Five Perfect Whitetail Rifles

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What can you or anyone tell me about the Remington MODEL 700 good or bad, there are so many different ones to choose from which one would make an all around good deer rifle?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What can you or anyone tell me about the Remington MODEL 700 good or bad, there are so many different ones to choose from which one would make an all around good deer rifle?

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Don’t know that much about rifles but I do know the article nailed the cartridge twice by choosing the 30 ought’6.

Gundy

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Don’t know that much about rifles but I do know the article nailed the cartridge twice by choosing the 30 ought’6.

Gundy

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I personally would prefer a .270 to the 06 when shooting flat open terrain, just personal preference. I’ve shot whitetails with 22.250, 25.06 and the .270. This was all open range shooting, meaning not much for cover. These rifles perform great under these conditions. I’ll say one thing about the 30.06, you can buy shells at any gas station in the nation almost.

kooty
    Keymaster

I personally would prefer a .270 to the 06 when shooting flat open terrain, just personal preference. I’ve shot whitetails with 22.250, 25.06 and the .270. This was all open range shooting, meaning not much for cover. These rifles perform great under these conditions. I’ll say one thing about the 30.06, you can buy shells at any gas station in the nation almost.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Mike,
    I know very little about rifles so any input is much appreciated, in your first post you talked about the problems with the Remington Model 7400, this is a Semi-automatic correct? I was wondering about the Model 700 bolt action, does this gun have the same problems as the 7400 Semi-automatic?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Mike,
    I know very little about rifles so any input is much appreciated, in your first post you talked about the problems with the Remington Model 7400, this is a Semi-automatic correct? I was wondering about the Model 700 bolt action, does this gun have the same problems as the 7400 Semi-automatic?

kooty
    Keymaster

I think you would really like that rifle Steve. I prefer to buy a little less expensive rifle(most of mine have been savage, base model winchester and remington). I stick my money into the optics. I believe most rifles are as accurate as the shooter. If you plan to make 1000 yard shots, then we should talk. I’m guessing most shots in MN aren’t over 150 yards. Which where I’m from is really close. A 300 yard shot is nothing out on the plains. Keep these factors in mind when buying optics also.

kooty
    Keymaster

I think you would really like that rifle Steve. I prefer to buy a little less expensive rifle(most of mine have been savage, base model winchester and remington). I stick my money into the optics. I believe most rifles are as accurate as the shooter. If you plan to make 1000 yard shots, then we should talk. I’m guessing most shots in MN aren’t over 150 yards. Which where I’m from is really close. A 300 yard shot is nothing out on the plains. Keep these factors in mind when buying optics also.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m sorry, but I got to pipe in.

This Top 5, bragging about a 30-06, is old school. Today’s rounds are soo much faster, more accurate, better designed with less recoil, that the 06, along with the 308 are slowly becoming obsolete.

The new short magnums are superb in both accuracy, speed, and distance, along with a much lighter recoil.

Today, you couldn’t give me a 06 or a 308. I’ll take the 270 wsm, 7mm, 7mm wsm, 300win, 300win wsm. AND even the new 243 wsm.

What really surprised me is that they listed a weatherby, but gave it a non-weatherby caliber listing? Why would you spend that kind of money for a rifle and go cheap on the round? Weatherby cartridges are soo superb in todays market that they excell all calibers factory produced.
    The draw back to weatherby is that most people don’t want to drop $2 or $3 bucks a round for ammo.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

This Top 5, bragging about a 30-06, is old school. Today’s rounds are soo much faster, more accurate, better designed with less recoil, that the 06, along with the 308 are slowly becoming obsolete.

The new short magnums are superb in both accuracy, speed, and distance, along with a much lighter recoil.

Today, you couldn’t give me a 06 or a 308. I’ll take the 270 wsm, 7mm, 7mm wsm, 300win, 300win wsm. AND even the new 243 wsm.

What really surprised me is that they listed a weatherby, but gave it a non-weatherby caliber listing? Why would you spend that kind of money for a rifle and go cheap on the round? Weatherby cartridges are soo superb in todays market that they excell all calibers factory produced.
    The draw back to weatherby is that most people don’t want to drop $2 or $3 bucks a round for ammo.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have another dumb question what is wsm?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have another dumb question what is wsm?

grouse

Hey Gary…keep reading the outdoor magazine articles that are filling you in on the “latest and greatest” new rounds. The 30-06 and the 308 are classic deer cartridges that will never go away.

grouse

Hey Gary…keep reading the outdoor magazine articles that are filling you in on the “latest and greatest” new rounds. The 30-06 and the 308 are classic deer cartridges that will never go away.

kooty
    Keymaster

The short mag vs regular mag shells is like talking religion/politics. It seems most people feel strongly one way or the other. Go to your local sporting goods store, ask the guy behind the counter his opinion on the new short mags. I’m betting every other guy will give you a different answer.

I’ve personally never shot one. I saw the affect a long magnum cartridge had on a guy who is used to shooting a .243 at deer. On our elk hunt my buddy short stroked his second shot and got the ever so loud “click”. In this scenario, he had borrowed a 300 Win mag but hadn’t shot it enough, along with some adrenaline it can happen. The short mag has it’s place for guys like him.

As for accuracy, I can’t speak to this since I haven’t studied any statistics etc.. Good info guys, keep sharing!!!

kooty
    Keymaster

The short mag vs regular mag shells is like talking religion/politics. It seems most people feel strongly one way or the other. Go to your local sporting goods store, ask the guy behind the counter his opinion on the new short mags. I’m betting every other guy will give you a different answer.

I’ve personally never shot one. I saw the affect a long magnum cartridge had on a guy who is used to shooting a .243 at deer. On our elk hunt my buddy short stroked his second shot and got the ever so loud “click”. In this scenario, he had borrowed a 300 Win mag but hadn’t shot it enough, along with some adrenaline it can happen. The short mag has it’s place for guys like him.

As for accuracy, I can’t speak to this since I haven’t studied any statistics etc.. Good info guys, keep sharing!!!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Quote:

THE SUN WILL STAY DOWN FOR ALONG TIME WHEN THE TURRRDY 06 BECOMES ABSOLUTE. HOW MANY CARTRIDGES ARE DERIVED FROM THE TURDY 06? IT IS A LONG LIST.

GUNDY

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Quote:

THE SUN WILL STAY DOWN FOR ALONG TIME WHEN THE TURRRDY 06 BECOMES ABSOLUTE. HOW MANY CARTRIDGES ARE DERIVED FROM THE TURDY 06? IT IS A LONG LIST.

GUNDY

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have to pipe in here. I am an avid rifle shooter. I reload and do a lot of benchrest shooting and ballistic testing with my chrono. I was trained in the military and made the base rifle team whwich competed several times a year at distances out to 600yds and beyond.
    The .308 Winchester is the most accurate round ever developed and STILL is the the favored round in long range competition along with the .300 Win Mag.
    I have successfully hunted big game(mostly Whitetails)for over 40 years in several states and killed over 60 bucks.
    Any centerfire caliber will kill a deer with a well placed shot.
    I like the combination of quick humane kills with a minimum of bloodshot table meat. Where I hunt in thick cover, no farm fields, just swamps and pine thickets. My Sako mod.75 Hunter in .308 using a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet does this extremely well, plus it shoots 5 shots into less than a 1/2″ diameter at 100yds.

Steve, the older Rem 700s were tackdrivers right out of the box. The new ones are as capable however the trigger pulls are very heavy(probably due to liability) which is only an inexpensive adjustment at a gunsmith.

Some great reasonably priced rifles are Tikka(Sako), Vanguard(Weatherby/Howa) and Savage. Remember caliber is not nearly as important as bullet construction and placement. I would rather see a hunter comfortably shooting a .243 accurately than flinching behind a 30.06.

tom_gursky

I have to pipe in here. I am an avid rifle shooter. I reload and do a lot of benchrest shooting and ballistic testing with my chrono. I was trained in the military and made the base rifle team whwich competed several times a year at distances out to 600yds and beyond.
    The .308 Winchester is the most accurate round ever developed and STILL is the the favored round in long range competition along with the .300 Win Mag.
    I have successfully hunted big game(mostly Whitetails)for over 40 years in several states and killed over 60 bucks.
    Any centerfire caliber will kill a deer with a well placed shot.
    I like the combination of quick humane kills with a minimum of bloodshot table meat. Where I hunt in thick cover, no farm fields, just swamps and pine thickets. My Sako mod.75 Hunter in .308 using a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet does this extremely well, plus it shoots 5 shots into less than a 1/2″ diameter at 100yds.

Steve, the older Rem 700s were tackdrivers right out of the box. The new ones are as capable however the trigger pulls are very heavy(probably due to liability) which is only an inexpensive adjustment at a gunsmith.

Some great reasonably priced rifles are Tikka(Sako), Vanguard(Weatherby/Howa) and Savage. Remember caliber is not nearly as important as bullet construction and placement. I would rather see a hunter comfortably shooting a .243 accurately than flinching behind a 30.06.

tom_gursky

No offense meant but check your ballistics Gary.
    Only the .270 WSM exceeds the standard long version capability (of all the short mags.)
    The data you are reading is based only on available factory ammo tested…not ballistic potential.
    I too appreciate Weatherby rifles and have owned several. But magnum power does not make a caliber better. Actually a .300 Rem Ultra Mag is more powerful than a .300 WBY Mag and a 7 STW is “superior” to a 7mm WBY Mag.
    Most average hunters will develop a pretty good flinch trying to shoot the wonderfully flat shooting magnums. My favorite Elk rifle is a Wby Ultra Lightweight in .300 Wby, but I think one in 7mm08 would be a “dream” deer rifle.

Just my 0.02$ worth…

tom_gursky

No offense meant but check your ballistics Gary.
    Only the .270 WSM exceeds the standard long version capability (of all the short mags.)
    The data you are reading is based only on available factory ammo tested…not ballistic potential.
    I too appreciate Weatherby rifles and have owned several. But magnum power does not make a caliber better. Actually a .300 Rem Ultra Mag is more powerful than a .300 WBY Mag and a 7 STW is “superior” to a 7mm WBY Mag.
    Most average hunters will develop a pretty good flinch trying to shoot the wonderfully flat shooting magnums. My favorite Elk rifle is a Wby Ultra Lightweight in .300 Wby, but I think one in 7mm08 would be a “dream” deer rifle.

Just my 0.02$ worth…

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

You cant go wrong with the remington 700. My brother has a Remington 700 BDL .270 it is a very accurate gun. He had the trigger adjusted to 2 lbs pull. I also recommend getting a high quality scope. Low quality scopes are just not accurate and you can see so much more in low light conditions with a high quality scope. You pay for what you get.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

You cant go wrong with the remington 700. My brother has a Remington 700 BDL .270 it is a very accurate gun. He had the trigger adjusted to 2 lbs pull. I also recommend getting a high quality scope. Low quality scopes are just not accurate and you can see so much more in low light conditions with a high quality scope. You pay for what you get.

kooty
    Keymaster

I borrowed a friend’s 7MM STW. What a gun!!! I’m thinking it will be my next purchase. Tom, feed us some more info. I love learning from knowlegdable guys like you!!

kooty
    Keymaster

I borrowed a friend’s 7MM STW. What a gun!!! I’m thinking it will be my next purchase. Tom, feed us some more info. I love learning from knowlegdable guys like you!!

docternus
    Ramsey, Minnesota

Steve, I own both the 7400 and the 700. the 7400 auto is not worth the cardboard it was shipped in! The model 700 is an awesome gun. I just bought one this fall and love it. I got it in the 300 magnum. Wow!!! Flat, flat, flat.! The 700 has been around for ever. Military snipers use it as well as law enforcement snipers. Probably millions have been made with no major changes in design. So few moving parts it is hard to jam or fowl. DO NOT BUY A 7400 AUTO!!!! Talk to any gun dealer and they will tell you the same. What a pice of s—. emal me if you would like to know any thing else about the 700.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.