mechanical broadheads vs traditional

• 4blade

I am thinking of trying mechanical broadheads next year and was wondering if anyone has had or heard of trouble with the blades deploying. I heard the Rocky Mountain snyper was a good one.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Without getting into a debate, I have had excellent results with the WASP Jac-Hammers as well as Spit fires. I like the Jac-Hammers the most though

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Without getting into a debate, I have had excellent results with the WASP Jac-Hammers as well as Spit fires. I like the Jac-Hammers the most though

4blade

have you ever had one fail. I had a buddy have one go through a deer and never deploy. I love the idea and think they would be much more accurate.

4blade

have you ever had one fail. I had a buddy have one go through a deer and never deploy. I love the idea and think they would be much more accurate.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have never had one fail. All deer that were hit had short trailing jobs and massive internal damage. It is almost impossible for them not to deploy. Most of the time when you go pick your arrow up after the shot, the blades will be in the closed position. That is from the inertia slamming them back shut. I have no problem with them.I also shoot fixed heads as well.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have never had one fail. All deer that were hit had short trailing jobs and massive internal damage. It is almost impossible for them not to deploy. Most of the time when you go pick your arrow up after the shot, the blades will be in the closed position. That is from the inertia slamming them back shut. I have no problem with them.I also shoot fixed heads as well.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I shoot Spitfires xp pros a great head never had one fail.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I shoot Spitfires xp pros a great head never had one fail.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Although I shoot 100 grain Thunderheads, I had great success with Bloodtrailers – just are not as easy to find any more.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Although I shoot 100 grain Thunderheads, I had great success with Bloodtrailers – just are not as easy to find any more.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Don’t mechanical broadheads slow down your arrow when it hits the deer? Someone told me that once, but I don’t know if it is true, it makes sense, seeing how it hits then expands…? I have always shot thunderheads, and never had a need to switch.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Don’t mechanical broadheads slow down your arrow when it hits the deer? Someone told me that once, but I don’t know if it is true, it makes sense, seeing how it hits then expands…? I have always shot thunderheads, and never had a need to switch.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not sure about them slowing down or not. I have had mostly pass-thru’s. If I hit bone they tend to stop, but not before the damage is done The blades on them are just as sharp as a fixed head, so them slowing down is more than likely a myth.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not sure about them slowing down or not. I have had mostly pass-thru’s. If I hit bone they tend to stop, but not before the damage is done The blades on them are just as sharp as a fixed head, so them slowing down is more than likely a myth.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I put a 2nd arrow in a deer 3 years back.. the 2nd shot was a mechanical. My 1st shot went slightly high, good shot, but no blood. I took the 2nd shot at 35 yards(deer was still) quartering away and passed cleanly into the rib cage from a 78# bow. The deer stretched its head back, bit the arrow, and pulled it out.. then proceded to run off.

I know a standard broad head would have at least caused some damage if the deer went to pull it out. I am confident my arrow would have had much better penetration with a standard broadhead because I have taken deer with very similar shots as the 2nd shot on that deer(quartering away).

I wont use mechanical broadheads anymore after that. It may have been a fluke, but I need to have full confidence in my equipment.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I put a 2nd arrow in a deer 3 years back.. the 2nd shot was a mechanical. My 1st shot went slightly high, good shot, but no blood. I took the 2nd shot at 35 yards(deer was still) quartering away and passed cleanly into the rib cage from a 78# bow. The deer stretched its head back, bit the arrow, and pulled it out.. then proceded to run off.

I know a standard broad head would have at least caused some damage if the deer went to pull it out. I am confident my arrow would have had much better penetration with a standard broadhead because I have taken deer with very similar shots as the 2nd shot on that deer(quartering away).

I wont use mechanical broadheads anymore after that. It may have been a fluke, but I need to have full confidence in my equipment.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Hard to pick as I have had good luck with both…..shot Muzzy 100’s for years, then 3 years ago my cousin and Greg from Andrews Archery told me about Rocket broadheads….I’ve shot 3 deer with them (shooting an AR bow at 60#) and all 3 were clean quick kills. The rocket took less messing around to get a good grouping.
    Good Luck
    For what its worth…Greg did indicate that they shot a bunch of mechanicals through a deer hide and the Rocket was the only one that opened 100% of the time.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Hard to pick as I have had good luck with both…..shot Muzzy 100’s for years, then 3 years ago my cousin and Greg from Andrews Archery told me about Rocket broadheads….I’ve shot 3 deer with them (shooting an AR bow at 60#) and all 3 were clean quick kills. The rocket took less messing around to get a good grouping.
    Good Luck
    For what its worth…Greg did indicate that they shot a bunch of mechanicals through a deer hide and the Rocket was the only one that opened 100% of the time.

big_g
    Isle, MN

just my .02. i think if you get a pass-thru, there is no difference. mechanicals will fly truer on a long shot, over 20 yards or so. if the arrow lodges, i would prefer a fixed blade, as i believe they do more damage as the deer is running away. i shot mechanicals this year, and they seem to fall out easier and doing little damage on the way out, because they fold up.

g

big_g
    Isle, MN

just my .02. i think if you get a pass-thru, there is no difference. mechanicals will fly truer on a long shot, over 20 yards or so. if the arrow lodges, i would prefer a fixed blade, as i believe they do more damage as the deer is running away. i shot mechanicals this year, and they seem to fall out easier and doing little damage on the way out, because they fold up.

g

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The damage is already inflicted upon entry.If they fall out while the deer is running away, it doesn’t matter. I will be the first to say that mechanicals are not made for everyone. Having the right bow set-up is a crucial part to the equation.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The damage is already inflicted upon entry.If they fall out while the deer is running away, it doesn’t matter. I will be the first to say that mechanicals are not made for everyone. Having the right bow set-up is a crucial part to the equation.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve shot a hole slough of different heads, both fixed blade and mechanical. Rocky Mountain Revolution, Rocket SlammerHead, and Wasp Jackhammers are 3 of my favorites for the mechanicals. G5 Montec and Steelforce are my 2 favorite fixed heads. I’ve gone back and forth between the mechincals and fixed blades and I’ve finally stuck with the fixed blades. Reason being, I’m not perfect. A well placed arrow with any broadhead on it will kill a deer. But what about the times when we aren’t perfect and hit a little too far forward or back. I want to know that my arrow is going to penetrate through the shoulder blade if it has too. With a fixed blade its going to. With a mechanical, maybe, maybe not. Does your bow create enough kinetic energy for a pass through? If you don’t know, you might want to find out. They say it takes 70# of KE for a pass through on a deer using a mechanical head. My $.02.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve shot a hole slough of different heads, both fixed blade and mechanical. Rocky Mountain Revolution, Rocket SlammerHead, and Wasp Jackhammers are 3 of my favorites for the mechanicals. G5 Montec and Steelforce are my 2 favorite fixed heads. I’ve gone back and forth between the mechincals and fixed blades and I’ve finally stuck with the fixed blades. Reason being, I’m not perfect. A well placed arrow with any broadhead on it will kill a deer. But what about the times when we aren’t perfect and hit a little too far forward or back. I want to know that my arrow is going to penetrate through the shoulder blade if it has too. With a fixed blade its going to. With a mechanical, maybe, maybe not. Does your bow create enough kinetic energy for a pass through? If you don’t know, you might want to find out. They say it takes 70# of KE for a pass through on a deer using a mechanical head. My $.02.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Bring on the Thunder heads ….
    I’m with BIG G on this one if you don’t get a pass the fixed blade WILL still cut and rip and whatever !
    Nothing better that a pass thru !

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Bring on the Thunder heads ….
    I’m with BIG G on this one if you don’t get a pass the fixed blade WILL still cut and rip and whatever !
    Nothing better that a pass thru !

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

G5 Montec and Steelforce are my 2 favorite fixed heads.

Ben, finally another guy that shoots SteelForce. I came across them about 3-5 years back by accident and thought I would give them a try. Man they have tore some stuff up for me , including my pants one time I have been very impressed with them; flight, penetration and cutting ability. I have had no reason to try anything else. I would like to try a Muzzy, but will probably do so when doe hunting. Cant’ risk a buck of a lifetime on a non prover for me ! My 2nd $.02

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

G5 Montec and Steelforce are my 2 favorite fixed heads.

Ben, finally another guy that shoots SteelForce. I came across them about 3-5 years back by accident and thought I would give them a try. Man they have tore some stuff up for me , including my pants one time I have been very impressed with them; flight, penetration and cutting ability. I have had no reason to try anything else. I would like to try a Muzzy, but will probably do so when doe hunting. Cant’ risk a buck of a lifetime on a non prover for me ! My 2nd $.02

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Like everyone is saying, a properly placed arrow with either broadhead does the job. But with a less than perfect shot, I would want my fixed blades to be doing the work.
    I know first hand of many friends that switched to the mechanicals only to have an arrow go in a few inches and fall out. I have heard the story many times. IMO if those big wide blades hit some bone it cocks the arrow or stops it all together.
    Just my .02
    I will not ever shoot them. With each broadhead there is pros and cons.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.