St. Croix last weekend

• PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Fished the Bayport area last Sat. Great day to be on the water. Concentrated on smallmouth and crappies and did pretty well. We got eleven nice smallmouth and the same number of crappies. Most of the smallies were 16-18″, plus one 20 5/8″ hog that my partner caught. Some of the crappies were those dandy 12-13″ fish. Also got a couple decent 17-19″ walleye. Most fish were caught on a standard jig and fathead presentation in 15-17′.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Good day. What was the water temprature?
    Jack

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Any particular jig weight or color? Were you working mono or superline?

PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Water temp was 45. I was using 1/4 fireball jigs and Powerpro. We caught roughly equal numbers on gold and chartreuse, with a few on orange.

The fish all came from the same area, but they came in spurts. We would go an hour without a bite and be almost ready to leave when we would get several in quick succession, including several doubles. I’m not sure how to explain that.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Ive seen that pattern many times in the fall and always wondered about it myself… Im not sure if they are constantly moving, responding to angling pressure, or following bait…. (or NONE of the above!)…. thats the beauty of fishing… we think.. they DONT…. so often we make it harder than it really is… but its a fascination that Ive always loved…. I cant count how many times I could see whats going on down there as if it was a giant fishbowl….

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

New pic rivereyes????

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks for the insight PaulV!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yep… new pic… at least ECNOOK is fishing for a few days.. so my pic will PROBABLY stay the same! for a bit anyway! I was going to go down and meet them down there… but intentions and time did not seem to match up!

JBUSCH
    Hastings,MN

I have been finding the same pattern just south of afton.
    You can bounce your jig around for half an hour with nothing
    touching it and five minutes later there is a handfull of crappie in the livewell.I figured it was active schools of fish pushing into the minnows feeding.Most spurts of fish have been the same species at a time at the same size with a few odd ones here and there.Thats what I like about the Croix you can catch anything at any given moment on one rig.
    ?Any word on the kinni Spent the last week in a tree with the bow but will be back out on the water this weekend

Thanks for an update

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Hi Paul, You and Chris did a good job on those Smallies and crappies last weekend. Chris is going to send me a pic, and I’ll try and get it down to the right file size to be able to throw it on here. hope you deer weekend was successful.
    talk to you in a day or so. Jack.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.