fishing At first I was steamed then I caught the trout
    So…the moral of this story is that good can come from the inconsiderate behavior of fellow hunters/fishers…
    Jon

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

While the same thing drives me crazy…..twice I have shot nice bucks within 5 minutes of the drivers going right past me in my tree stand as they sneak back the way the drive came from Really watch, because it happens quite often!
    I also caught the largest brook trout of my life (15 incher) right after the sherriff of Forest County waded right up to me and through the hole I was fishing At first I was steamed then I caught the trout
    So…the moral of this story is that good can come from the inconsiderate behavior of fellow hunters/fishers…
    Jon

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If I am in a stand and someone is coming by doing a deer drive.. I would rather have them keep on course and get the drive over with vs try to go around me. Once they are walking and see orange… its too late and if there was a deer near you its going to be gone soon.

Public land is difficult. Theres nothing wrong with people doing a drive, its to be expected, especially on the weekends. We do have to share that land.

This is one of the reasons why I only bow hunt when I deer hunt now… at the same time, there are no deer drives going on, but grouse hunters are in no short supply and I have had them shoot towards me at a close distance before.

I hunt private and public land both when I do hunt… I have dealt with the problems in both locations.. and the people didnt have permission to hunt the private land.

There are advantages to hunting public land also.. If your in an area with other hunters, get to your stand very early and often deer will be around at shooting time with everyone slamming car doors and coming into the woods late! Its almost like a deer drive every morning.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If I am in a stand and someone is coming by doing a deer drive.. I would rather have them keep on course and get the drive over with vs try to go around me. Once they are walking and see orange… its too late and if there was a deer near you its going to be gone soon.

Public land is difficult. Theres nothing wrong with people doing a drive, its to be expected, especially on the weekends. We do have to share that land.

This is one of the reasons why I only bow hunt when I deer hunt now… at the same time, there are no deer drives going on, but grouse hunters are in no short supply and I have had them shoot towards me at a close distance before.

I hunt private and public land both when I do hunt… I have dealt with the problems in both locations.. and the people didnt have permission to hunt the private land.

There are advantages to hunting public land also.. If your in an area with other hunters, get to your stand very early and often deer will be around at shooting time with everyone slamming car doors and coming into the woods late! Its almost like a deer drive every morning.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I can’t believe there is any dispute about this one. If I pulled up to a public area and there was a vehicle there, I would leave. I realize that some of these areas are huge, so go hunt a different area. I know deer drives are effective, but they scare the hell out of me. I even have a hard time with people posting during pheasant hunting. Maybe I have a hard time trusting people, but I have heard too many stories about hunters getting caught up in the moment when Mr. Big gets up infront of them. Ok, I said too much, I know deer drives are an important part of hunting.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I can’t believe there is any dispute about this one. If I pulled up to a public area and there was a vehicle there, I would leave. I realize that some of these areas are huge, so go hunt a different area. I know deer drives are effective, but they scare the hell out of me. I even have a hard time with people posting during pheasant hunting. Maybe I have a hard time trusting people, but I have heard too many stories about hunters getting caught up in the moment when Mr. Big gets up infront of them. Ok, I said too much, I know deer drives are an important part of hunting.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If we knew there were people in a section of land, we would not hunt it, but our normal drives consist of controlled “still hunting”. These drives normally take half a day to do. There is no way to know if people are in the drive when we start.

I hate when people mess with my hunt or when I’m fishing, but we all have to try to use a resourse together.

A lot of the state land we hunt, does not have access to it without crossing private land, but there are still people in it when we get there who we know did not have permission. How did they get there without tresspassing? They didn’t. But they are pissed at us for recking their hunt.

Sorry, but I can’t feel bad for you guys. We are all hunting our way, and I will not [censored] at you for sitting in my drive, if you don’t [censored] at me for driving past your stand.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If we knew there were people in a section of land, we would not hunt it, but our normal drives consist of controlled “still hunting”. These drives normally take half a day to do. There is no way to know if people are in the drive when we start.

I hate when people mess with my hunt or when I’m fishing, but we all have to try to use a resourse together.

A lot of the state land we hunt, does not have access to it without crossing private land, but there are still people in it when we get there who we know did not have permission. How did they get there without tresspassing? They didn’t. But they are pissed at us for recking their hunt.

Sorry, but I can’t feel bad for you guys. We are all hunting our way, and I will not [censored] at you for sitting in my drive, if you don’t [censored] at me for driving past your stand.

prieser
    Byron, MN

When it comes right down to it, some people are curtious, some are not. It will frustrate you until the end of time. Try and make the best out of the situation, and hopefully that 200″ bruiser will come sneaking back from behind the drivers. But, then they will probably claim that they shot it anyway. Either way your screwed I guess

prieser
    Byron, MN

When it comes right down to it, some people are curtious, some are not. It will frustrate you until the end of time. Try and make the best out of the situation, and hopefully that 200″ bruiser will come sneaking back from behind the drivers. But, then they will probably claim that they shot it anyway. Either way your screwed I guess

Besox

Farmboy, just wondering? If you seen 15 boats anchored on a reef would speed troll through them, weave in and ot of them? Not picking on you, just get a vibe that you are of the mind that you will do what you want regardless of the situation.

Besox

Farmboy, just wondering? If you seen 15 boats anchored on a reef would speed troll through them, weave in and ot of them? Not picking on you, just get a vibe that you are of the mind that you will do what you want regardless of the situation.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

How is a deer drive party supposed to know Exactly where you are on public land?

Like somebody mentioned above, by the time they do come across you it is already too late, so why not just walk through as fast and efficent as possible???

I don’t know about the public land you are on, but i’ve hunted some public land before – seen cars at an entrance -and Never saw a soul the whole day.

Stuff like this happens on public land…..and your “on the water” comparisons really aren’t comparisons at all.

I’m not trying to come down on you, Just feel it’s not worth complaining about. It’s reason’s like this though that are driving private land prices up the roof –Everyone wants private land so they don’t have to deal w/this type of thing…..there just isn’t enough land to go around so we have to make due with what you’ve got.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

How is a deer drive party supposed to know Exactly where you are on public land?

Like somebody mentioned above, by the time they do come across you it is already too late, so why not just walk through as fast and efficent as possible???

I don’t know about the public land you are on, but i’ve hunted some public land before – seen cars at an entrance -and Never saw a soul the whole day.

Stuff like this happens on public land…..and your “on the water” comparisons really aren’t comparisons at all.

I’m not trying to come down on you, Just feel it’s not worth complaining about. It’s reason’s like this though that are driving private land prices up the roof –Everyone wants private land so they don’t have to deal w/this type of thing…..there just isn’t enough land to go around so we have to make due with what you’ve got.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If I were able to see the boats, I would not go through them. The problem exists when we do not know who, or where people are. I cannot look out for everyone in every situation.

I will continue to do drives in this area. It is the way this group has hunted for 3 generations, and I am not going to tell them what to do. I’m sorry that you get angered when people do drives through “your” area, but there is little if anything you can do on public land.

With that said, when I want to hunt, I go bowhunting. It is a challenge to get a deer with a bow, there are no other people in the woods, I can look out for myself and myself only, but this deer camp is tradition, and for you or anyone else to tell me that the way we hunt is wrong because you are not doing it, is wrong.

I am not trying to stir the pot here, because we all need to share the land, but how am I supposed to look out for other people, when I don’t know who they are, where they are, or even if they are actually there? I try to show courtesy when in the woods, on the water, or anywhere I am, but this is one situation where I will continue to do drives, and share in the rich deer hunting tradition my party offers me.

I wish you good luck if you are hunting this weekend. Shoot straight

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.