mechanical broadheads vs traditional

• eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Like everyone is saying, a properly placed arrow with either broadhead does the job. But with a less than perfect shot, I would want my fixed blades to be doing the work.
    I know first hand of many friends that switched to the mechanicals only to have an arrow go in a few inches and fall out. I have heard the story many times. IMO if those big wide blades hit some bone it cocks the arrow or stops it all together.
    Just my .02
    I will not ever shoot them. With each broadhead there is pros and cons.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I wish I had taken a pic of the doe I hit with the Jac-Hammer. I busted her right through the front shoulder and it was lodged in the offside shoulder. All blades were still intact. That to me tells me they can and do go through bone. But, years ago I had an older bow that didn’t have near the KE my new bow does, and I did have a bad experience. Now remember, this is before I knew any better Anyway, I had a deer walking up a logging road around 30-35 yards away. With that particular bow I was very confident with my shooting abilities to that distance. Anyway, I drew back and made the shot. To my surprise, the arrow hit the front shoulder, penetrated maybe 1″ and bounced out.
    So the moral of the story? Not sure
    I do know that we could debate the mechanicals vs. fixed until the cows come home and until they go back out again. Mechanicals need the higher KE to be 100% effective. They are not a cure all for a poorly tuned bow, and they are not for everyone. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with and have confidence using. I myself can shoot either one and not have to change my sights.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I wish I had taken a pic of the doe I hit with the Jac-Hammer. I busted her right through the front shoulder and it was lodged in the offside shoulder. All blades were still intact. That to me tells me they can and do go through bone. But, years ago I had an older bow that didn’t have near the KE my new bow does, and I did have a bad experience. Now remember, this is before I knew any better Anyway, I had a deer walking up a logging road around 30-35 yards away. With that particular bow I was very confident with my shooting abilities to that distance. Anyway, I drew back and made the shot. To my surprise, the arrow hit the front shoulder, penetrated maybe 1″ and bounced out.
    So the moral of the story? Not sure
    I do know that we could debate the mechanicals vs. fixed until the cows come home and until they go back out again. Mechanicals need the higher KE to be 100% effective. They are not a cure all for a poorly tuned bow, and they are not for everyone. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with and have confidence using. I myself can shoot either one and not have to change my sights.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.