Bayport area report Jan 26th

• Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

January 26th, 2009 Bayport area St. Croix River ice time crappie fishing has slowed down and after a good start to the season. The Crappie bite is now spotty with a decent day followed by a slow outing, the bite is hard to predict. The morning bite still appears to be the best though, from a half hour after sun up till 8:30, with an ok bite from 3:00 till sun down. Same techniques are catching crappies as earlier in the season, crappie minnow and bobber on a light wire hook or small jig. Space out your lines in terms of depth above bottom as these crappies suspend up to 18 feet of the bottom, though four to ten feet above bottom is common. Smaller crappie minnows are working better than the larger ones for numbers of caught crappies; minnow heads have been productive on jigs (for anglers actively jigging) instead of a whole minnow when the bite is slow. Crappies always roam the basin; this soft fluffy bottom covers the majority of the Bayport pool, and the majority of the basin is 33 to 36 fow, look for deeper spots in 40 feet of water to produce better (it is no coincidence that these are the places where the largest community shanty towns are). Also the shallower basin (the north part of the pool) in 26 to 30 feet can also be productive. Without a doubt these crappie roam and a mobile angler does better.
    Walleye and sauger catches remain fair, and a few being taken constitutes a good day (15” minimum size for walleye), Jigging Rap’s are a best bet to tangle with river walleyes and saug dogs (glow green tiger, clown, and rainbow trout colors in sizes W3, W5, and W7) either tipped with a minnow head or plain.
    Trucks have been driving on the ice for weeks now. Please be aware that there is open water on the river. Because of currents and historically anglers do not go there, I would not drive within a mile of the train bridge (swing bridge) near Hudson or the Stillwater lift bridge. The NSP plant also has a warm water discharge. The Malileau Dam also flows into the Bayport pool. Learn the river in the day and stay on the beaten path until you are experienced enough to trail blaze. Keep Catchin’ Turk

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Please be aware that there is open water on the river. Because of currents and historically anglers do not go there, I would not drive within a mile of the train bridge (swing bridge) near Hudson or the Stillwater lift bridge. The NSP plant also has a warm water discharge. The Malileau Dam also flows into the Bayport pool. Learn the river in the day and stay on the beaten path until you are experienced enough to trail blaze. Keep Catchin’ Turk

Great advice, Turk. Sounds like the trucks have been going down out on Pepin more often than bobbers on a hot bite. Thankfully nobody has been hurt… to my knowledge.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Great report. Thanks for the advice. Who drives within a mile of the swing bridge ? There is a spring on the MN side down there that I noticed somebody drove rite over, they really got lucky. I made my way down there after drilling 100+ holes. The ice IS NOT consistent so I do not advice you make poor decisions like me.

I just got my first walleye bite (over a mile away from the swing bridge) of this ice season with a 18 3/4 incher iced and plan to make a full post after I’m sure I have targeted a pattern

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

with a 18 3/4 incher iced and plan to make a full post after I’m sure I have targeted a pattern

JJ,

Wise man, I think those who doubt or scrutinize their “pattern” or their idea of what worked and why, do over time catch more fish versus an angler that is quick to judgement. I believe in the old statement “there is more than meets the eye”. I have always believed catching fish is the correct combination of many factors.

Good job on the walleye!
    Turk

sivee
    Hudson,Wi. Locked out/ Croix

ThAT’s why you don’t SEE many in that area, very incosistant ice!!
    Most go down there because they see others there,very risky fishing!Be careful JJ

eye_hunter

well I wanna come out to bayport sometimes, I heard from a friend that the crappie where biting ok, than the bite bass came in and kicked them out. well wether that is true or not my dad wanted to fish for white bass. just wondering if you guys are catching them there at all.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I have not heard much about white bass, other than a few mixed in with crappies. Sorry no more than that. Turk

has
    Hudson, WI

We caught a few mixed in with the Crappies we were catching last weekend. And they were Huge! Legit 3lbers full of eggs! Caught them on Clown #5 Jigging raps in 34 ft of water. Crappies are starting to bite a little better. Come on warm weather.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How many inches were those big ones?

has
    Hudson, WI

The silver? Never messured. I’d say 18″ and fat as heck!! I’ve been in pursuit of the State Record for a couple years now. This would be a good time to get it!!

Crappies- Biggest was a 14.5 Black Crappie.

eye_hunter

they do bite in the area right, I’m not interested in the crappies when I see them. I’ll glady trade my crappies for silver anyday.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

they do bite in the area right, I’m not interested in the crappies when I see them. I’ll glady trade my crappies for silver anyday.

Silver? White Bass?

sfh450
    Hudson

The true name is white bass. Local slang call them silvers.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

The true name is white bass. Local slang call them silvers.

I know…We call them Silver Bass,But I can’t beleive anyone would trade crappie for Silver Bass!

eye_hunter

hey I seriously would trade crappie for silver anyday. let me know if you want to trade if you see me there saturday. i’ll be in the gray dodge ram.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

i’ll be in the gray dodge ram.

You and 10 other guys

How’d you do?

eye_hunter

Quote:

Quote:

i’ll be in the gray dodge ram.

You and 10 other guys

How’d you do?

exactly…

anyways I was out there before sunrise to after sun set. the fish came by and looked at me and told me I was stupid for trying to catch them. they even somehow could sense my flasher and swam away everytime i marked them in a new hole. and they never swam by if the flasher was down. frustrating as it is I manage to catch 2 crappie, pigs but were sent down the hole again to live another day. not enough to make a meal…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.