Deep fryer suggestions

• tim hurley

Tired of using a frying pan-any suggestions for a brand of deep fryer?
    Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks

Get a big cast pan and turkey fryer base. This is how we roll and it’s the easiest less messy clean up ever.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I use a Fry Daddy, on the deck or under the microwave with the fan on. The Flying saucer works really good also. Also depends on what your deep frying? Is the Fry Daddy big enough? Its good for onion rings and 4 or 5 walleye fillets at one time. Can I do a turkey no but they make turkey fryers for that.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

There is a bigger Fry Daddy, Big Daddy I think. It holds half a gallon of grease instead of just a quart like the fry daddy does so the grease stays hotter if you have to do a second batch or third batch. For bigger jobs it’s the old turkey fryer, But it is a pain in the ass to clean the Turkey fryer way.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What kind of volume are you talking? Something that you can do a few things on a semi-regular basis? If so, one of the square countertop ones would be the route. We usually only have a big fry a couple times a year, and like the turkey fryer base with a fry pan/basket on it for bigger cooks.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I fry fish more than a few days a week and I was a cast iron fry pan guy. IMO it was the best way but I’ve since moved onto a much better way. A simple deep fryer. Not only is it easier and easier to clean up it also gives you a better product. I turn the oil to 375 and I have the best fillets with the least amount of oil soaked in. The fillets are full of natural moisture and no oil.

I use the ProFry on Amazon.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240719_101526_Chrome.jpg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Joe, what do you do with the oil after the fish are all cooked?

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I have the same fryer as Joe and it works very well. You do have to clean a number of things when done tho and it takes a while for the oil to cool down. I do agree that it is nice that you just set the temp and dont have to worry about it. Lately I have transitioned to pan frying in butter and its less mess and the results are awesome.

ThunderLund78

If you don’t mind cooking outdoors (and not stinking up your kitchen) go with The Fryin’ Saucer. I bought one 12 years ago and never looked back. routinely do fish fries for the whole family at the cabin. Uses less oil, heats up quick and really easy clean-up.

Just google the Fryin’ Saucer.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

RV Works Cajun Fryer – they are pricy but the design of it allows one to change the oil infrequently.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

RV Works Cajun Fryer – they are pricy but the design of it allows one to change the oil infrequently.

This is what I have used for years. Actually have 2 of the 3 basket models as we used to do a lot of fish fry events for charities. They are frying machines.

RV Works does have a variety of sizes, from ones for the home/cabin to ones that could be used for a business.

Dean

KP
    Hudson, WI

If you don’t mind cooking outdoors (and not stinking up your kitchen) go with The Fryin’ Saucer. I bought one 12 years ago and never looked back. routinely do fish fries for the whole family at the cabin. Uses less oil, heats up quick and really easy clean-up.
    Just google the Fryin’ Saucer.

How does it work for frying up stuff other than fish and have you used it in cold weather?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I fry fish more than a few days a week and I was a cast iron fry pan guy. IMO it was the best way but I’ve since moved onto a much better way. A simple deep fryer. Not only is it easier and easier to clean up it also gives you a better product. I turn the oil to 375 and I have the best fillets with the least amount of oil soaked in. The fillets are full of natural moisture and no oil.

I have the same one and love it. Cast Iron is OK. But really hard to regulate the temp. It also tends to break down oil much faster

tim hurley

Regulating the temp is a big reason to get a deep fryer (for me). Pro fry looks good. BTW we do a family fish fry once a year, 10-15 people otherwise the occasional fry for 2. Might do chicken 2x a year that would be it. Thanks for all the replies.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I still miss my turkey fryer for fish fries outside, after 15 years the darn thing broke.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>
    Thanks

Get a big cast pan and turkey fryer base. This is how we roll and it’s the easiest less messy clean up ever.

This is a good way but it’s really nice to have a basket. We have a big pot that goes on the turkey fryer and then a basket inside the pot. Makes it so much easier to get the hot filets out. We use it for fries and tots, too.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I bought the Hamilton Beach 3 Qt. fryer five years ago at Fleet Farm. (Comes in a two-basket as well). We set it up on a table on our deck in October, and leave it there until late March, frying fish every week or two and filtering or changing oil as needed. It heats up to temp just fine even in frigid weather, and the beer I’m having while frying stays cold…..win-win. The wife says it’s much easier to clean than our older fryer that bit the dust. Unless we have a major family fry, we don’t use it in the summer. If this fryer were to bite the dust, I’d replace it with the same.
    For low-volume summer fish-fries, we heat up a cast iron pan on the propane grill, add oil and bring up to temp, and shallow fry fillets with grill lid closed, so that all the splatter burns off. No mess to clean up, except for the pan.

jwellsy

Oil management is what I’d like to hear about too.
    Where/how do you store new/open and used oil?
    Do you only use it one time?
    How often do you filter it?
    When’s it time to dump it on the burn pile?

tim hurley

Z-grill and cast iron is what I have been doing, with a fryer you can control the temp better, also with the grill I have had the oil catch on fire. (not a visual the wife likes!)

Might still do the pan and grill for small batches.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crawdaddy wrote:</div>

Oil management is what I’d like to hear about too.
    Where/how do you store new/open and used oil?
    Do you only use it one time?
    How often do you filter it?
    When’s it time to dump it on the burn pile?

Oil should only be drained into a metal container. Drain it when it’s relievedly hot. It’s at it’s most liquid point hot. Same as when you drain your car oil. Be sure to get all the crunchies out of the bottom of the fry pot. Dry it with a paper towel so flying stuff doesn’t stick to the pot when empty. For storage once it’s completely cool grab a piece of your wife suran wrap and cover the pot.

Change the oil when the fish or whatever you are frying starts to get a deeper color. The product is then absorbing oil. Fresh oil and temp control is the key to deep frying.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If I’m not going to be frying again for a few days, I will usually strain it through one of those paper filters and the big plastic funnel that they sell just for this application. I filter it right back into the jug that it came in and sometimes put it in the fridge and sometimes not. Remember, restaurants don’t drain their oil every night or cool it. Oil doesn’t turn rancid that fast if you’re gonna fry again in a few days just cover it and leave it in your fryer. I’ve left mine in my fryer easily for a week(and even a month with no refrigeration filtered into the jug) with no side effects. And when it does get dirty and you wanna have a bonfire, nothing gets a bonfire hotter, and start the logs better than deep fryer oil once you have some kindling going to ignite it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn
    glenn57
    cold spring mn

my used oil gets saved for bear baiting!!! coffee

robby
    Quad Cities

I have this and like it. I have also had a Fry Daddy and it worked well. Not much mess if you are careful. Suprising how little oil you actually use. The oil can be easily used again and again, to a point. Just strain through a coffee filter or cheese cloth. I used to keep a Fry Daddy full of used oil in my refridgerator and used several times without changing the oil or straining. Just took longer to heat up to cooking temp.

ThunderLund78

How does it work for frying up stuff other than fish and have you used it in cold weather?

I’ve fried everything from onion rings, potatoes, chicken wings, egg rolls, etc – works awesome. Perhaps have to go in smaller batches than a turkey fryer, but the time you save in not having to heat up 1-2 gallons of oil at a time more than makes up for it. Plus the platform around the grease well heats up so you can keep your cooked batches warm while the rest is cooking. Have used it in cooler temperatures as well and it’s worked just fine. I haven’t done it in the middle of winter, but as long as it’s out of the wind, I think it would do fine, might just take a little longer to heat up.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

They still sell them……..

I still miss my turkey fryer for fish fries outside, after 15 years the darn thing broke.

tim hurley

Any difference between the ProFry and the FryDaddy?

riverbassman

Depending on how much you fry at a given time, you can get 2-3 cooks per grease. You typically have to add a little bit new grease after straining/filtering because you will lose some. Like said above, filter it while still pretty warm and after it has settled…. don’t dump the bottom dirty grease/crumbs, etc. I put back in original container in cool, dark place.
    You will know immediately if it gets rancid by smelling it.

CaptainMusky

I have a turkey fryer but use a smaller pan on top for fish and other things. Never tried a frying saucer or whatever, but its hard to beat the amount you can cook in a pan and I just dont see that happening with one of those things.
    Oil wise as long as you get oil to temp and cook properly that oil will last for several cooks.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’m surprised nobody else has said it. The Frying Saucer! Uses very little oil, nice sides to drain your fillets and keep them hot at the same time. I’ve used the same 1 lb. cylinder for the last 2 fries and still some left.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.