Does Scent elimination really work?

• hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Thanks for the articles jarrad.I do not and did not believe in this form of scent elimination but thats me and my opinion(experience).To each his own.

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Thanks for the articles jarrad.I do not and did not believe in this form of scent elimination but thats me and my opinion(experience).To each his own.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve been fortunate enough to run a camera for some pretty big names in the hunting industry the last couple years chasing monster whitetails. None of them believe in carbon clothing and even the ones that have to wear it only due it because of sponserships. Before anyone goes off on “pro hunters”. Let me add some things. First being, there’s no such thing as scent elimination, or scent free. The only way to accomplish this is to zip lock yourself into a plastic bag. There’s always going to be some human ordors. Secondly, because there is no way of being totally scent free, when filming you have to take all this and multiply it by atleast 2. I say atleast 2 because you have a hunter and a cameraman in the tree. Plus you have a camera, which you can’t spray down and extra tapes, batteries. Thirdly, and I’ve learned the importance or lack there of, this year with boot tracks. I don’t care what you put on your feet rubber boots or whatever, you are leaving scent on the ground. Rubber boots maybe the biggest joke in the industry. I don’t know of one person who can walk to there stand in rubber boots and not have their feet and legs sweat(again multiple that scent by 2). My feet sweat just standing in them. When we hang stands we always come in from down wind and in a shooting lane. So if that buck of a lifetime does make his way down wind and we happen to “fool” his nose long enough for him to hit our boot tracks, he’ll stop on the boot tracks and he can still be taken. Getting into and exiting stand locations is crucial for hunting mature bucks.

Now, with all that being said, there is no way these pro hunters are scent free on these hunts we all love to watch. As much as some of them pump their sponsers with soft sales pitches during the hunt its impossible for them to be scent free.

I do believe that a strict scent control regiment does help. Washing your cloths, showering, spraying down, keeping your cloths as scent free as possible when storing them. This stuff all helps. Helps being the key word.

We are all hunting different deer with different levels of hunting pressure. Some get away with one thing when others in the same situation could never pull it off. I think its more often up to the deer and the situation weither they bust you or not.

I do where carbon clothes, and I’ve paid for every article I wear. Do I put my full trust in it to beat a whitetails nose, No. Can I truthfully say weather it works or not, no. But it looks nice and and its very comfortable and quiet stuff.

FYI, if you go to an outdoor store and are torn between what scent “elimination” spray to use. Grab whatever is on sale. Its all the same stuff and it all comes from the same big tanks from the same manufacturer. They just put different lables on it.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve been fortunate enough to run a camera for some pretty big names in the hunting industry the last couple years chasing monster whitetails. None of them believe in carbon clothing and even the ones that have to wear it only due it because of sponserships. Before anyone goes off on “pro hunters”. Let me add some things. First being, there’s no such thing as scent elimination, or scent free. The only way to accomplish this is to zip lock yourself into a plastic bag. There’s always going to be some human ordors. Secondly, because there is no way of being totally scent free, when filming you have to take all this and multiply it by atleast 2. I say atleast 2 because you have a hunter and a cameraman in the tree. Plus you have a camera, which you can’t spray down and extra tapes, batteries. Thirdly, and I’ve learned the importance or lack there of, this year with boot tracks. I don’t care what you put on your feet rubber boots or whatever, you are leaving scent on the ground. Rubber boots maybe the biggest joke in the industry. I don’t know of one person who can walk to there stand in rubber boots and not have their feet and legs sweat(again multiple that scent by 2). My feet sweat just standing in them. When we hang stands we always come in from down wind and in a shooting lane. So if that buck of a lifetime does make his way down wind and we happen to “fool” his nose long enough for him to hit our boot tracks, he’ll stop on the boot tracks and he can still be taken. Getting into and exiting stand locations is crucial for hunting mature bucks.

Now, with all that being said, there is no way these pro hunters are scent free on these hunts we all love to watch. As much as some of them pump their sponsers with soft sales pitches during the hunt its impossible for them to be scent free.

I do believe that a strict scent control regiment does help. Washing your cloths, showering, spraying down, keeping your cloths as scent free as possible when storing them. This stuff all helps. Helps being the key word.

We are all hunting different deer with different levels of hunting pressure. Some get away with one thing when others in the same situation could never pull it off. I think its more often up to the deer and the situation weither they bust you or not.

I do where carbon clothes, and I’ve paid for every article I wear. Do I put my full trust in it to beat a whitetails nose, No. Can I truthfully say weather it works or not, no. But it looks nice and and its very comfortable and quiet stuff.

FYI, if you go to an outdoor store and are torn between what scent “elimination” spray to use. Grab whatever is on sale. Its all the same stuff and it all comes from the same big tanks from the same manufacturer. They just put different lables on it.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Well said Whitetails4ever !!!!!!

I will let your stinky sit with me ANY DAY

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Well said Whitetails4ever !!!!!!

I will let your stinky sit with me ANY DAY

smsmith
    Wisconsin

I believe it works. I’m not talking about the carbon clothes, though they make work too. Last night I shot a mid-120 class buck that came in dead down wind of me. I had bleated about 10 times a few minutes before he came in, he walked right through my scent cone and never flinched.

I always wash my clothes in scent free soap, store them in the huge ziploc bags, put a pine bough or two in with them, and I’m good to go. I also always shower with unscented soap before I go out, and I use scent elimination spray on my t-shirts and hats.

smsmith
    Wisconsin

I believe it works. I’m not talking about the carbon clothes, though they make work too. Last night I shot a mid-120 class buck that came in dead down wind of me. I had bleated about 10 times a few minutes before he came in, he walked right through my scent cone and never flinched.

I always wash my clothes in scent free soap, store them in the huge ziploc bags, put a pine bough or two in with them, and I’m good to go. I also always shower with unscented soap before I go out, and I use scent elimination spray on my t-shirts and hats.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Now with the “other side” of the Story. Here is a partial response I got from Keith Edberg the Operations Manager from Robinson Outdoors (The Parent Company of Scent Blocker) about Mr. Corrigan.

Quote:

We’ve been through this for the last couple years. The guy that
    started the whole thing (Michael Corrigan), turned out to be a shill for an antimicrobial product as the best way to eliminate odor.

Like I said, did any body know this guy? Know his true credientials or his alterior motives????? If you read his articles and do some checking it is pretty obvious where he comes from. I will have more information on this soon. Check back.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Now with the “other side” of the Story. Here is a partial response I got from Keith Edberg the Operations Manager from Robinson Outdoors (The Parent Company of Scent Blocker) about Mr. Corrigan.

Quote:

We’ve been through this for the last couple years. The guy that
    started the whole thing (Michael Corrigan), turned out to be a shill for an antimicrobial product as the best way to eliminate odor.

Like I said, did any body know this guy? Know his true credientials or his alterior motives????? If you read his articles and do some checking it is pretty obvious where he comes from. I will have more information on this soon. Check back.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Again more inforation from “the other side” of the fence. A direct response to the “Corrigan Article”.

Quote:

Some of you may have read an article recently by a bow hunter named Michael Corrigan. While I admit that I don’t recognize him as any bow-hunting author I’ve ever read or heard of, I gave his article some attention because it concerned a product I am familiar with, and use myself quite extensively. While I don’t claim to have the credentials that Mr. Corrigan apparently does, I do have more bow hunting experience than he does, and also spend quite a bit of time with activated carbon myself. I work for Robinson Outdoors, manufacturer of Scentblocker activated carbon clothing. While some of what Mr. Corrigan states in his article is true and factual, there are many times he contradicts himself, and his claim that carbon cannot be reactivated by anything less than 800 degrees Celsius is an out and out falsehood! This has been proven by some of the top scientists in the field of carbon chemistry, a point Corrigan apparently chose to overlook.

I’m not sure what axe he has to grind with the makers of activated carbon clothing, but he did himself and many others an injustice by making such false claims. To top it off, he wants to rely solely and strictly on hard science to make the determination whether these products work, throwing any actual field-testing out the window. Well, I’d like to say that we rely on both. The scientific community agrees that activated carbon is perhaps still the most odor-adsorbing material in existence, and experts in this field have shown that the small amount of human-type odor adsorbed in a day’s hunt is very easily purged to an extent which allows the carbon to continue adsorbing new odor in future hunts – simply by heating in a standard residential dryer!

The requirement of 800 degrees Celsius is generally held for reactivation of carbon used for filtering or treatment of industrial or hazardous waste. The temperature required for a fairly high level of reactivation of carbon involving the organics found in human odor is significantly less – typically those found in your home dryer. Since this is not an exact science, it all varies somewhat with different individuals and the amount and type of odor they produce in a given day, and how they use the product in the field and care for it in between, which is why we also rely heavily on field testing to insure we make products which actually work – in the field as well as the laboratory.

Another claim the author made was that there was no independent study done on these suits. I beg to differ. Bowhunting World Magazine contracted an independent study with the University of Minnesota to test whether or not and how well these types of suits worked, and the results were published in the October 1999 issue of their magazine. Generally, one does not weigh in with such an opinionated perspective without all the facts, as Corrigan seems to have done in this case. And generally I think most people can see through his one-sided rants, but just in case anyone were to consider him an authority, I wanted to provide you folks with the other side of the coin. All I know is that I will continue using these suits, because my success on mature bucks has increased tremendously since I have. Might some of it be due to additional experience, etc? Sure, but I know a large portion of it is due to scent control, because I am hunting spots and situations in which I used to get detected quite regularly, and now I don’t. So, prove to yourself whether it works, or continue to admire the bucks that others who are using scent-control garments are shooting. Thanks for your time, and good hunting.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Again more inforation from “the other side” of the fence. A direct response to the “Corrigan Article”.

Quote:

Some of you may have read an article recently by a bow hunter named Michael Corrigan. While I admit that I don’t recognize him as any bow-hunting author I’ve ever read or heard of, I gave his article some attention because it concerned a product I am familiar with, and use myself quite extensively. While I don’t claim to have the credentials that Mr. Corrigan apparently does, I do have more bow hunting experience than he does, and also spend quite a bit of time with activated carbon myself. I work for Robinson Outdoors, manufacturer of Scentblocker activated carbon clothing. While some of what Mr. Corrigan states in his article is true and factual, there are many times he contradicts himself, and his claim that carbon cannot be reactivated by anything less than 800 degrees Celsius is an out and out falsehood! This has been proven by some of the top scientists in the field of carbon chemistry, a point Corrigan apparently chose to overlook.

I’m not sure what axe he has to grind with the makers of activated carbon clothing, but he did himself and many others an injustice by making such false claims. To top it off, he wants to rely solely and strictly on hard science to make the determination whether these products work, throwing any actual field-testing out the window. Well, I’d like to say that we rely on both. The scientific community agrees that activated carbon is perhaps still the most odor-adsorbing material in existence, and experts in this field have shown that the small amount of human-type odor adsorbed in a day’s hunt is very easily purged to an extent which allows the carbon to continue adsorbing new odor in future hunts – simply by heating in a standard residential dryer!

The requirement of 800 degrees Celsius is generally held for reactivation of carbon used for filtering or treatment of industrial or hazardous waste. The temperature required for a fairly high level of reactivation of carbon involving the organics found in human odor is significantly less – typically those found in your home dryer. Since this is not an exact science, it all varies somewhat with different individuals and the amount and type of odor they produce in a given day, and how they use the product in the field and care for it in between, which is why we also rely heavily on field testing to insure we make products which actually work – in the field as well as the laboratory.

Another claim the author made was that there was no independent study done on these suits. I beg to differ. Bowhunting World Magazine contracted an independent study with the University of Minnesota to test whether or not and how well these types of suits worked, and the results were published in the October 1999 issue of their magazine. Generally, one does not weigh in with such an opinionated perspective without all the facts, as Corrigan seems to have done in this case. And generally I think most people can see through his one-sided rants, but just in case anyone were to consider him an authority, I wanted to provide you folks with the other side of the coin. All I know is that I will continue using these suits, because my success on mature bucks has increased tremendously since I have. Might some of it be due to additional experience, etc? Sure, but I know a large portion of it is due to scent control, because I am hunting spots and situations in which I used to get detected quite regularly, and now I don’t. So, prove to yourself whether it works, or continue to admire the bucks that others who are using scent-control garments are shooting. Thanks for your time, and good hunting.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The difference of reactivation & regeneration of Activated Carbon:

Quote:

The high reactivation temperatures people are reading about refer to complete (totally purged/desorbed) reactivation of carbon filter media that are used for adsorbing industrial/hazardous waste. In some cases with these types of material, chemisorption occurs, which creates a chemical bond between the materials being adsorbed and the substrate. To desorb these types of materials does require very high temperatures, equivalent to those initially required to activate the carbon (in the range of 800 – 1000 degrees C.
    However, human odor consists of a mixture of volatile and high boiling point components – amines, aldehydes, and sulphur compounds. The high boiling point compounds come from bacterial action on fats and are typified by Butyric Acid. They tend to come mainly from the armpits and upper torso, while the volatiles come mostly from the groin area. These materials are physically adsorbed by carbon, not chemically adsorbed. In physical adsorption there is a van der Waals interaction, which have a long range, but are very weak. Physical adsorption is a relatively low energy process, easily reversible, rapid, and non-specific in the molecules it can capture. What this means in layman’s terms is that physically adsorbed molecules (e.g. human odor) can be readily desorbed (removed) with the modest heat levels found in residential tumble dryers.
    Perhaps the biggest misconception is that we often refer to reactivation, when we should be calling it regeneration. Technically, reactivation is the act of restoring adsorptive power to a spent carbon by a process similar to the initial activation process, which does occur at high temperatures. Regeneration is any process that restores adsorptive activity by desorbing the adsorbed substances, which is exactly what we’re doing with our carbon suits in our dryers.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The difference of reactivation & regeneration of Activated Carbon:

Quote:

The high reactivation temperatures people are reading about refer to complete (totally purged/desorbed) reactivation of carbon filter media that are used for adsorbing industrial/hazardous waste. In some cases with these types of material, chemisorption occurs, which creates a chemical bond between the materials being adsorbed and the substrate. To desorb these types of materials does require very high temperatures, equivalent to those initially required to activate the carbon (in the range of 800 – 1000 degrees C.
    However, human odor consists of a mixture of volatile and high boiling point components – amines, aldehydes, and sulphur compounds. The high boiling point compounds come from bacterial action on fats and are typified by Butyric Acid. They tend to come mainly from the armpits and upper torso, while the volatiles come mostly from the groin area. These materials are physically adsorbed by carbon, not chemically adsorbed. In physical adsorption there is a van der Waals interaction, which have a long range, but are very weak. Physical adsorption is a relatively low energy process, easily reversible, rapid, and non-specific in the molecules it can capture. What this means in layman’s terms is that physically adsorbed molecules (e.g. human odor) can be readily desorbed (removed) with the modest heat levels found in residential tumble dryers.
    Perhaps the biggest misconception is that we often refer to reactivation, when we should be calling it regeneration. Technically, reactivation is the act of restoring adsorptive power to a spent carbon by a process similar to the initial activation process, which does occur at high temperatures. Regeneration is any process that restores adsorptive activity by desorbing the adsorbed substances, which is exactly what we’re doing with our carbon suits in our dryers.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

Don’t judge scent elimination with bucks this time of the year as bucks can get very careless during the pre-rut and rut. I too had a nice 8 point buck pass directly down wind of me last weekend at less than 10 yards and then he laid down for a good hour and a half at about 20 yards out and still had to be close to my scent cone. He never batted an eyelash. I also had a doe and her fawn milling around my tree for well over an hour after the buck had left the area and when she got down wind she started stomping the ground with her front foot as she picked up my scent right now. When you can totally fool the nose of a doe then you have total scent elimination.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

Don’t judge scent elimination with bucks this time of the year as bucks can get very careless during the pre-rut and rut. I too had a nice 8 point buck pass directly down wind of me last weekend at less than 10 yards and then he laid down for a good hour and a half at about 20 yards out and still had to be close to my scent cone. He never batted an eyelash. I also had a doe and her fawn milling around my tree for well over an hour after the buck had left the area and when she got down wind she started stomping the ground with her front foot as she picked up my scent right now. When you can totally fool the nose of a doe then you have total scent elimination.

Eyehunter

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

When you can totally fool the nose of a doe then you have total scent elimination.

Right on Eyehunter.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

When you can totally fool the nose of a doe then you have total scent elimination.

Right on Eyehunter.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Last one, some FAQ’s that were forwarded to me from Keith.

FAQ Regarding Scent Elimination Clothing

Q: Aren’t all scent eliminating garments roughly the same, and I can get just about equal performance from any of them?

A: No! Only activated carbon clothing provides true scent “elimination” when it comes to all the odors emitted by the human body.

Q: But what about all these antimicrobial fabrics I’ve been hearing about – they don’t eliminate scent?

A: No, they do absolutely nothing to eliminate scent. They can only help to reduce the formation of certain odors caused by bacterial action. What they are really intended to do is protect the fabric itself from bacterial contamination.

Q: If Antimicrobial fabrics can help reduce odor-causing bacteria, shouldn’t that take care of all my scent?

A: No, for a number of reasons. Not all odors are the result of bacterial action. The body produces many other types of odors that are not the result of bacterial action, such as from diet, smoking, other health reasons, etc. Also, antimicrobials have no effect on existing odors or on odors that have already left the surface of your body. In fact, it is well known that antimicrobials must be in direct contact with your skin in order to have any effect on the bacteria there and prevent them from forming odors. Unless you are wearing skin-tight, form-fitting antimicrobial garments, you will not see a great effect. That is why outer garments containing antimicrobials are a joke – they don’t adsorb, trap, or eliminate any odor, they’re not even preventing bacteria from forming odor on your body.

Q: Will antimicrobial fabrics eliminate odor from my breath?

A: No, your breath odor is a combination of volatile organic compounds derived from your lungs, bacterial action in your mouth, and many other factors. It has been proven that deer and other big game find many of these odors offensive or repelling. Antimicrobial fabrics over your mouth do nothing to eliminate or even reduce these types of odors. Remember, the odor is formed in your lungs and in your mouth. Unless the antimicrobial fabric is in there, it has zero effect. The odor then leaves your body as you breathe. An activated carbon breath shield or facemask will adsorb this odor.

Q: Okay, it sounds like antimicrobials aren’t necessarily the way to go. They may help if I can wear them close enough to my skin, but is there something else I can do, because I like the idea of trying to prevent odors from forming in the first place?

A: Yes, when you shower use an antibacterial soap such as Scent Shield Liquid Body Soap, and then apply an antibacterial lotion like Scent Shield Hair & Body Deodorant directly to your skin and hair for longer protection. This will help prevent bacteria that can cause odor.

Q: Okay, I think I understand antimicrobials better than I did. What about this silver anti-microbial I’ve heard about – how does it work?

A: Again, it is simply an antimicrobial. It happens to be a very good antimicrobial, but it can only help to reduce odor-causing bacteria. And remember, it has to have contact with your skin to affect the bacteria there. It doesn’t prevent the formation of all odors, and it still does nothing to trap, adsorb, or eliminate odors already formed or coming off your body.

Q: How about cyclodextrin that is supposed to adsorb odors. It works, right?

A: Yes and no. While carbon is able to adsorb all of the 150 or so positively identified components of human odor, cyclodextrin does not. It is very limited in the size of odor molecule it can adsorb. In fact, when comparing six odorous compounds commonly associated with humans, carbon adsorbs them all, while cyclodextrin adsorbs very little of any of them.

Q: But I’ve heard that it is supposed to last the life of the garment, and instead of heat, only requires wetting or washing for regeneration. Is that true?

A: No, and maybe, with a disclaimer. Tests have proven that cyclodextrin’s adsorption capabilities on certain odors, while limited to begin with, actually decrease significantly after washing. That means it is not a lasting treatment. As for regeneration by wetting the fabric, that’s not a good thing, because water will displace odors adsorbed by cyclodextrin – meaning rain or even perspiration can cause odors to be released in the field.

Q: It sounds like activated carbon clothing is the way to go. How does it work again?

A: Activated carbon is the strongest adsorbing material known to man, and is far and away the best odor adsorbent commercially available for hunting. It virtually eliminates all odors coming from humans. It works to adsorb odor onto its huge surface area, which is contained within the pore structure of a carbon molecule. Odors are held there by a bond known as van der Waals forces. These forces are then easily broken by the heat provided by a standard residential dryer, thereby desorbing the carbon of the odor it has collected, and creating new surface area for additional odor to attach. You also need to take care of the outer portion of your suit, your boots, and other equipment, but when properly used and cared for, activated carbon clothing can provide you the ability to get closer to big game than ever before without fear of being winded.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Last one, some FAQ’s that were forwarded to me from Keith.

FAQ Regarding Scent Elimination Clothing

Q: Aren’t all scent eliminating garments roughly the same, and I can get just about equal performance from any of them?

A: No! Only activated carbon clothing provides true scent “elimination” when it comes to all the odors emitted by the human body.

Q: But what about all these antimicrobial fabrics I’ve been hearing about – they don’t eliminate scent?

A: No, they do absolutely nothing to eliminate scent. They can only help to reduce the formation of certain odors caused by bacterial action. What they are really intended to do is protect the fabric itself from bacterial contamination.

Q: If Antimicrobial fabrics can help reduce odor-causing bacteria, shouldn’t that take care of all my scent?

A: No, for a number of reasons. Not all odors are the result of bacterial action. The body produces many other types of odors that are not the result of bacterial action, such as from diet, smoking, other health reasons, etc. Also, antimicrobials have no effect on existing odors or on odors that have already left the surface of your body. In fact, it is well known that antimicrobials must be in direct contact with your skin in order to have any effect on the bacteria there and prevent them from forming odors. Unless you are wearing skin-tight, form-fitting antimicrobial garments, you will not see a great effect. That is why outer garments containing antimicrobials are a joke – they don’t adsorb, trap, or eliminate any odor, they’re not even preventing bacteria from forming odor on your body.

Q: Will antimicrobial fabrics eliminate odor from my breath?

A: No, your breath odor is a combination of volatile organic compounds derived from your lungs, bacterial action in your mouth, and many other factors. It has been proven that deer and other big game find many of these odors offensive or repelling. Antimicrobial fabrics over your mouth do nothing to eliminate or even reduce these types of odors. Remember, the odor is formed in your lungs and in your mouth. Unless the antimicrobial fabric is in there, it has zero effect. The odor then leaves your body as you breathe. An activated carbon breath shield or facemask will adsorb this odor.

Q: Okay, it sounds like antimicrobials aren’t necessarily the way to go. They may help if I can wear them close enough to my skin, but is there something else I can do, because I like the idea of trying to prevent odors from forming in the first place?

A: Yes, when you shower use an antibacterial soap such as Scent Shield Liquid Body Soap, and then apply an antibacterial lotion like Scent Shield Hair & Body Deodorant directly to your skin and hair for longer protection. This will help prevent bacteria that can cause odor.

Q: Okay, I think I understand antimicrobials better than I did. What about this silver anti-microbial I’ve heard about – how does it work?

A: Again, it is simply an antimicrobial. It happens to be a very good antimicrobial, but it can only help to reduce odor-causing bacteria. And remember, it has to have contact with your skin to affect the bacteria there. It doesn’t prevent the formation of all odors, and it still does nothing to trap, adsorb, or eliminate odors already formed or coming off your body.

Q: How about cyclodextrin that is supposed to adsorb odors. It works, right?

A: Yes and no. While carbon is able to adsorb all of the 150 or so positively identified components of human odor, cyclodextrin does not. It is very limited in the size of odor molecule it can adsorb. In fact, when comparing six odorous compounds commonly associated with humans, carbon adsorbs them all, while cyclodextrin adsorbs very little of any of them.

Q: But I’ve heard that it is supposed to last the life of the garment, and instead of heat, only requires wetting or washing for regeneration. Is that true?

A: No, and maybe, with a disclaimer. Tests have proven that cyclodextrin’s adsorption capabilities on certain odors, while limited to begin with, actually decrease significantly after washing. That means it is not a lasting treatment. As for regeneration by wetting the fabric, that’s not a good thing, because water will displace odors adsorbed by cyclodextrin – meaning rain or even perspiration can cause odors to be released in the field.

Q: It sounds like activated carbon clothing is the way to go. How does it work again?

A: Activated carbon is the strongest adsorbing material known to man, and is far and away the best odor adsorbent commercially available for hunting. It virtually eliminates all odors coming from humans. It works to adsorb odor onto its huge surface area, which is contained within the pore structure of a carbon molecule. Odors are held there by a bond known as van der Waals forces. These forces are then easily broken by the heat provided by a standard residential dryer, thereby desorbing the carbon of the odor it has collected, and creating new surface area for additional odor to attach. You also need to take care of the outer portion of your suit, your boots, and other equipment, but when properly used and cared for, activated carbon clothing can provide you the ability to get closer to big game than ever before without fear of being winded.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

If you guys can dig up the link on TR Michaels opinions on carbon clothing at archerytalk.com- it would be worth your time..

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

If you guys can dig up the link on TR Michaels opinions on carbon clothing at archerytalk.com- it would be worth your time..

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

They seem to be connected…corrigan and michaels…
    Wonder what is going on…

I know Michaels used to endorse one of the carbon clothing lines..

Hmmmm..

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

They seem to be connected…corrigan and michaels…
    Wonder what is going on…

I know Michaels used to endorse one of the carbon clothing lines..

Hmmmm..

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Luke, archerytalk.com is a mega site for all kinds and alot of bowhunters info, good site!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Luke, archerytalk.com is a mega site for all kinds and alot of bowhunters info, good site!

mike carey

After reading these articals about activated carbon clothing I got ahold of a gal at a leading manufacturer of scent control clothes she informed me that both these people that wrote these articals were given an opertunity to come to there lab and see how these things really work and how the whole process works, and they both declined. If they were willing to Bring both these individuals there and show them this step by step, there must be truth behind The scent control deal, would’nt you think? I have used Scent contol clothes for the last 4 years and have taken more deer in the that time than I did the 10 years before without them. Just my opinion!

mike carey

After reading these articals about activated carbon clothing I got ahold of a gal at a leading manufacturer of scent control clothes she informed me that both these people that wrote these articals were given an opertunity to come to there lab and see how these things really work and how the whole process works, and they both declined. If they were willing to Bring both these individuals there and show them this step by step, there must be truth behind The scent control deal, would’nt you think? I have used Scent contol clothes for the last 4 years and have taken more deer in the that time than I did the 10 years before without them. Just my opinion!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Well Lip I don’t want this to be a pissing match, so this will be my last post on this subject. I too keep my clothes in a scent free container, spray down everytime, only wear my clothes when I am in the woods and wash my under clothes in scent free detergent. I bought this stuff to be able to do as they say and “Forget the wind just hunt” So do you take this approach or do you not have enough confidence in your equipment? I still wear my scent blocker everyday to this day for the help that it may give me and I just can’t see paying $300 on something and not using it. But passing the blame to the hunter when it fails!!! OH he must not have done this or done that. Oh and you talk about this guys “alterior motives” and the only evidence you have backing your side is from …..oh that’s right the guy who wants you to buy his clothes (can you say alterior motive?). And the greastest thing he says is science isn’t enough we need field tests too???? I’m not saying I know mine doesn’t work because it probably does help a little bit, but you can’t discredit someone without scientific proof that the carbon IS capable of doing what they say it will. Thanks for the read Jarrad both of them. It was almost like Mr. Corrigan read our forum. Sorry if I made you mad Lip, just voicing my opinion.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.