Does Scent elimination really work?

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

skhartke,

Quote:

Is it possible that without this carbon filled outerwear you could still beat the deer’s nose by just following your scent free program?

Yes, I think it is possible, but you will not be able to do it day in day out, like I’m able to accomplish now. Remember I used to do all the other steps besides Carbon Clothes for about 5 years. Yes, I would beat a nose here and there or they would not wind me as quick. But like I said, when my confidence is high in my protection. I have no doubt I’m going to get by a deer’s nose down wind of me.

Quote:

I think it’s possible to still have a successful hunt without spending the extra dough on the scent free clothing.

Very true. No doubt you can have a successful hunt with out buying the Carbon Clothing. I cherish every moment I have in the woods pursuing monster bucks and mature does. Therefore, my game plan is to increase the odds an do everything in my power to do so. So this whole strict scent control regimen is part of my package and increases my odds of harvesting a mature deer. Let’s remember I’m not only in for it for that sit, but others also. Staying undetected and leaving no or minimal trace of your presence while you are in stand and long after you leave. Keeping that mature buck or bucks in your area is key to being able to harvest big whitetails consistently. That is my goal, what I’m after and the reason I go through what I do. I know everyone else may not be that involved, or have different objectives, but that is what I seek. Remeber these deer do not always come in where we plan on them comng in. We can hunt the wind all the time, but it does not mean a deer will alaways be on that trail. I can’t tell you how many time sa buck even a doe has just rummaged through the woods on me. Also BUcks Ususaly use the down wind sides of trails to pick up any scent that wa son the trail.

Quote:

Have you always worn the scent free clothing when you take a deer?

My clothing has always been scent free, along with my equipment, but I have not always worn Scent Blocking or Carbon Lined Clothing. I know my last post was long, but I did talk about it in there, perhaps it was clear to me but not the viewing public. But to sum it up. I have logged many hours in the tree stand in both scenarios you talk about and I jus bought another Scent Blocker suit this Fall and also bought Stacie one. So in my world, Yes, carbon lined clothes dowork with out a doubt, if you follow certain steps.

here is form my post above on this subject.

Quote:

Back a few years ago before I wore Carbon Clothes, I used to wash my clothes, hang them out to dry, etc, do all the things I do now and be almost as meticulous as I am now. I would not beat that many noses, but might get away for a longer period of time before they would bust me. Now, I follow a strict regimen of scent control process that is not just my carbon clothing, but that is a big part of it that allows me to go undetected and day in day out beat the noses form those wear ol’ does to those mature bruisers. This strict regimen is a real pain in the , a bit overwhelming and demanding but WELL WORTH IT TO ME.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve been trying to post something on this today, without slamming someone or having someone take offense to what I had to say. I guess I’m right there with Rob on this so he saved me a lot of typing.

I first want to mention one thing and we’ll let it go at that. I (we) as staff haven’t gotten anything free or given to us to endorse the products here. The products I stand behind and mention here are ones that work for me and I believe in. So moving on.

I used to be a hunter that used to just throw on the old woodland camo and hit the stand. It didn’t matter if I just came from school, work or home. Did I get deer? YEP and some I was very proud of. A few years back I went to Scent-Loc. I have a a hood, face mask, coat, pants and wear rubber boots, I have gloves and use Wildlife Research scent killer on all of my gear. I also spray it on my boots. I am very religious about my scent control. I’ve tried the same thing with my light camo that isn’t carbon clothing. I have only been picked of a couple of times with deer down wind of me wearing my carbon garmets. Same regiment of getting ready with the lighter non carbon clothing and I’ve gotten picked off. So does the carbon clothing work??? I’m confident in using it and will continue to use it… Say what you want and do what you wish. I’m not pushing any company, it works for me and I will use it. PERIOD!

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’ve been trying to post something on this today, without slamming someone or having someone take offense to what I had to say. I guess I’m right there with Rob on this so he saved me a lot of typing.

I first want to mention one thing and we’ll let it go at that. I (we) as staff haven’t gotten anything free or given to us to endorse the products here. The products I stand behind and mention here are ones that work for me and I believe in. So moving on.

I used to be a hunter that used to just throw on the old woodland camo and hit the stand. It didn’t matter if I just came from school, work or home. Did I get deer? YEP and some I was very proud of. A few years back I went to Scent-Loc. I have a a hood, face mask, coat, pants and wear rubber boots, I have gloves and use Wildlife Research scent killer on all of my gear. I also spray it on my boots. I am very religious about my scent control. I’ve tried the same thing with my light camo that isn’t carbon clothing. I have only been picked of a couple of times with deer down wind of me wearing my carbon garmets. Same regiment of getting ready with the lighter non carbon clothing and I’ve gotten picked off. So does the carbon clothing work??? I’m confident in using it and will continue to use it… Say what you want and do what you wish. I’m not pushing any company, it works for me and I will use it. PERIOD!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Now to tackle G’s comment.

Quote:

deer are color blind, and the different shapes , mossy oak to regular military style do not matter. It makes it more fun, to spend the extra money…

Deer are indeed color blind, but they do see certain colors as one shade comapred to another shade. They see in a few basic shades of blacks & greys, & whites. However G, they do see shapes, shades and patterns very well. Therefore the technology of todays High Defintition camo patterns are crucial. Again can you use the old stuff?? No doubt you can, but I’m into increasing my odds and the new camo does this. If I were strictly a gun hunter, probably not a big deal to me, but being a crazed bowhunter is a different story. I’m often within spitting distance to these deer. So they are able to pick us out a ltitle easier @ 3-30 yards then a gun hunter @ 200.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Now to tackle G’s comment.

Quote:

deer are color blind, and the different shapes , mossy oak to regular military style do not matter. It makes it more fun, to spend the extra money…

Deer are indeed color blind, but they do see certain colors as one shade comapred to another shade. They see in a few basic shades of blacks & greys, & whites. However G, they do see shapes, shades and patterns very well. Therefore the technology of todays High Defintition camo patterns are crucial. Again can you use the old stuff?? No doubt you can, but I’m into increasing my odds and the new camo does this. If I were strictly a gun hunter, probably not a big deal to me, but being a crazed bowhunter is a different story. I’m often within spitting distance to these deer. So they are able to pick us out a ltitle easier @ 3-30 yards then a gun hunter @ 200.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Rob, I know. It was my feable attempt, at throwing a story out, like this other guy did on scent clothing

My comments were meant to be chicken little, the sky is falling, cause this one guy says so….

I too have all the mossy oak camos, the Jordan realtree, treebark, early season green, fall brown and it sounds like a predator gray suit coming next year for the sd hunt. I also belive, as I posted a week or two ago, that carbon does work. Does it block all scent, NO, but does it help, even if its 10%, then I want it in my arsenal when trying to trick the bigboy. After all, they don’t get big, by hanging around hunters…

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Rob, I know. It was my feable attempt, at throwing a story out, like this other guy did on scent clothing

My comments were meant to be chicken little, the sky is falling, cause this one guy says so….

I too have all the mossy oak camos, the Jordan realtree, treebark, early season green, fall brown and it sounds like a predator gray suit coming next year for the sd hunt. I also belive, as I posted a week or two ago, that carbon does work. Does it block all scent, NO, but does it help, even if its 10%, then I want it in my arsenal when trying to trick the bigboy. After all, they don’t get big, by hanging around hunters…

big g

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks G, I took the bait.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks G, I took the bait.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was patiently waiting for your response on this…. after seeing how long it was, I knew what took so long I think you pretty much covered it, and like someone else said, I wanted to put my thoughts down on this but didn’t know where to start or end….

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was patiently waiting for your response on this…. after seeing how long it was, I knew what took so long I think you pretty much covered it, and like someone else said, I wanted to put my thoughts down on this but didn’t know where to start or end….

big g

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

BIRDDOG please do not take this the wrong way but I need to correct you on one thing, IDA Staffers do not get handed free equipment, do we get a discount on some products? The answer is yes but IDA is very particular on who we take on for a site sponsor and Staffers that endorse a product here use it and believe in it after all it is our reputations on the line.

Quote:

The same thing goes on here with a bunch of guys that brag up certain products, not necessarily because they work, but because they WERE handed free equipment, all part of the “game”!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

BIRDDOG please do not take this the wrong way but I need to correct you on one thing, IDA Staffers do not get handed free equipment, do we get a discount on some products? The answer is yes but IDA is very particular on who we take on for a site sponsor and Staffers that endorse a product here use it and believe in it after all it is our reputations on the line.

Quote:

The same thing goes on here with a bunch of guys that brag up certain products, not necessarily because they work, but because they WERE handed free equipment, all part of the “game”!!

timmy

I am also a big believer in getting up high – and believe that this also lets me beat a deers nose more often. I firmly believe that 20’+ up a tree is the way to go if at all possible or practical. All of the swirling in the wind really dissipates the scent, I believe, giving the illusion the the scent producer is actually further away than he really is.

Any opinions on this?

Tim

timmy

I am also a big believer in getting up high – and believe that this also lets me beat a deers nose more often. I firmly believe that 20’+ up a tree is the way to go if at all possible or practical. All of the swirling in the wind really dissipates the scent, I believe, giving the illusion the the scent producer is actually further away than he really is.

Any opinions on this?

Tim

eyebuster
    Duluth

I go as high as I can get without skyling myself!

I want other trees behind me so that my movement is not so defind!

eyebuster
    Duluth

I go as high as I can get without skyling myself!

I want other trees behind me so that my movement is not so defind!

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

Any opinions on this?

Tim

Yep Tim I agree wtih you too! I take my climber up most of the time to 20’….Also where I hunt is very flat woods and fields in northern WI. I don’t have too many problems with the swirling wind…

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

Any opinions on this?

Tim

Yep Tim I agree wtih you too! I take my climber up most of the time to 20’….Also where I hunt is very flat woods and fields in northern WI. I don’t have too many problems with the swirling wind…

timmy

I have had at least a half dozen deer approach me this year from dead downwind and never show any signs if scenting me. These occurred when I was 21-24 feet up. I think it makes a big difference! Also – I feel I can draw on them and get away with more motion when that high.

Tim

timmy

I have had at least a half dozen deer approach me this year from dead downwind and never show any signs if scenting me. These occurred when I was 21-24 feet up. I think it makes a big difference! Also – I feel I can draw on them and get away with more motion when that high.

Tim

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have believed that scent lok was a gimmick from day one, I do everything that lip does, only not the clothes. I have many friends in the military- the carbon suits that they use, are a one time use, and then they get thrown away. It is a proven fact, in order to re-charge carbon, it has to be heated to such a high temperature, that everything else would get incinerated.

And, I am not jumping on a band wagon- I have believed this for about four years.

I am using products by DDW,I shower with it, and wash my towels and washclothes in it. Then, I spray myself and all my clothes,boots down. I brush my teeth with baking soda as well, and scrape my tounge, alot of odor comes from the mouth, but 90% percent of that odor comes from the tounge- so I also kill all the bacteria on my tounge with hydrogen peroxide and then scrape it again. I have been using this routine for a long time- and I shoot deer, on the ground and downwind of me. If you can fool a deers nose, you can fool any other sense they have. I also wear clip on cotton pads with fresh doe pee, on my clothing. I also think a big key in wearing doe pee, is to make sure it is from your area. The deer in Iowa, eat different things that the deer in kansas do. It is amazing if you go do a scent test, and look at code blue, mrs. doe pee, and any other brand, the difference will blow your mind. The only stuff that comes close to the pee I smell in the woods is the mrs. doe pee.

Just the ramblings from an addicted Iowa bowhunter…

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have believed that scent lok was a gimmick from day one, I do everything that lip does, only not the clothes. I have many friends in the military- the carbon suits that they use, are a one time use, and then they get thrown away. It is a proven fact, in order to re-charge carbon, it has to be heated to such a high temperature, that everything else would get incinerated.

And, I am not jumping on a band wagon- I have believed this for about four years.

I am using products by DDW,I shower with it, and wash my towels and washclothes in it. Then, I spray myself and all my clothes,boots down. I brush my teeth with baking soda as well, and scrape my tounge, alot of odor comes from the mouth, but 90% percent of that odor comes from the tounge- so I also kill all the bacteria on my tounge with hydrogen peroxide and then scrape it again. I have been using this routine for a long time- and I shoot deer, on the ground and downwind of me. If you can fool a deers nose, you can fool any other sense they have. I also wear clip on cotton pads with fresh doe pee, on my clothing. I also think a big key in wearing doe pee, is to make sure it is from your area. The deer in Iowa, eat different things that the deer in kansas do. It is amazing if you go do a scent test, and look at code blue, mrs. doe pee, and any other brand, the difference will blow your mind. The only stuff that comes close to the pee I smell in the woods is the mrs. doe pee.

Just the ramblings from an addicted Iowa bowhunter…

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Lip I own scent blocker and have a very strict procedure I follow on keeping scent free also and I think I actually have had more deer bust me WITH my scent blocker on than they did before I owned it. The problem I have with it is you must throw it in the dryer. Ok so “if” this reactivates the carbon and keeps your scent from getting out what about all the scent you just put on the outside of it? It usually takes 3-5 days of hunting of spraying down everytime to get rid of the fabric softener smell. You are supposed to reactivate them like every 30-40 hours of wearing them if I remember right. That doesn’t leave me much time of “scent free” before I have to do it again. I had 15 deer and one of the biggest buck I’ve ever encountered(when I didn’t use Scent Blocker) come out from my right and cross directly downwind of me and not a one of them winded me and this was the norm for me…I very rarely had deer bust me. I don’t know neither of us has any scientific proof to back our theory, so all we can give is our opinion and not say one side is wrong. I actually believe the article….he’s even given your the means to research his findings.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Lip I own scent blocker and have a very strict procedure I follow on keeping scent free also and I think I actually have had more deer bust me WITH my scent blocker on than they did before I owned it. The problem I have with it is you must throw it in the dryer. Ok so “if” this reactivates the carbon and keeps your scent from getting out what about all the scent you just put on the outside of it? It usually takes 3-5 days of hunting of spraying down everytime to get rid of the fabric softener smell. You are supposed to reactivate them like every 30-40 hours of wearing them if I remember right. That doesn’t leave me much time of “scent free” before I have to do it again. I had 15 deer and one of the biggest buck I’ve ever encountered(when I didn’t use Scent Blocker) come out from my right and cross directly downwind of me and not a one of them winded me and this was the norm for me…I very rarely had deer bust me. I don’t know neither of us has any scientific proof to back our theory, so all we can give is our opinion and not say one side is wrong. I actually believe the article….he’s even given your the means to research his findings.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Well Muskyman, I first descent my dryer by using the non smelling scent killer sprays, I run the dryer through 2 times like this before I put any hunting clothes in it. I do the same thing with the washer with my unscented hunting soap and spray that down also. What are you spraying yourself down with??? Where do you store your clothes? Where are you getting dressed? Are you using a headcover or hat? There are so many variables to this, I can be fairly certain that no one quite does it the same. As I have shown very easily with the washer and dryer. When I get ready to go in the field I strip all the way down to my boxer briefs that are also washed like everything else (scnet free). I have different socks, etc. that I put on once I’m in the field and away from the truck. Let me tell you mornings like tomorrow are quite cold standing out there in the .

Again, I ask you who is this guy that wrote the article?? Who is he affiliated with???

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Well Muskyman, I first descent my dryer by using the non smelling scent killer sprays, I run the dryer through 2 times like this before I put any hunting clothes in it. I do the same thing with the washer with my unscented hunting soap and spray that down also. What are you spraying yourself down with??? Where do you store your clothes? Where are you getting dressed? Are you using a headcover or hat? There are so many variables to this, I can be fairly certain that no one quite does it the same. As I have shown very easily with the washer and dryer. When I get ready to go in the field I strip all the way down to my boxer briefs that are also washed like everything else (scnet free). I have different socks, etc. that I put on once I’m in the field and away from the truck. Let me tell you mornings like tomorrow are quite cold standing out there in the .

Again, I ask you who is this guy that wrote the article?? Who is he affiliated with???

big_g
    Isle, MN

I did a search on him, and only found his articles on a website called Fastest Bows. I am guessing, he was dis’d by either ScentLok or Scent Blocker…. his other articles are about bamboozling other products, like the recipe to the sprays. I think he is very smart, in that he knows what to write, to cause controversy. I see no credentials of any kind listed, other than what he says he knows.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I did a search on him, and only found his articles on a website called Fastest Bows. I am guessing, he was dis’d by either ScentLok or Scent Blocker…. his other articles are about bamboozling other products, like the recipe to the sprays. I think he is very smart, in that he knows what to write, to cause controversy. I see no credentials of any kind listed, other than what he says he knows.

big g

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.