ground blinds vs portables

• 4blade

Thinking of using a ground blind instead of a portable to be more comfortable and was wondering if anyone has had good luck with the Doghouse by ameristep. Portables just seem very difficult to put up and get into. Anyone have trouble with deer picking out groundblinds.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I can’t give you any info on the Ameristep, but I can give you some help on the ground hunting. The positive things about the blinds are ease of setup,safer, and you can move more without being detected.
    The negative side is your visibility is limited and the blind can be spotted easier than a treestand.
    So with that being said, effective blind use calls for you to “blend” the blind in. It can be as simple as putting it near a bunch of grass, haybales, blowdowns, anything to break up the outline. Also, take a few branches and put them on the top and on the sides of the blind. This can all be done quickly and quietly at the time of the hunt. I like hunting out of the blind. It allows me to relax and move more which keeps me out in the feild longer.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I can’t give you any info on the Ameristep, but I can give you some help on the ground hunting. The positive things about the blinds are ease of setup,safer, and you can move more without being detected.
    The negative side is your visibility is limited and the blind can be spotted easier than a treestand.
    So with that being said, effective blind use calls for you to “blend” the blind in. It can be as simple as putting it near a bunch of grass, haybales, blowdowns, anything to break up the outline. Also, take a few branches and put them on the top and on the sides of the blind. This can all be done quickly and quietly at the time of the hunt. I like hunting out of the blind. It allows me to relax and move more which keeps me out in the feild longer.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I have a Doghouse It was $69 on sale from Fleet Farm. I took my boy out this year for the early doe season and it worked great. It is super simple to put up and take down. It is harder to see out of that up in a tree of course. It is a lot warmer though and you could leave all the windows up to really block the wind if needed. It did a good job of keeping the mosquito’s at bay in October. I think you can get away with quite a bit more movement in one also. I think everybody needs one -)

Good luck,

Ferny.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I have a Doghouse It was $69 on sale from Fleet Farm. I took my boy out this year for the early doe season and it worked great. It is super simple to put up and take down. It is harder to see out of that up in a tree of course. It is a lot warmer though and you could leave all the windows up to really block the wind if needed. It did a good job of keeping the mosquito’s at bay in October. I think you can get away with quite a bit more movement in one also. I think everybody needs one -)

Good luck,

Ferny.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

What about scent, if we are talking bowhunting? I would think that is a pretty big object to de-scent.

I know they are awesome for turkey hunting. I have an Ameristep, can’t remember what model. It isn’t nearly as nice as a double bull, but it is also about 1/3 the price.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

What about scent, if we are talking bowhunting? I would think that is a pretty big object to de-scent.

I know they are awesome for turkey hunting. I have an Ameristep, can’t remember what model. It isn’t nearly as nice as a double bull, but it is also about 1/3 the price.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I haven’t had an issue with scent yet But, I keep mine in the bag and it doesn’t seem to have picked up any bad scent. I have had deer literally within feet of this thing. I have more trouble with the old does picking it out from a distance. When I use it for scouting I set it up on the feild edges and watch for deer to enter the feilds in the evenings. Most deer give it a couple glances, then forget about it. They have their place and will not always work in your favor, but I still love them

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I haven’t had an issue with scent yet But, I keep mine in the bag and it doesn’t seem to have picked up any bad scent. I have had deer literally within feet of this thing. I have more trouble with the old does picking it out from a distance. When I use it for scouting I set it up on the feild edges and watch for deer to enter the feilds in the evenings. Most deer give it a couple glances, then forget about it. They have their place and will not always work in your favor, but I still love them

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.