Custom rod 1st timer

• Ryan Crane

Ok looking to get my first couple custom rods.
    Need some insight on a couple things.
    1.) I like fishing mainly crappie and pan fish with the occasional walleye and perch outing.
    Is a noodle style smart or should i go with something else? And why?

2.) What company and why?
    Not starting a war just want some facts. Looking at tucr or Thorne bros.

3.) length (thinking 28″)

BACKGROUND I will be using an otter lodge pro xt1200.
    Run and gun style (shack as home base till i find fish) then post up inside.

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES

RIPPIN’ LIPS SHAKIN’ HIPS
    TIGHT LINES

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ryan, Most here will send you to TUCR and they build a great rod, Thorn Bros builds great rods. I build a great rod but do it as a hobby and can save you a little $$. Drop me a email, and you can pick what you want. [email protected]
    Brian

JFan02

Ryan,

I think it all depends on how you fish too.

1. I don’t like the noodle rods because I tend to fish more by feel than by watching the bite on the rod tip. If you like fishing with a spring bobber then I think the noodle would make sense.

2. I have two Thorne Bros. rods. One is a perch sweetheart 30″ and the other in on a thorne bros. blank but homemade and is about 27″ I like them both but use the shorter for panfish with a BB 6061. The longer i have a sedona 500 on and have caught both eyes and perch on it and never missed a beat.

I also just picked up a DH customs perch pounder 32″ with an ABS handle. I can’t wait to get that out on the ice as the feel on it is amazing with the ABS handle. I have that paired with a Sedona 500 as well.

Call them all and talk to them. I have buddies that have rods from DH, TUCR and Thorne Bros and they like them all. If you are moving from nearly any rod available at Gander or Cabela’s you will see a big improvement with any of the customs!

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

Most will say TUCR on here for sure.
    I also fish crappie a lot and use tungsten or other heavy jigs. Because of that I chose TUCRs Bullwhip. Sensitive tip but a stronger backbone. I had a ultra light rod before and when I hooked into the decent size crappie the rod would bend to the handle. Wont have to deal with that anymore but also will not lose the sensitivity. I chose a 28″ because I like shorter rods but a lot of guys will say 30+ for hole hopping. I fish inside. TUCR are eager for your business which is nice when you are spending a lot of money on a rod.

TWick

My personal choice for panfish applications is the Thorne Bros tripwire rod. I’ve got a 32″ model, hands down the best panfish rod I’ve ever used. The tripwire is basically a built in spring bobber tied to the end of the rod, the more I panfish the more I realize how important that spring bobber is. The nice thing for me is the spring bobber isn’t removable or anything so a guy doesn’t have to worry about losing it.

Their panfish sweetheart rods are great too.

A lot of people like the tuned up rods and part of me thinks its just because the IDO guys use them… In my opinion if you stand back and look at the actions of those noodle rods (precision noodle, etc.) they don’t make a lot of sense to me. You’ve got a very stout shaft that immediately turns into a spring bobber… convert that into an open water rod and no one would use it. Everything we’ve been taught or have discovered about rod actions and the use of parabolic actions in rods has helped hook up/landing ratios skyrocket in recent years. There is almost no give to those rods once you hook up, you’re fighting it with the blank of the rod with no help from the tip. I understand that they are not supposed to be open water rods, but the basic principle is the same.

The only tuned up rod I’ve ever had was a noodle rod, and the few times I used it I lost 90% of the fish I hooked on it. I’d pick up the Thorne bros rods and land every crappie that bit after that. After two trips of that I put it back in my rod bag and never used it again.

A little long winded, but that’s my 2 cents on the panfish/perch side of things. I think the bottom line is before you buy a custom stick from anyone I’d recommend trying them out first. If you’ve got a buddy that’s got a tuned up/thorne bros stick Im sure he’d let you try it out and see how it feels.

Ryan Crane

I want to thank all of you for your input.
    Surprisingly open and fair not one sided.
    I will make my decision up at the expo after taking to the makers themselves.

Is a noodle worse or better for crappie than a standard rod?
    Was always taught use ul so you don’t Rip off their paper mouths.
    I set pretty aggressively so is that bad?

I can honestly say this a great page to ask questions.
    Great forum.

RIPPIN’ LIPS SHAKIN’ HIPS
    TIGHT LINES

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ryan,
    Just a suggestion for you. Instead of looking at which rod you should adapt to, go the other way. How do YOU fish, what presentations do YOU use, and which model rod adapts the best to You. Think about what characteristics would make a perfect rod in your opinion.
    Then talk to the guys at Thorn and TUCR and see which will produce a best match. I know guys that get a custom rod and are deeply regretting the purchase because it was bought for the wrong application. Each company builds very nice rods. Having confidence in the rod builder will extend out to having confidence in using the rod. But its critical to have the right expectations when making the purchase and having it fit your application.

TWick

I wouldn’t recommend a TUCR noodle for crappies, if you set hard a rod with more of a parabolic/softer bend would be better. Something that flexes down the majority of the rod, not just the tip.

Honestly those HT Ice blue rods are fantastic crappie rods. I am pretty partial to my thorne bros rods though, they’re the G Loomis of ice rods in my opinion. I think you’d be very pleased with a tripwire!

Good luck in your search, the way the weather is looking though we wont have much of an ice season haha!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Got to Thorne Bros website or youtube. They have a good series of videos that teach you about the different rods. I learned a few things about choosing setups that still hold true today.

X2 with Randy – How do you fish and what kind of presentations/lures do you like? The rod is meant to match to you and not the other way around. Then talk to Thorne, TUCR, etc.

Currently my custom count is at one rod. I went for the all arounder in a Perch Sweetheart(assuming a TUCR equivalent would be great). My go to rod for walleye/perch and is sensitive enough that it can substitute in a pinch for panfish. Got one for my buddy too and he’ll echo those sentiments.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Thorne Bros. sweatheart panfish rods hands down. Been using them at least 10 yrs.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I would contact one of the companies. Everyone has their own opinions on this.

For us the Noodle is the lightest more for detecting light bites, but this may not be the best option for you.

I would look at a Bullwhip or Precision rod. Both are more versatile.

Feel free to send me a message too.

Or best yet come to the St Paul show and check out everyone’s rods! All the builders will be there and have models to show.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.