how much triple 7 ???

• fishgod

does any one know what max charge of powder can be used in a omega muzzleloader I use 150 peradox ,but want to go to triple 7 ,can I use the same or do I need to cut back ,anybody useing it ???

robby
    Quad Cities

Your max charge will not change between pyrodex and triple 7. I shoot triple 7 and like how clean it burns. I am not convinced that it provides quite the power that pyrodex does, but I am not going to change yet. All you need to clean triple 7 from your bore and breech is hot water. If mine is really dirty I all some dish washing detergent to the hot water and then rinse with clean water.

robby
    Quad Cities

Your max charge will not change between pyrodex and triple 7. I shoot triple 7 and like how clean it burns. I am not convinced that it provides quite the power that pyrodex does, but I am not going to change yet. All you need to clean triple 7 from your bore and breech is hot water. If mine is really dirty I all some dish washing detergent to the hot water and then rinse with clean water.

mile832
    MN

Hodgson Co. ,which makes Pyrodex and Triple 7 pellets, says you should not use more than 100 grains of either brand. I know some muzzleloader manufacturers say you can use magnum charges, up to 150 grains, but their has been some controversy as to the safety of using this much powder, especially with BPI manufactured guns (TRADITIONS, CVA, and NEW FRONTIER). I personally go with Hodgson and only use 100 grains or less to be on the safe side. 100 grains will give you plenty of power.

mile832
    MN

Hodgson Co. ,which makes Pyrodex and Triple 7 pellets, says you should not use more than 100 grains of either brand. I know some muzzleloader manufacturers say you can use magnum charges, up to 150 grains, but their has been some controversy as to the safety of using this much powder, especially with BPI manufactured guns (TRADITIONS, CVA, and NEW FRONTIER). I personally go with Hodgson and only use 100 grains or less to be on the safe side. 100 grains will give you plenty of power.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I believe there has been a bunch of studys on whether or not you can even burn 150 grains or if it just ends up on the ground not burned. I also have read that 150 grains may not be safe. I use triple 7 and 100 grains is plenty- many a deer have fallen fast on out to 125 yards. Just my opinion.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I believe there has been a bunch of studys on whether or not you can even burn 150 grains or if it just ends up on the ground not burned. I also have read that 150 grains may not be safe. I use triple 7 and 100 grains is plenty- many a deer have fallen fast on out to 125 yards. Just my opinion.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I shoot 100 grains of Triple7 through my Encore and have been very happy with the results.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I shoot 100 grains of Triple7 through my Encore and have been very happy with the results.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Fish. I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain of pyrodex and Thompson Shock wave bullets.Not one deer took a step Two pellots of either or 100 grains is all you need.I will be switching to triple 7 when my pyrodex runs out and will give it a try.I know it burns alot cleaner.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Fish. I have shot 3 deer with 100 grain of pyrodex and Thompson Shock wave bullets.Not one deer took a step Two pellots of either or 100 grains is all you need.I will be switching to triple 7 when my pyrodex runs out and will give it a try.I know it burns alot cleaner.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I also shoot the TC omega with 250 grain shockwaves and 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and the deer don’t go anywhere when hit. I have heard that more than 120 grains of powder is just a waste because it doesn’t burn much more than that.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I also shoot the TC omega with 250 grain shockwaves and 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and the deer don’t go anywhere when hit. I have heard that more than 120 grains of powder is just a waste because it doesn’t burn much more than that.

nomad
    Plainview Mn

Not to change the subject but do you use bore butter when loadind your shockwaves they seem to load hard after one or two shots.

nomad
    Plainview Mn

Not to change the subject but do you use bore butter when loadind your shockwaves they seem to load hard after one or two shots.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

No I don’t! Mine load very easy and I can probably shoot better than 20 times without even running a patch down it. I know that my TC aligns the bullet at the muzzle to center it so it takes a little presure to get it past that squeezed down area. I’m not sure but my buddy has a CVA Optima and just befor the bullet is seated it gets tight. With a little presure to get past that spot it drops right in place so I’m thinking the optima centers the bullit closer to the breach. I tried powerbelt bullits befor and could not load a 2nd shot without cleaning, switched to shock waves and they slide right down.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

No I don’t! Mine load very easy and I can probably shoot better than 20 times without even running a patch down it. I know that my TC aligns the bullet at the muzzle to center it so it takes a little presure to get it past that squeezed down area. I’m not sure but my buddy has a CVA Optima and just befor the bullet is seated it gets tight. With a little presure to get past that spot it drops right in place so I’m thinking the optima centers the bullit closer to the breach. I tried powerbelt bullits befor and could not load a 2nd shot without cleaning, switched to shock waves and they slide right down.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

I have used triple 7 since it came out. Last year I shot one about 175 yards out with 100 grains and a powerbelt bullet dropped like a rock. My buddy use some long range sabot and the same powder,he got one + or – 220 yards(stepped off no ranges finder) and it didn’t go more than one step. We both have Tradition Lightning rifles So I would say any more than 100 grains is a waste not to mention makes the arm really sore when practiceing.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

I have used triple 7 since it came out. Last year I shot one about 175 yards out with 100 grains and a powerbelt bullet dropped like a rock. My buddy use some long range sabot and the same powder,he got one + or – 220 yards(stepped off no ranges finder) and it didn’t go more than one step. We both have Tradition Lightning rifles So I would say any more than 100 grains is a waste not to mention makes the arm really sore when practiceing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.