Deep Fry Oil for Fish

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yep ^^^
    Plus it will quickly rise in temp after it gets to a certain temp. It will turn color and will get really nasty! This varies by different oil types thus the “flash temps”. Oil that is flashing is dangerous to handle, supper hot, anything introduced into it the oil boils like crazy and smokes.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Basically Everything has a flash point which means that at a certain temperature it heats to the point where it is no longer any good because it burns, even if it doesn’t catch fire. You can heat cooking oil, even if there’s nothing in the cooker, to the point where it changes the taste of whats being cooked and no longer cooks like it does before it hits the flash point, burning the oil changes its taste plus changes the composition on the oil, then a person will be cooking with over heated oil or been previously overheated.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

I like the crisco blend (canola, sunflower, soybeen) or buttery flavor crisco butter shortening. Always crispy fish.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I have always heard the term “cracking the oil” same thing I’m guessing

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Thanks for the clarification Denny and Mossy! Once again, I learned something in spite of myself.

Adam Nagorski

I have always used Canola oil, seems to last longer if reused in a fry daddy, compared to vegetable oil.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve always used peanut oil for frying since I thought I heard or read it was the best.

Iowaboy1

canola oil gives me headaches because of how it is processed so I use sunflower oil.
    one trick I use when frying anything,flavor the oil first with the breading you are using.

when frying chicken,flavor the oil with cut up onion until the onion is starting to wrinkle up,dont throw it away when done,make onion sandwiches with it!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My Mother used old school lard for frying everything. The other day I thought why not just buy some and try it and see how it tastes. Now I know why my mom used lard because our chicken fried in a cast iron skillet was just plain delicious and brought back a lot of memories of my moms kitchen. An old gal I knew, Orvelda French and old farm gal and friend said you can’t make good pie crusts without using lard, so that’s my next project.

The chicken we fried came out of the pan nice and crisp and definitely had the old school taste, in fact had it twice in the last couple weeks and it really isn’t greasy atleast for my tatsebuds. Canola oil is what we have used for years on everything we fry, pan or deep frying and it is good, but when it comes to chicken I think Im going to stick with lard, and ya it is good tasteing chicken.

smackemup
    North Metro

Canola in my opinion is the best all around because it is cheaper than most of the other options, also it has a higher smoke/flash point than most of them. Because my family believes it tastes better, and they are paying for it, I fry the thanksgiving turkey in peanut oil. I make sure it never gets too hot, run it through a coffee filter or chinois and put it back in the jug it came in, if you can keep it clean you are fine. I don’t do fish fries often, but when I do I use canola oil and throw down outdoors.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve also heard lard is the way to really go. I saw one of those traveling food shows and the guy at Mickey’s Diner said lard only for the hash browns.

Anyone try cocoanut oil? We did for hash browns, but line olive oil, it is not tasteless. It’s just a hint, but hashbrowns with a hint of cocoanut isn’t good. But I imagine fish, especially seasoned fish, it would be good.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Back in the day……..in a galaxy far far away……..I sold fryer oil to restaurants and here was some tips that came directly from the manufacturer of all the oils we sold.

1) Maintain oil temp by Not over loading the fryer with too much product. Use a digital thermometer if possible.
    2) Never pour any product from the bag into the oil. All the frost crystals as well as particles from the bottom of the bag go into the oil. Particles lay in the bottom of the fryer and continue to cook and destroy the oil.
    3) Filter oil on a regular basis.
    4) Storaging oil for a long period of time in refrigerator if possible.
    5) Cover oil to keep air/oxygen from contact with oil if possible.

Might have been a couple more but that is as much as my gray matter CPU can dig up out of the archives.

Happy Frying!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I always throw a sliced potato into the oil after I’m done frying fish, it takes any flavor from the fish out of the oil, let the oil cool, strain it through a coffee filter, and refrigerate until the next use.

I prefer Canola oil as well.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Every once in a while I pan fry them in butter. I just get the butter as hot as possible without burning. They dont get very crispy but man are they good. They arent greasy either. They are buttery!! jester

I love sunnies done in butter and a little lemon pepper. It’s more sautéing than frying. Quick, easy, no mess and delicious!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Funny that I see this thread this morning…Last night I was out of oil (I typically use Kirkland brand Veg oil from Costco to fry my fish…) so I went to Cub to get a small container (until my next Costco run…) and bought the generic brand. Bad move Elroy! Greasy and took forever to get the fish to brown. Fish was over done and mushy because of it. I’ll be trying Canola next time for sure…

Rod Bent

Has anybody tried rice bran oil? It’s has a high smoke point apparently.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Canola oil seems to work well and it’s easy to find, pretty much every grocery carries it and it’s cheap.

My personal favorite is peanut oil, though. For me this is a multi-purpose oil because it does fantastic fish and terrific french fries and fried chicken.

BTW, speaking of fried food, for you guys that like to try something new here’s one. Save the bacon drippings in a container in your fridge and then do some pan fried chicken in 100% bacon fat or a 50-50 mix of bacon fat and peanut oil. This is illegal in California and 3 other states because it tastes too damn good, but screw them. Let the chicken cool on bakers racks until it’s absolutely room temp and then it’s crispy picnic dynamite. Get yourself some of that.

Grouse

KP
    Hudson, WI

Canola oil seems to work well and it’s easy to find, pretty much every grocery carries it and it’s cheap.

My personal favorite is peanut oil, though. For me this is a multi-purpose oil because it does fantastic fish and terrific french fries and fried chicken.

BTW, speaking of fried food, for you guys that like to try something new here’s one. Save the bacon drippings in a container in your fridge and then do some pan fried chicken in 100% bacon fat or a 50-50 mix of bacon fat and peanut oil. This is illegal in California and 3 other states because it tastes too damn good, but screw them. Let the chicken cool on bakers racks until it’s absolutely room temp and then it’s crispy picnic dynamite. Get yourself some of that.

Grouse

I will definitely be trying this!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Grilled cheese, toasting burger buns, fried peanut butter sandwiches, tuna melts all are fantastic with bacon grease replacing the butter!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Grilled cheese, toasting burger buns, fried peanut butter sandwiches, tuna melts all are fantastic with bacon grease replacing the butter!

Also popping corn!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We eat a lot of turkey burgers. I used to mix in a little left over bacon greAse into the patties.

deertracker

You’re missing the point of the turkey burger than Pug. Lol
    DT

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

We eat a lot of turkey burgers. I used to mix in a little left over bacon greAse into the patties.

X2…I lived on that stuff in the mid 80’s. .88 a roll and I added bacon grease. A cheap alternative to very good burgers!

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.