Custom Rod Reel attachment

• Obi-Wan

If you say so….

As others have said, before you tape down the reel, put a base layer of electrical tape on the handle and LEAVE IT ON. The reason you’re damaging your handles is you keep peeling the tape off the cork………

Here are the quote’s since you’re a quoter and apparently a judge of character. I never made you reply to this topic also.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You really need to read before you type… Everyone here is trying to help you. The reason he said “LEAVE IT ON” is he was talking about the base layer of tape, NOT THE REEL!!! You decided you weren’t going to listen from the time you asked your question.

The reason I responded is I’m interested in this topic and no one knows it all hence I’m going to try the self sticking tape soon. Thanks Merican Eagle for the tip.

People on this site have a lot of info and I think if you came in here with a bit more patience you’d see that. I learn things everyday from the people of IDO. This is a great site to learn more about fishing and many other topics. Take care.

Does this info apply to regular non-custom ice rods? jester

Obi-Wan

Whatever Joe. I clearly stated in my original post I didn’t want to use tape. You also need to read. I admit I may have miss understood about a base layer of tape (which doesn’t interest me anyway). Oops my bad. I don’t remember writing “convince me to keep using tape”. I was all ears about other options. I’m glad my post gave you alternatives too. Peace man.

Ryan Wilson

I don’t know. If the only reason you won’t use electrical tape on an ice rod handle is because it destroys cork, you aren’t applying it correctly. (No offense intended).

I went over this situation when I got my first custom ice rod. Castration bands work ok but the indents left on the handle enraged my ocd. Not going to have it. As far as a “wrap” goes, electrical tape solves a few things for me. 1, it’s super cheap. 2, you can get different colors and color coordinate separate rigs. 3, it lays flatter than any other “wrap” I’ve tried. 4, it’s easy to remove at the end of the season for reel swaps. 5, it doesn’t come undone for years. 6, (and most importantly) it’s what I had on hand in the first place. And 7, the sticky side out first wrap holds my reel in place while I wrap the over wraps so the reel doesn’t shift and become off centered. It’s almost as if it was made for the application….

Some guys use zip-ties like on pre-assembled combos (although those are to deter theft in the store, they secure a reel on rather well) but they can become bulky/uncomfortable around the grip, IMO.

The heat shrink is a great idea but prolonged exposure to all that heat may start to interact with the glue binding the handle to the blank. I’d rather not risk it and I take my reels off at the end of each season. A permanent attachment though and heat shrink sounds like a winner if it doesn’t tear.

I don’t see any reason to stray from electrical tape though.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Oh boy…I honestly feel like this debate is worse than a Chevy/Ford debate…

Silicone self-fusing tape. No mess, no residue, no cork peeling, no indentations, no two layer approach and adds additional grip. You can get 36′ of the stuff on Amazon for less than $15. 36′ is enough to do about 40-45 rods…

Chevy all the way !! As a rod builder…..I agree with the Silicone self-fusing tape for all the same reasons as above ^^^^^

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good grief fellas, guy don’t want to use tape, who cares.

catnip
    south metro

What kind of fancy custom rod don’t come with a reel seat? Man you fellas got taken applause

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Who are you? The guy said to me when I said the tape ruin my handle “If you say so” like I was making it up. You should take your own advice instead of trying to give it Joe.

And someone did tell me to not take my reels off.

Grow UP!!!

PmB

It’s not rocket appliances. Use tape or order custom w reel seat

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Good grief fellas, guy don’t want to use tape, who cares.

It does seem reasonable that the guys have offered him options for using electrical tape that would remedy his primary complaint – damage to his cork. However this Richard has to demean everyone that has offered solutions to his problem with the electrical tape. He apparently doesn’t think that they have any experience or valuable knowledge to offer, because he clearly knows that there is only one way to apply the electrical tape to his rods, and this will damage it.

Or wait…maybe some guys have had the same problem that Obi-wan Richard is having. And maybe they’ve come up with viable solutions. But he’s apparently not interested in experience. He wants to specify which solutions are acceptable and effective.

milemark_714

Ordered my first TUCR. 36″ Precision Rod. What is everyone using to attach the reel to the rod. Electrical tape is out of the question.

If you plan on leaving the reel on,use the silicone tape.With me,I am always swapping reels off rods,so I use the rings.So far,no damage to cork grips.But most of my rods have a carbon tube handle,so the rings are a natural.Rings leave a slight indentation on cork,but no biggie in my book.

With my builds,I made handles with zero flex so no cracking has occurred.Cork cracking is due to blank flex,I use a stiffener in this section.Piece of an old carbon tube from scrap rod works wonders.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Read over and really nowhere the OP thought he knew it all and said over and over he’s simply not interested in the tape. Some people have there quirks, I’m a electric tape guy myself but when a dude says no thank you I’m not gonna post anyways on why he’s a dumba$$ for not listening to me.

Obi, good luck with your search.

Bassn Dan

If you say so….

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bassn Dan wrote:</div>
    As others have said, before you tape down the reel, put a base layer of electrical tape on the handle and LEAVE IT ON. The reason you’re damaging your handles is you keep peeling the tape off the cork………

Here are the quote’s since you’re a quoter and apparently a judge of character. I never made you reply to this topic also.

I’ll type this slowly for you.

“LEAVE IT ON” clearly means to leave the base layer of TAPE on, not the reel.

Comprehension problems much???

Hudson8907
    NULL

I like baling wire then a layer of duct tape and a little crazy glue. Just a little crazy glue goes a long way. It takes a little effort to get the reels off, but when you do you get to go buy a new rod.

404 ERROR
    MN

I like baling wire then a layer of duct tape and a little crazy glue. Just a little crazy glue goes a long way. It takes a little effort to get the reels off, but when you do you get to go buy a new rod.

I tried that once. A bluegill ripped the reel smooth off the rod, never again. Maybe I should try 9 wire next time…If it can keep a demo derby hood down, I think it’ll hold my reel on for at least a few panfish.

Everyone clearly needs a beer. Just don’t wrap your beer in electrical tape…

Jason

I recently tried out a custom rod with Eva foam and spinning reel. The builder turned grooves into the handle for the castration bands to sit into. It felt amazing in my hands and balanced great. The reel felt very secure with zero movement or wobble.

When I build my next rod, I’m going to try this and see how I like it. I have been using silicone tape with good success, mainly because I did not like the feel of the bands, but that was without the grooves cut into the handle.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The builder turned grooves into the handle for the castration bands to sit into.

Now that’s a slick idea! Thanks for sharing.

Tyler Warner

Put hockey tape on sticky side out where your electrical tape will touch. Damaged Cork problem solved.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Even if your handle has grooves, still won’t be smooth on the reel feet.

wormdunker

Thorne Bros turns tape or band grooves into their syncork, which by the way is the most amazing handle material.

broman

I agree with the dislike of electrical tape. I went to swap out a reel on a rod for another reel and it pulled off chunks of cork.

Just because it didn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen. There are reasons for needing/wanting to switch out a reel such as wanting to upgrade your reel or needing to replace a broken one.

Christian Slick

I agree with the dislike of electrical tape. I went to swap out a reel on a rod for another reel and it pulled off chunks of cork.

Just because it didn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen. There are reasons for needing/wanting to switch out a reel such as wanting to upgrade your reel or needing to replace a broken one.

It doesn’t happen to us because we apply tape properly, yes. Not meaning to sound hostile but several others have noted that they also swap reels out with no issue.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Use any method you would like but the reason people keep talking about this is there is confusion on “the correct” way to use electrical tape. Please see the video below. If you do it the way that’s shown you won’t wreck your cork. You can change reels anytime you’d like. Just leave the backer tape in place. Have a great day.

Correct way to use electrical tape

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>broman wrote:</div>

Use any method you would like but the reason people keep talking about this is there is confusion on “the correct” way to use electrical tape. Please see the video below. If you do it the way that’s shown you won’t wreck your cork. You can change reels anytime you’d like. Just leave the backer tape in place. Have a great day.

Correct way to use electrical tape

Amen.

Aaron Drier

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aaron Drier wrote:</div>

Self fusing silicone tape, same stuff as reel tape, just cheaper.[/quot

Where do you get it?

Sorry for the late reply, I usually hit up Amazon for it, just search for it, lots of colors and width options.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.