Moving MN gun season out of the rut

• Finny
    Minnesota

I am just wondering what other guys think about this idea.

What I would like to see happen in the near future is to move the gun season out of the rut. There is a reason why Iowa, Kansas and Illinois have alot of big bucks. They don’t have there gun season in the middle of the rut, that that would help all the 4 and 6 pointers get a chance to get big. This would make MN a great deer hunting state for trophy bucks. Just my thoughts take them as you want.
    Josh

scottsteil
    Central MN

I agree 100% but good luck getting it done. At least one week later would be nice, two even better.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I agree 100% but good luck getting it done. At least one week later would be nice, two even better.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Personal opinion it is the way it is because other states are later so that they can get the out of state money!

Just my opinion there are probably other reasons!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Personal opinion it is the way it is because other states are later so that they can get the out of state money!

Just my opinion there are probably other reasons!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It would be one of the better ideas I have heard in a while. It would let the big bucks breed (pass on good genetics) before being hunted. That way, if they are harvested, the pass “big Buck” Genes to the next generation.

I have been beating this drum for a number of years. Git er Done.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It would be one of the better ideas I have heard in a while. It would let the big bucks breed (pass on good genetics) before being hunted. That way, if they are harvested, the pass “big Buck” Genes to the next generation.

I have been beating this drum for a number of years. Git er Done.

WalleyeBuster
    Central MN

4 Points or better on one side. Rule lifted for 16 and under with no party hunting on a 16 and under buck tag. It will give most young bucks a chance to reach 2 1/2.

DONOTDELETE

4 Points or better on one side. Rule lifted for 16 and under with no party hunting on a 16 and under buck tag. It will give most young bucks a chance to reach 2 1/2.

shayla

I’m all for moving the gun hunt back 2 weeks, because I mainly bowhunt! But, like it’s been suggested, good luck getting that to pass! On the other hand, I am totally against a points restriction. Where I hunt, up near Ely, the last thing I have time or want to do is count points! If I see a deer up there I usually have a few seconds to make my shot or he’s gone! I also think that rule leaves too much to chance on the part of the person making the shot. Say a young excited hunter, a hunter with an itchy trigger finger, or possibly someone that just doesn’t see as well as they used to sees antler and pulls the trigger….Hunter walks up to it and says “Gee, I thought I counted 4 points?”….what do you suppose is gonna happen to that deer? 9 times out of 10 I’m willing to bet it will get left behind or snuck out after dark without a tag. That’s my opinion against antler point restrictions….too much room for error!

shayla

I’m all for moving the gun hunt back 2 weeks, because I mainly bowhunt! But, like it’s been suggested, good luck getting that to pass! On the other hand, I am totally against a points restriction. Where I hunt, up near Ely, the last thing I have time or want to do is count points! If I see a deer up there I usually have a few seconds to make my shot or he’s gone! I also think that rule leaves too much to chance on the part of the person making the shot. Say a young excited hunter, a hunter with an itchy trigger finger, or possibly someone that just doesn’t see as well as they used to sees antler and pulls the trigger….Hunter walks up to it and says “Gee, I thought I counted 4 points?”….what do you suppose is gonna happen to that deer? 9 times out of 10 I’m willing to bet it will get left behind or snuck out after dark without a tag. That’s my opinion against antler point restrictions….too much room for error!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I WOULD BE 100% IN FAVOR OF MOVING IT BACK 2 WEEKS…NOT ONLY BECAUSE IM A BOWHUNTER BUT IT WOULD GIVE MANY BUCKS THE CHANCE TO REACH PRIME GROWTH…THEN EVERYONE BENEFITS

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

I WOULD BE 100% IN FAVOR OF MOVING IT BACK 2 WEEKS…NOT ONLY BECAUSE IM A BOWHUNTER BUT IT WOULD GIVE MANY BUCKS THE CHANCE TO REACH PRIME GROWTH…THEN EVERYONE BENEFITS

Finny
    Minnesota

Where would a guy even start to try and get something like this done?

Finny
    Minnesota

Where would a guy even start to try and get something like this done?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Did any body really have a good rut going in their area ? We were up East of Mille Lacs a little, and seen very little sign of any rut going on. All the hunters we talked to, didn’t see bucks aggresively chasing does and very little scrapes seen. I believe the rut will kick in soon, but I don’t think it has yet. Another thought, with the moon as full as it is, they are probably cruising more at night yet.

Opinions ?

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Did any body really have a good rut going in their area ? We were up East of Mille Lacs a little, and seen very little sign of any rut going on. All the hunters we talked to, didn’t see bucks aggresively chasing does and very little scrapes seen. I believe the rut will kick in soon, but I don’t think it has yet. Another thought, with the moon as full as it is, they are probably cruising more at night yet.

Opinions ?

big g

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Down here in Iowa the rut is almost always going strong at least during the fist shotgun season which is always begins the first weekend in December. Last year on the opening day I observed bucks still chasing does and have noticed this during several first shotgun seasons. The further south you go in Iowa the later the rut is. I’m sure the further north you go in Minnesota the sooner the rut begins and so forth. A good deal of Iowa’s success in having huge whitetails is the forage. Lots of corn and soybeans as well as tons of thick cover. Bucks love to forage in soybean fields eating the green leaves off of the plants (they don’t eat them once they turn yellow). The nutients in the green soybean leaves are just what the doctor ordered for growing huge antlers. I have a book on whitetails that this is all explained in. Heavily wooded counties like Allamakee and Clayton in NE Iowa have the most B&C entries but they have the roughest and most wooded land in the state. However some of the biggest bucks taken every year are taken from counties without tons of timber. Big bucks like open areas. You can see them but many times can’t get close enough to them. You have to remember that we have to use shotguns with slugs during our any-sex gun seasons.

Even if Minnesota waited until after the rut for their gun season you would still be taking the same number of deer as you do during the rut. Does would already be bred so you really wouldn’t gain much unless you were not able to take does. 1-1/2 year old bucks would still get shot. Some mature bucks would be able to pass on their genetics if the does they breed make it.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Down here in Iowa the rut is almost always going strong at least during the fist shotgun season which is always begins the first weekend in December. Last year on the opening day I observed bucks still chasing does and have noticed this during several first shotgun seasons. The further south you go in Iowa the later the rut is. I’m sure the further north you go in Minnesota the sooner the rut begins and so forth. A good deal of Iowa’s success in having huge whitetails is the forage. Lots of corn and soybeans as well as tons of thick cover. Bucks love to forage in soybean fields eating the green leaves off of the plants (they don’t eat them once they turn yellow). The nutients in the green soybean leaves are just what the doctor ordered for growing huge antlers. I have a book on whitetails that this is all explained in. Heavily wooded counties like Allamakee and Clayton in NE Iowa have the most B&C entries but they have the roughest and most wooded land in the state. However some of the biggest bucks taken every year are taken from counties without tons of timber. Big bucks like open areas. You can see them but many times can’t get close enough to them. You have to remember that we have to use shotguns with slugs during our any-sex gun seasons.

Even if Minnesota waited until after the rut for their gun season you would still be taking the same number of deer as you do during the rut. Does would already be bred so you really wouldn’t gain much unless you were not able to take does. 1-1/2 year old bucks would still get shot. Some mature bucks would be able to pass on their genetics if the does they breed make it.

Eyehunter

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

G, we saw the same thing straight east of Mille Lacs. Lots of rubs, but ZERO scrapes and no deer chasing anywhere. Seemed like there were far fewer shots taken also. We tried all the tricks, too, and came up empty. Glad you mentioned this because I’ve been wondering the same thing all day long.

Mark

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

G, we saw the same thing straight east of Mille Lacs. Lots of rubs, but ZERO scrapes and no deer chasing anywhere. Seemed like there were far fewer shots taken also. We tried all the tricks, too, and came up empty. Glad you mentioned this because I’ve been wondering the same thing all day long.

Mark

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Lots of rut sign down here had a small buck come flying by grunting on the tail of a doe and rattle and grunted 3 baskets in yeserday afternoon..hunt a non presured area though near the state park but they open up the park this weekend to shotgun

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Lots of rut sign down here had a small buck come flying by grunting on the tail of a doe and rattle and grunted 3 baskets in yeserday afternoon..hunt a non presured area though near the state park but they open up the park this weekend to shotgun

WalleyeBuster
    Central MN

I’m not saying that point counting is the perfect solution. It may not be the best idea, but it has some say. I think they brought up the idea for the Lac qui Parle area a while back but I didn’t hear anything more on the subject.. Has anyone heard of any sample type hunts??

DONOTDELETE

I’m not saying that point counting is the perfect solution. It may not be the best idea, but it has some say. I think they brought up the idea for the Lac qui Parle area a while back but I didn’t hear anything more on the subject.. Has anyone heard of any sample type hunts??

scottsteil
    Central MN

Not to hijack this thread, but G I bowhunted Wed-Fri then gun hunted Sat and Sun. all on our land by Park Rapids.

Thursday we saw our first bucks out during day time. Friday dad had a shot a a shooter buck with his bow. Saturday AM they went crazy, there were big bucks chasing does, running does, etc. It was like the switch got flipped on up there.

The guys hunting around St Cloud said it was very poor. No bucks chasing, very little sign and very poor results. It is still early and it will get better. It just started up North.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Not to hijack this thread, but G I bowhunted Wed-Fri then gun hunted Sat and Sun. all on our land by Park Rapids.

Thursday we saw our first bucks out during day time. Friday dad had a shot a a shooter buck with his bow. Saturday AM they went crazy, there were big bucks chasing does, running does, etc. It was like the switch got flipped on up there.

The guys hunting around St Cloud said it was very poor. No bucks chasing, very little sign and very poor results. It is still early and it will get better. It just started up North.

adloos
    Winona, MN

Great post first off. I went through houston this weekend and stopped by the money creek campground to find 22 bucks hanging and 30 doe hanging. Most of the bucks are little scrub bucks. When they say its buck season, this should mean its buck season, not buck and doe. This is prime breeding time. It needs to be taken back about two weeks.

Since you can shoot a doe or a buck now, there is no hesitation because if its brown its down.

adloos
    Winona, MN

Great post first off. I went through houston this weekend and stopped by the money creek campground to find 22 bucks hanging and 30 doe hanging. Most of the bucks are little scrub bucks. When they say its buck season, this should mean its buck season, not buck and doe. This is prime breeding time. It needs to be taken back about two weeks.

Since you can shoot a doe or a buck now, there is no hesitation because if its brown its down.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

In Iowa the secondary rut is going during gun season. Does that were not bred cycle again in 30 day plus some doe yearlings .At times it can be better because of the competion for fewer does. If Mn would move off the primary rut survival rates for mature bucks would increase in my opinion.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.