Custom Rod Reel attachment

• Obi-Wan

Ordered my first TUCR. 36″ Precision Rod. What is everyone using to attach the reel to the rod. Electrical tape is out of the question.

munchy
    NULL

Electrical tape is out of the question.

Why? That’s all I use and never had an issue.

Roy

On my bullwhip I put two wraps of coban on each side of the reel then electrical tape on top of that. The coban sticks to itself and the tape sticks to the coban. Your other option is reel bands, I wouldn’t put them on my Evo handle. I know many people do and have no issue, I just don’t care for them.

jld
    Holmen

I used bands for the last few years on my custom rods and just didn’t like the indentations they created in the handles. I have gone to painters tape and 3M Super 33 electrical tape. No issues whatsoever.

Obi-Wan

It ruins cork handles.

Aaron Drier

Self fusing silicone tape, same stuff as reel tape, just cheaper.

Obi-Wan

Self fusing silicone tape, same stuff as reel tape, just cheaper.[/quot

Where do you get it?

munchy
    NULL

It ruins cork handles.

If you say so….

Funny thing is, once that reel is installed how often do you remove the tape to inspect the cork? I’ve got rods that have had tape on them for years and only change the tape once the ends start coming loose. Never seen “ruined cork”. coffee

And if it leaves a little residue just take some sandpaper and clean up the surface. wave

jld
    Holmen

It ruins cork handles.

Never one issue with the painters tape sticking to the cork and ruining the handle. Cheap, quick and easy process.

Obi-Wan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Obi-Wan wrote:</div>
    It ruins cork handles.

If you say so….

Funny thing is, once that reel is installed how often do you remove the tape to inspect the cork? I’ve got rods that have had tape on them for years and only change the tape once the ends start coming loose. Never seen “ruined cork”. coffee

And if it leaves a little residue just take some sandpaper and clean up the surface. wave

Well, it’s ruined a couple rod handles of mine. I use the same reels on my pan fish rods in warm weather. So I do “say so”. Move on. Use the tape if you prefer it. I don’t need you to try and convince me to use it (if that’s what you’re trying to do). Been doing this for over 30 yrs. and was just curious if there was anything on the market I wasn’t aware of. Apparently there’s not. So I’ll use O-Rings.

Mark Spesard

Why don’t ice rods just have reel seats like open water rods? Seems like a lot of attachment issues would be solved with a reel seat?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Been doing this for over 30 yrs. and was just curious if there was anything on the market I wasn’t aware of. Apparently there’s not. So I’ll use O-Rings.

Self sealing silicone does not leave any residue so it is an alternative…..I use my reels summer and winter like you and have had no issues…

Christian Slick

interesting the hate on electrical tape. Either one layer of painters tape or electrical tape sticky-side out and you’ll never have an issue but to each is own.

Why don’t ice rods just have reel seats like open water rods? Seems like a lot of attachment issues would be solved with a reel seat?

Most do nowadays, basically more so the custom and high end ones do not. Reel seats add weight and another thing that can eventually break on you I think.

Bassn Dan

As others have said, before you tape down the reel, put a base layer of electrical tape on the handle and LEAVE IT ON. The reason you’re damaging your handles is you keep peeling the tape off the cork………

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

There are many options for reel seats that you can get when you order your rod. For me I don’t want a reel seat on my ice rod because I can than place the reel anywhere on the cork to balance the rod out. There are so many options for reel and they all weigh different. I love my inline reels and to get the rod to balance when I hold it with 1 finger I need to spin the reel a little counter clockwise on the handle from the guides. I attach my reels with friction tape. Friction tape has no adhesive and only sticks to itself.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

As others have said, before you tape down the reel, put a base layer of electrical tape on the handle and LEAVE IT ON. The reason you’re damaging your handles is you keep peeling the tape off the cork………

Exactly!! X2

So I’ll use O-Rings.

Nice way to wreck your cork handles you say you’re trying to protect.

Obi Wan
    Rule #1… when asking questions don’t act like you know it all. Hope this helps in life and with your cork issue dude.

curleytail

No need to get testy. If you use a wrap or 2 of painters masking tape, with electrical tape over that it will not damage your handles.

I used bands for a while too but also decided I don’t like the indentations the rings make.

Masking tape covered with electric tape is easy, cheap, and won’t damage anything.

404 ERROR
    MN

Oh boy…I honestly feel like this debate is worse than a Chevy/Ford debate…

Silicone self-fusing tape. No mess, no residue, no cork peeling, no indentations, no two layer approach and adds additional grip. You can get 36′ of the stuff on Amazon for less than $15. 36′ is enough to do about 40-45 rods…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Silicone self-fusing tape. No mess, no residue, no cork peeling, no indentations, no two layer approach and adds additional grip. You can get 36′ of the stuff on Amazon for less than $15. 36′ is enough to do about 40-45 rods…

I’ve used everything over the years, and this is my new favorite product. These guys make some amazing rods too, in my opinion.

https://www.dhcustomrods.com/product-page/dh-pro-wrap

The different types of wraps mentioned look like they would work well. Do they absorb water or fish stink at all? My reels stay on my rods year round, so I have no reason to take them off but I’m always open to new ideas.

Also do the wraps hold as tight as tape? Thanks guys

Ryan Wilson

How to use electrical tape without damaging ANY handle:

1. Wrap one layer of tape around the handle STICKY SIDE OUT. Place a layer of tape where both reel feet will be.

2. Line up reel with guides. Press the reel feet firmly against the sticky-side-out tape. The reel will stick enough to accurately apply the over wraps of tape.

3. After the reel is aligned properly, put two wraps of electrical tape around each reel foot and over the sticky-side-out tape.

4. The reel is now firmly attached and the handle is left undamaged.

The only way electrical tape damages handles is if you apply it incorrectly. I have a Bullwhip (eva) and two Precision Noodles (cork). The oldest rod being 3 years old and I’ve used nothing but electrical tape with awesome results. Learn how to attach the reel using tape and you’ll never go back. It’s super simple.

Now, if you want to damage handles, use castration bands….

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Just curious, for the OP, when you say that it ruins the cork handles on your rods. What are you meaning by ruined? Is it pulling up chunks of the cork? Or is it just sticky and gross? Sticky and gross can be cleaned up with Goo Gone or Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

404 ERROR
    MN

The different types of wraps mentioned look like they would work well. Do they absorb water or fish stink at all? My reels stay on my rods year round, so I have no reason to take them off but I’m always open to new ideas.

Also do the wraps hold as tight as tape? Thanks guys

They do not absorb water at all, they are 100% silicone. They also do not absorb fish stink. You can wrap this stuff seriously tight. It has a moderate amount of stretch, so it’s recommended to wrap them tight. If wrapped tight, there is almost no flex unless you’re fighting big fish. I have one of my Sturgeon rods setup with Silicone tape and it barely flexed this year while fighting fish. I did notice that if you develop a tear in the wrap (rare), that you need to replace it as the tear will not stop. I have a couple panfish rods on their third year with the same wrap and it’s holding up just fine. The tape is one-time use and will fuse to itself so tight that it needs to be removed in one big chunk.

The product was developed as a temporary water tight seal for broken or cracked plumbing pipes. It is also used as an alternative electrical tape now and can be found in both the tape and electrical section at Menards.

Obi-Wan

Thanks for the options on here. Shrink tube sounds like a great idea and can be used for other things as well.
    For the record, I absolutely don’t not think I “know it all”. I just don’t want to use the electrical tape option. Apparently, that offends users of it. It has taken chunks out of the handles of some of my rods. The residue, is not really the issue. Also, if I want to remove the reel that is my choice, isn’t it?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Also, if I want to remove the reel that is my choice, isn’t it?

100% your choice no one on here said you couldn’t. I think a lot of the guys that responded remove their reels as well.

I think when you started being snarky is where things went down hill…

So I do “say so”. Move on

So to recap the thread you have multiple options.

* Use electrical tape the correct way as stated above. Apply a layer of painters tape on the cork prior to the electrical tape. This will prevent damage to the cork.
    * Use the multiple different wraps that were recommended. I think I’ll try some of these at some point.
    * Use heat shrink. (In my experience the heat shrink looked great but the reel never felt secure. The reel would wiggle when I reeled in a fish.)
    * Use O-rings. (Again the reel never felt very secure when I tried this and the bands left indents on the cork. These issues do not bother some people and some people love the rings.)

Let us know what you decide to use and how it works for you. Actual trial and error feedback is always helpful to all. Good luck!

Obi-Wan

Who are you? The guy said to me when I said the tape ruin my handle “If you say so” like I was making it up. You should take your own advice instead of trying to give it Joe.

Obi-Wan

And someone did tell me to not take my reels off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.