Moving MN gun season out of the rut

• SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

In Iowa the secondary rut is going during gun season. Does that were not bred cycle again in 30 day plus some doe yearlings .At times it can be better because of the competion for fewer does. If Mn would move off the primary rut survival rates for mature bucks would increase in my opinion.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thats what we were thinking last night. next weekend could be a whole different story. I seen one doe on saturday, came ambling by eating, about 30 yards away. I was waiting for the buck behind her… Not happening. I will say i heard tons of shots fired, but I am guessing it was at doe’s, as Portside had very few bucks registered as of 7:30 last night.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thats what we were thinking last night. next weekend could be a whole different story. I seen one doe on saturday, came ambling by eating, about 30 yards away. I was waiting for the buck behind her… Not happening. I will say i heard tons of shots fired, but I am guessing it was at doe’s, as Portside had very few bucks registered as of 7:30 last night.

big g

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

The bucks were as crazy where i was hunting in SE MN as i’ve ever seen them. I had scrapes under every overhanging tree branch along the edge of the woods. I was in a great funnel and had 3 bucks come trolling through at about 15 yards saturday AM and a 4th buck i grunted in. Sunday morning right at first light i heard a buck grunting like a pig and here was a good one back behind me. I grunted at him and he wheeled around on a dime and headed in my direction but unfortunately due too stupidity on my part he didnt come all the way in. Other than the 1st hour of each day the action was not good. The full moon was the factor there. As far as moving the season back, it would be great. Those young bucks were crazy stupid where i was and im sure in many areas. I passed them up but thats my choice, most hunters i dont think do though and thats also their choice. Move the season back so those young bucks arent so vulnerable. Get them through a gun season and get some wisdom and you’ll get more mature bucks around. Going a bit deeper, like talking zone 3, the DNR has taken a step forward in granting some doe tags that first season. But my god a 7 day season geared almost exclusevly on harvesting bucks??? You ever heard of anything so stupid??? Parties of 10 guys that can only harvest bucks but also want some venison for the next year, of course they will take any buck that comes by and i dont blame them! But give them the absolute option too take a doe. That zone needs an overhaul on its season structure so badly. And the area is so overrun with does it needs more does taken!

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

The bucks were as crazy where i was hunting in SE MN as i’ve ever seen them. I had scrapes under every overhanging tree branch along the edge of the woods. I was in a great funnel and had 3 bucks come trolling through at about 15 yards saturday AM and a 4th buck i grunted in. Sunday morning right at first light i heard a buck grunting like a pig and here was a good one back behind me. I grunted at him and he wheeled around on a dime and headed in my direction but unfortunately due too stupidity on my part he didnt come all the way in. Other than the 1st hour of each day the action was not good. The full moon was the factor there. As far as moving the season back, it would be great. Those young bucks were crazy stupid where i was and im sure in many areas. I passed them up but thats my choice, most hunters i dont think do though and thats also their choice. Move the season back so those young bucks arent so vulnerable. Get them through a gun season and get some wisdom and you’ll get more mature bucks around. Going a bit deeper, like talking zone 3, the DNR has taken a step forward in granting some doe tags that first season. But my god a 7 day season geared almost exclusevly on harvesting bucks??? You ever heard of anything so stupid??? Parties of 10 guys that can only harvest bucks but also want some venison for the next year, of course they will take any buck that comes by and i dont blame them! But give them the absolute option too take a doe. That zone needs an overhaul on its season structure so badly. And the area is so overrun with does it needs more does taken!

HYBES
    SE MN

Yes,moving the season back 2 weeks is the answer.Perhaps split the state in half.I grew up in Iowa and now reside in se MN and there is a big difference. Not to say there is a 10 pointer behind every tree like Buffalo Co. ….he he…..And its not all about cover as its quite obvious when your pheasant hunting(IA) and you see the big ones in the open country.They are there cause there is no gun hunting during the rut,plain and simple. Deer hunters have to voice there opinions.Whether its MDHA,Blufflands,people in office or whatever…let it be known how you feel about this issue.In deer hunters we have numbers,lots of them.SPEAK OUT !!Look what a few flyfishermen(minority)and (with help in St.Paul) did with the rules in se mn… if we can get those same people to help implement the delay in the gun opener…we should have it made. Do you think there are more flyfishermen than deer hunters?? heck no !

HYBES
    SE MN

Yes,moving the season back 2 weeks is the answer.Perhaps split the state in half.I grew up in Iowa and now reside in se MN and there is a big difference. Not to say there is a 10 pointer behind every tree like Buffalo Co. ….he he…..And its not all about cover as its quite obvious when your pheasant hunting(IA) and you see the big ones in the open country.They are there cause there is no gun hunting during the rut,plain and simple. Deer hunters have to voice there opinions.Whether its MDHA,Blufflands,people in office or whatever…let it be known how you feel about this issue.In deer hunters we have numbers,lots of them.SPEAK OUT !!Look what a few flyfishermen(minority)and (with help in St.Paul) did with the rules in se mn… if we can get those same people to help implement the delay in the gun opener…we should have it made. Do you think there are more flyfishermen than deer hunters?? heck no !

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Keep the post alive! We NEED to move the season back to the end of November. That will be the only way this state can once again become the home of a well balanced herd which in turn means bigger bucks!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Keep the post alive! We NEED to move the season back to the end of November. That will be the only way this state can once again become the home of a well balanced herd which in turn means bigger bucks!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.