Big & Beautiful St Croix Channel Cats

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

What a beautiful night on the St Croix. I had one bullhead rod out in one of my favorite flathead spots and one cut bait rod out with a hunk of cut sheepshead. The weather was clear, warm and flat calm and the water temp was 76 degrees. At 2115 I get a screaming run on my bullhead rod and I hook up with what I thought was a smaller flathead. The bugs were bad so I didn’t want to use any lights so all I had on was my headlamp with the red filter down. He was a feisty fish and I struggled to get him in the net – he looked like about a 35″ flathead in the dark when I dumped him on the back deck of the boat. I got him untangled and out of the net and reached over to pick up the fish when I realized it is a big channel cat that is mad as heck to be in the boat. I had just finished a quick photo when I noticed my cut bait line is swimming upstream next to the boat. With this guy flopping around on the deck I picked up my other rod and it is a big, feisty, fat channel cat. I get him in the boat and decide to do a quick two fish photo and get them back in the water.

Two big channels in a row and the biggest measured out at 35″ X 20″ and the second at 32″ X 18″. I fished until midnight but that was it for the night but I am sure not complaining. It was a fun time. I’m out again tonight to see if I can find a big flathead

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Wow! That is so cool! Super awesome!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice job, Steve! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Steve – Great story and nice job on the double thanks for sharing

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Beautiful Croix channels indeed. Nice job Steve.

Ragerunner

Very cool pics for a unique situation. Keep them coming!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Steve, you should take me out just to make Brian mad.
    Can we be in by 10:00?

walleyerube
    Hudson, WI

Great fish! Can’t wait to get out and do some cat(ch)in’ myself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Steve, you should take me out

Steve won’t hold your fish either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.