Wounded deer question????

• e_dog4
    Rochester

About 10 mins before dark I shot a deer tonight, let him bed down for about 15 mins, then went to find a trail. Found some blood on the leaves and walked in a little further and found where he laid down and there was a good amount of blood. Here is my question, he jumped over a fence and went into Chesterwoods park near Rochester. I had already spoken with them before the season to let them know that I was hunting in some woods that adjoined the park on two sides, but when I called to talk to someone tonight all I got was their answering machine!! Will it be OK to wait til morning or is it too warm to the point that it will spoil ?? Not sure AI could try to track it tonight anyways though as there is a lot of woods and may get LOST in there????? THOUGHTS????? Thanks!!! E

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

hmmmmm…looking at your overnight forcast, it looks like it’s going to be kind of mild…barely dipping down to 40. I would call some buds up, get some million candle power spotlights and start walking. Use the buddy system and I would bet you’ll find it fairly quick. Good luck, hope you get ’em

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

hmmmmm…looking at your overnight forcast, it looks like it’s going to be kind of mild…barely dipping down to 40. I would call some buds up, get some million candle power spotlights and start walking. Use the buddy system and I would bet you’ll find it fairly quick. Good luck, hope you get ’em

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If it jumped a fence wait till first light. It should be fine if you get it right away in the mornin’. Do you have alot of Coyotes around the area? That would worry me the most.

I would agree with Slop only if I knew I made a good hit!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If it jumped a fence wait till first light. It should be fine if you get it right away in the mornin’. Do you have alot of Coyotes around the area? That would worry me the most.

I would agree with Slop only if I knew I made a good hit!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Did you see where the shot was placed? What did the blood look like? Alot of variables here that we do not know. Not to be critical here, but if you checked after 15 minutes, found where it bedded down, but is now gone, you may have a long tracking job ahead It could still be a lethal hit, but more than likely a little high or a little too far back. Hopefully you do not get any rain tonight and you can get out there early in the morning. Good luck

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Did you see where the shot was placed? What did the blood look like? Alot of variables here that we do not know. Not to be critical here, but if you checked after 15 minutes, found where it bedded down, but is now gone, you may have a long tracking job ahead It could still be a lethal hit, but more than likely a little high or a little too far back. Hopefully you do not get any rain tonight and you can get out there early in the morning. Good luck

david_scott
    Twin Cities

break out the lanturns, they pick up the blood nicely. When/if you lose the trail.. dont forget to look around.. more times than not its very near by.. spotlights are good for this. It should be ok if you leave it out overnight with the temps. I would retrieve it soon as possible.

It is legal to chase an injured animal onto other property… I would recommend leaving the guns at home in case you run into a warden.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

break out the lanturns, they pick up the blood nicely. When/if you lose the trail.. dont forget to look around.. more times than not its very near by.. spotlights are good for this. It should be ok if you leave it out overnight with the temps. I would retrieve it soon as possible.

It is legal to chase an injured animal onto other property… I would recommend leaving the guns at home in case you run into a warden.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

oh.. I will add one more thing. If the blood gets diluted somewhat, or its hard to pick up.. put some peroxide in a spray bottle to mist areas in question(you think there is blood).. the peroxide will foam up when it hits the blood.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

oh.. I will add one more thing. If the blood gets diluted somewhat, or its hard to pick up.. put some peroxide in a spray bottle to mist areas in question(you think there is blood).. the peroxide will foam up when it hits the blood.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

Sounds like you may have gut shot it, I would go out with some people and pick up the trail, If it is gut shot itwill want to lay down so if you go out and bump it again mark the spot and come back in the morning. I let one lay in this kind of weather and we found it the next day, it had been chewed on and it was spoiled.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

Sounds like you may have gut shot it, I would go out with some people and pick up the trail, If it is gut shot itwill want to lay down so if you go out and bump it again mark the spot and come back in the morning. I let one lay in this kind of weather and we found it the next day, it had been chewed on and it was spoiled.

fishinfool
    mn

dont have your gun with you. If you go on Chester Woods and especially after dark with a spotlight, you dont want a gun in the vehicle or you will be tagged for poaching. FF
    Even during the day, you can retrieve a deer but not with your gun.

fishinfool
    mn

dont have your gun with you. If you go on Chester Woods and especially after dark with a spotlight, you dont want a gun in the vehicle or you will be tagged for poaching. FF
    Even during the day, you can retrieve a deer but not with your gun.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe the rule on tracking an animal/bird retrieve your dog on private property is, it is legal to do so as long as you do not bring weapons (Gun, Bow, etc.)with you. You have the right to track the animal on private property until the landowner asks you to leave the property. At this time I would call the local CO and ask for help! Good Luck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe the rule on tracking an animal/bird retrieve your dog on private property is, it is legal to do so as long as you do not bring weapons (Gun, Bow, etc.)with you. You have the right to track the animal on private property until the landowner asks you to leave the property. At this time I would call the local CO and ask for help! Good Luck

e_dog4
    Rochester

One more question, just out of curiosity as to what the law states??? With only a cpl days of hunting left is a person allowed to go on stand early and wait til it gets light enough to track my deer, then what if another deer comes along while on stand???? Does the law require you to track a deer if you found blood???

e_dog4
    Rochester

One more question, just out of curiosity as to what the law states??? With only a cpl days of hunting left is a person allowed to go on stand early and wait til it gets light enough to track my deer, then what if another deer comes along while on stand???? Does the law require you to track a deer if you found blood???

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Eric I do not know what the law says but I would get on that trail in the AM and forget about hunting. I live and hunt very close to Chester woods in fact I think I heard your shot tonight. Forecast says 21mph winds for tomorrow. If you would like some help tracking him in the morning let me know. I will send you a PM with my phone #.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Eric I do not know what the law says but I would get on that trail in the AM and forget about hunting. I live and hunt very close to Chester woods in fact I think I heard your shot tonight. Forecast says 21mph winds for tomorrow. If you would like some help tracking him in the morning let me know. I will send you a PM with my phone #.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not sure this a question for the law, that’s something you and your own ethics have to decide. If you choose to ignore tonights deer, you may be cited for wantan(sp?) waste?? Don’t know the MN laws, but my personal suggestion is to not get back in the stand until you have exhausted every effort trying to retrieve this deer. You owe it to the deer first and foremost.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not sure this a question for the law, that’s something you and your own ethics have to decide. If you choose to ignore tonights deer, you may be cited for wantan(sp?) waste?? Don’t know the MN laws, but my personal suggestion is to not get back in the stand until you have exhausted every effort trying to retrieve this deer. You owe it to the deer first and foremost.

e_dog4
    Rochester

That is what I planned Kooty, I was just sitting here and that question came to mind so I was wondering if anyone knew the regs????

e_dog4
    Rochester

That is what I planned Kooty, I was just sitting here and that question came to mind so I was wondering if anyone knew the regs????

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

e-dog,

It looks as tho you have a deer on the ground, and it is your responsibility to go find it. and not just a simple little search. you need to put in the time and effort and go find it. it may not be in the regs (or maybe it is), it is probably hunting Ethics, that you do NOT go shoot another deer just because you don’t really feel like finding the first one.

Do the right thing and go find it. Give the deer you decided to shoot the respect it deserves. take some friends with you, it will increase your chances.

Good Luck. let us know how it goes.

Just read Kooty’s post, did n’t mean to restate what he said, it just took me 40 minutes to finish this post due to work problems.

Jack..

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

e-dog,

It looks as tho you have a deer on the ground, and it is your responsibility to go find it. and not just a simple little search. you need to put in the time and effort and go find it. it may not be in the regs (or maybe it is), it is probably hunting Ethics, that you do NOT go shoot another deer just because you don’t really feel like finding the first one.

Do the right thing and go find it. Give the deer you decided to shoot the respect it deserves. take some friends with you, it will increase your chances.

Good Luck. let us know how it goes.

Just read Kooty’s post, did n’t mean to restate what he said, it just took me 40 minutes to finish this post due to work problems.

Jack..

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Well said Jack!! Eric did you find the deer?

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Well said Jack!! Eric did you find the deer?

e_dog4
    Rochester

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Went out there this morning at 6:45 with some friends until about noon and could not find it yet. It was nearly impossible to find a blood trail even as a lot of the leaves in there were a dark brown/red and these woods are THICK!!!!!! We followed the trail til we lost it and then just all split up searced. I REALLY wish I would have gone out last night as the fresh blood was a LOT easier to see!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.