2006 Whitetail and Mule Deer Contest Entries/Rules

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD FOR ENTRIES ONLY!!!

There will be a few changes this year the first one is that I will only be able to accept digital pics this year as my scanner died on me.

Second is that IDA will only accept pics taken in the field before the deer is field dressed, if that is not possible see the photo tips in this post.

Third is we are doing away with the pics of the deer tags this year as this contest is an on your honor system.

Submit your entries here with you team # and a photo of you and your deer. I will keep score on a separate thread that will be locked.

If possible have the date in the photo as well, most digital cameras should be capable of doing this. If you have any questions please post them HERE.

1) One buck and two does or three does may be entered into this contest by each team member.

2) All entries must be submitted with a photograph of the deer

3)All weapons may be used during their set season depending upon states hunted.

4) Your FIRST buck harvested by YOURSELF is the only buck allowed to be entered into the contest. Each team member may only submit one buck.

5) Adult does may only be entered into the contest, except for youth AGE 15 AND UNDER.

6) Points will be awarded as follows:

-Each doe up to three entered by each team member are 5 points each.

-Bucks are an automatic 10 points plus 1 additional point for each tine 1 inch or larger

7) This contest is for white-tail and Mule deer.

A GUIDE TO QUALITY HUNTING PHOTOS

The excitement of finally tagging a trophy big game animal takes longer to wear off than a roll of film will last in the camera. There are seven very simple steps you need to follow while you are still excited that will insure quality photos.

1. TAKE THE PHOTOS OUTDOORS

If the buck was brought home before you found someone with a camera, take the deer outside for the photos. Nothing looks worse than a buck on the garage floor with cans, pails, lawn mowers and tires in the background.

2. TAKE THE DEER OFF THE CAR, OUT OF THE TRUNK OR OUT OF THE PICKUP TRUCK.

Unless you are showing off a deer you hit with your truck do not include a vehicle in the photo.

3. TAKE THE ANIMAL DOWN FROM THE TREE AND REMOVE THE ROPE.

Numerous deer and bear photos are rejected from being used in the record book because the photos show the animal suspended above the ground.

4. SELECT A NEUTRAL BACKGROUND

In the excitement of taking trophy photos no one ever look beyond the animal or hunter. Houses, barns, tractors and powers lines all ruin the quality of the photo. Use an evergreen tree, a screen of brush or hills and woods for the background. Find a color that will highlight the antlers – not hide them. Don’t let them blend into the background.

5. GET CLOSE – NOW GET CLOSER!

All you need in the photo is the animal and the hunter. Make sure the subject fills the frame. Fill the viewfinder with the subject. Most photos used in the record book have at least 50% of the photo cropped off to remove empty background.

6. TURN THE CAMERA SO THE PHOTO IS VERTICAL

The hunter and the trophy will fill the frame and eliminate most of the empty background. It is also the format used for magazine covers and most framed pictures.

7. USE A FLASH IF THE SUN IS GONE

Dramatic results often occur when subjects are highlighted and the background is totally black. All that you see is the desired subject. Be sure to stay far enough away from reflective objects so ghosts don’t start to appear in the background.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

If possible we would prefer pics taken before the deer is field dressed but I understand that not everyone will be able to get a pic in the field if that is the case the simply follow the advice from photo tip #1

1.TAKE THE PHOTOS OUTDOORS

If the buck was brought home before you found someone with a camera, take the deer outside for the photos. Nothing looks worse than a buck on the garage floor with cans, pails, lawn mowers and tires in the background.

Also follow the following photo tips…..

SELECT A NEUTRAL BACKGROUND

In the excitement of taking trophy photos no one ever look beyond the animal or hunter. Houses, barns, tractors and powers lines all ruin the quality of the photo. Use an evergreen tree, a screen of brush or hills and woods for the background. Find a color that will highlight the antlers – not hide them. Don’t let them blend into the background.

CLEAN UP VISIBLE BLOOD AND MAKE SURE DEER’S TONGUE DOESN’T SHOW.

ALWAYS USE A FLASH TO TAKE OUT SHADOWS

TAKE PHOTO CLOSE UP

HAVE WEAPON IN PHOTO (IN A SAFE MANOR)

WEAR HUNTING CLOTHES

These are the kind of pics that IDA will not post.

TAKE THE DEER OFF THE CAR, OUT OF THE TRUNK OR OUT OF THE PICKUP TRUCK.

TAKE THE ANIMAL DOWN FROM THE TREE AND REMOVE THE ROPE

DO NOT SIT ON DEER FOR PHOTOS

NO SUNGLASSES, BEER CANS OR CIGARETTES.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

If possible we would prefer pics taken before the deer is field dressed but I understand that not everyone will be able to get a pic in the field if that is the case the simply follow the advice from photo tip #1

1.TAKE THE PHOTOS OUTDOORS

Also follow the following photo tips…..

SELECT A NEUTRAL BACKGROUND

CLEAN UP VISIBLE BLOOD AND MAKE SURE DEER’S TONGUE DOESN’T SHOW.

ALWAYS USE A FLASH TO TAKE OUT SHADOWS

TAKE PHOTO CLOSE UP

HAVE WEAPON IN PHOTO (IN A SAFE MANOR)

WEAR HUNTING CLOTHES

These are the kind of pics that IDA will not post.

TAKE THE DEER OFF THE CAR, OUT OF THE TRUNK OR OUT OF THE PICKUP TRUCK.

TAKE THE ANIMAL DOWN FROM THE TREE AND REMOVE THE ROPE

DO NOT SIT ON DEER FOR PHOTOS

NO SUNGLASSES, BEER CANS OR CIGARETTES.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

First Buck down for the contest by Kathio Guy from team 12 and what a buck it is

Congrats on a buck of a life time Kathio Guy

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

First Buck down for the contest by Kathio Guy from team 12 and what a buck it is

Congrats on a buck of a life time Kathio Guy

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Another one for Team 12 way to go Scott and Son

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Another one for Team 12 way to go Scott and Son

big water
    Andover ,MN

team 13 scores

big water
    Andover ,MN

team 13 scores

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Team 2 is on the board!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Team 2 is on the board!

big water
    Andover ,MN

I almost foregot to get a pic of this one. so tack on another 5 points for team 13 area 225 early doe

gutpile

Just a friendly reminder here guys that IDA would prefer to see pics of the deer before you hang them on the rope and skin them. Our guide lines here are if at all possible to take the pic in the field, if that is not possible then take a pic in the back yard with some bushes or trees in the back ground. (see photo tips) If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Steve Plantz

big water
    Andover ,MN

I almost foregot to get a pic of this one. so tack on another 5 points for team 13 area 225 early doe

gutpile

Just a friendly reminder here guys that IDA would prefer to see pics of the deer before you hang them on the rope and skin them. Our guide lines here are if at all possible to take the pic in the field, if that is not possible then take a pic in the back yard with some bushes or trees in the back ground. (see photo tips) If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Steve Plantz

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Posting this pic for Lntony2 making a score for Team 8

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Posting this pic for Lntony2 making a score for Team 8

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here is my Doe, shot at Ripley 10/19/06

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here is my Doe, shot at Ripley 10/19/06

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Since my dad’s illness and death, needless to say spending time in the woods wasn’t the biggest priority! I was able to get out this evening and at 6:15, was able to call this guy in. Now he’s not a monster 8 pointer by any means, but this is our last season hunting our least land (the owner plans to hunt it now) so we decided if we got an opportunity to take a buck we would.

So 5 minutes after a series of grunts, I hear this guy come running. He comes to within 40 yards but decides after not seeing the other buck he would walk down wind of me and straight away. So I try grunting again…he stops for a second, then continues. Then I grabbed “The Can” and he stopped again, looked back at me and slowly walked off. So I thought what the heck, I grabbed the horns and lightly tickled them together…he then takes off like a shot and I figure the game is over… but instead of bolting away, he was on a dead run back to me! With the video camera still rolling, I was able to get a 25 yards shot and she was true…right through the heart. He goes 30 yards tips over…no tracking needed.

So even though he wasn’t the biggest buck in the world, he is one of the deer I’m most proud of because of the shot! The heart still gets to pounding when any buck reacts like he did. I was able to call him in and placed a nice shot on him…a great way to finish a great day in the woods. (And to get points for Team 4)

Mike

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Since my dad’s illness and death, needless to say spending time in the woods wasn’t the biggest priority! I was able to get out this evening and at 6:15, was able to call this guy in. Now he’s not a monster 8 pointer by any means, but this is our last season hunting our least land (the owner plans to hunt it now) so we decided if we got an opportunity to take a buck we would.

So 5 minutes after a series of grunts, I hear this guy come running. He comes to within 40 yards but decides after not seeing the other buck he would walk down wind of me and straight away. So I try grunting again…he stops for a second, then continues. Then I grabbed “The Can” and he stopped again, looked back at me and slowly walked off. So I thought what the heck, I grabbed the horns and lightly tickled them together…he then takes off like a shot and I figure the game is over… but instead of bolting away, he was on a dead run back to me! With the video camera still rolling, I was able to get a 25 yards shot and she was true…right through the heart. He goes 30 yards tips over…no tracking needed.

So even though he wasn’t the biggest buck in the world, he is one of the deer I’m most proud of because of the shot! The heart still gets to pounding when any buck reacts like he did. I was able to call him in and placed a nice shot on him…a great way to finish a great day in the woods. (And to get points for Team 4)

Mike

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Another 5 points for Team 2, thanks to Earn A Buck in Buffalo County WI.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Another 5 points for Team 2, thanks to Earn A Buck in Buffalo County WI.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Steve, heres my buck for the contest…shot last nite: an 8-point

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Steve, heres my buck for the contest…shot last nite: an 8-point

krisko
    Durand, WI

Add one more to Team 13, taken October 17, 2006 at 5:40 PM…sorry for the late pic, I had it on a regular film camera.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Add one more to Team 13, taken October 17, 2006 at 5:40 PM…sorry for the late pic, I had it on a regular film camera.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

GMAN’s 3×3 Wyoming muley

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

GMAN’s 3×3 Wyoming muley

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Team 7 on the blored 3 minutes into the morning downed this nice doe!!!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Team 7 on the blored 3 minutes into the morning downed this nice doe!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Big g , second Doe taken 11/5/06, behind Hooks place. Do I look happy or what ?!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.