Deer skinning tip

• jesse
    mn

Found a great extremely fast and easy way to skin the deer (if you process your own). Hang the deer to a sturdy beam in the garage or wherever. Skin the neck down a few inches, and place a golf ball on the inside of the hide. Cut the legs off at the knees. Take a heavy rope and tie around the hide and golf ball from the outside. Attach the ATV winch and pull the hide right off. Works excellent, very fast and clean way to remove the hide. Good Luck.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Titleist or Dunlop??

Sorry, couldn’t resist…that’s a great tip if it works….

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Titleist or Dunlop??

Sorry, couldn’t resist…that’s a great tip if it works….

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

It works, I’ve seen that tip in a few magazines and online articles.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

It works, I’ve seen that tip in a few magazines and online articles.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve skinned many deer this way. It works well if you are hunting with a group and have several deer to skin. However if you are just doing one deer it can take as long to set up as it would just to skin the thing. Remember that if you are attempting the golf ball thing to hang your deer with the head up instead of down which is backwards of the normal way you would hang a deer. Also make certain that your deer is tied up to someting sturdy as once you start pulling with the ATV or tractor (we used a tractor) there is a great deal of pressure on both the structure and the ropes.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve skinned many deer this way. It works well if you are hunting with a group and have several deer to skin. However if you are just doing one deer it can take as long to set up as it would just to skin the thing. Remember that if you are attempting the golf ball thing to hang your deer with the head up instead of down which is backwards of the normal way you would hang a deer. Also make certain that your deer is tied up to someting sturdy as once you start pulling with the ATV or tractor (we used a tractor) there is a great deal of pressure on both the structure and the ropes.

Eyehunter

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

we also use this same technigue, but instead of golf ball, we usually use a baseball and a chain to the truck. Works great everytime. Special thanks to the large elm tree in the front yard.

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

we also use this same technigue, but instead of golf ball, we usually use a baseball and a chain to the truck. Works great everytime. Special thanks to the large elm tree in the front yard.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I have also heard this method works really well i am going to try it this fall….hopefully.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I have also heard this method works really well i am going to try it this fall….hopefully.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We do this method as well…but we skin it with the legs tied to the rafters. This works if you want to cape out a buck! But for slick heads, I may have to try the other way! I think either way would work well! If you haven’t tried it, you should!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

We do this method as well…but we skin it with the legs tied to the rafters. This works if you want to cape out a buck! But for slick heads, I may have to try the other way! I think either way would work well! If you haven’t tried it, you should!

jesse
    mn

I have done this method several times, works slick. I dont think it matters which end you pull from, I have always hung from the neck and pulled down to the tail. Guess I need to get a big enough one to have to do it in reverse, I can only hope!!

jesse
    mn

I have done this method several times, works slick. I dont think it matters which end you pull from, I have always hung from the neck and pulled down to the tail. Guess I need to get a big enough one to have to do it in reverse, I can only hope!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.