• Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Late October. St. Croix River walleye fishing is going strong! We are catching many nice walleye (16 to 18 inches). Most of these fish have been males, and I think with the current warm trend and the fact that the water is still in the forties, real chance exists to get some hog walleyes very soon. These walleye are preying very heavily on shad right now, and gorging on them. On a side note I am seeing the shad to start to die off. Saugers are also on the chew and caught mixed in with the walleye. Jigging plastics and trolling three ways with cranks have been very successful in 25+ feet of water. The water temp is 46 degrees and this week the water level is scheduled to rise by a foot. The river is clear and low floating debris. Leaves are changing color and bright and beautiful.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Thanks Turk

Got to love this time of year but only if a guy can break away from work long enough to dust off the old fishin pole

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

plan on hitting it next week. weather looks decent. catching the walleye after my Packers take apart the purple will be sweet.

mud

I heard a hot tip that PURPLE was the color today. GREEN wasn’t workin’…….

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

SteveO,

Man that had to hurt to be thumped like that by your old favorite player. Lambeau is still Farve’s house!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

i embarrassed to say how much it cost for me and my wife to attend that game so I won’t.
    total humiliation. i bought a Harvin jersey today and I am on the purple bandwagon baby!

sfh450
    Hudson

The vikings are better with Brent than they were with out him. Good luck !

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mid November, Everywhere you go people comment on how great the weather has been. I must say it is even better floating down the river with a fishing pole in hand in the company of a water surface mirror reflecting the tree line back at you. Maybe this weather feels so darn nice in the boat because we have been really catching some nice walleye and sauger (not trying to make you guys in the office crazy, but it’s been good). Up until yesterdays trip saugers have been showing up in the landing net more often than the walleye. Yesterday we landed nearly all walleye and a few nice saugers, we had 12 total keepers in four hours. The walleye are from 16 to 19 inches and fat. The saugers are not much smaller. Small saugers, white bass, a stray sheephead now and then are all keeping things active, not seeing the BIG fish like last week though.
    How long this will last, I hope forever, but I know the cold is coming and the ice will too. The water temp is still 44 degrees. The river has fallen back to a half foot above normal levels and is 676.03. I am finding fish shallower than previous weeks and would say on the average they have came up a good five feet. Depths from 20 to 30 have been producing. Trolling crankbaits Rapala original floaters F7 F9, and Husky Jerks HJ8 and jigs with are minnows and plastics also are working. Keep catchin’

GOOD LUCK!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.