The Zodiak

• CroixNymph

Anyone have a clue what the deal was with that big Zodiak going up and down the river all day on Friday and Saturday?

sand_pike

nope, but i saw it about a dozen times, annoying

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

The drivers are the “go to” mechanics for those Coast Guard boats. They give their boats a thorough and I mean thorough test drive before they call the customer.
    Turk

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

That guy needs to learn some boater etiquette! We got buzzed by him 1/2 doz times while anchored sturgeon fishing yesterday……well within range of my paintball gun

eyeguide
    Prior Lake

He buzzed us a couple times while were trolling for the River Rat! Just wanted to ask him if he knows how much water he was missing out on! It’s a big River!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Couldn’t you guys be calling the sheriff on these folks? Seems after writing a few tickets, the word will travel amoungst the pleasure boats to have some respect.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Probably, it was just more odd than anything….he would never make eye contact or wave at anybody. We were joking one of the times he buzzed us that it was just a robot.
    Its a pretty damn cool boat though. Probably 20ft zodiak style boat with aluminum bottom and rubber sides. And a v8 inboard motor….

walleyerube
    Hudson, WI

Mark,
    Thanks for the great time fishing for the elusive sturgeon. I sure had a blast bringing in the few I could. You schooled me pretty well

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Hey John, The sturgeon marathon was a blast, Never left the couch all day sunday
    Glad you finally signed up on IDO, lets get out and fish them again before seasons end.

walleyerube
    Hudson, WI

Definitely – let me know when you want to head out again! Sunday was a pretty low key day for me too.

mike t
    St Paul, MN

here’s the skinny on the Zodiak and an update on my fall action.

The boat belongs to Konrad Marine in Hudson, they make drive units for the Navy among other large boat operators and such. They are testing a new 2 prop drive on a 500hp YanMar diesel engine. All the running is simply hours on the unit to determine wear etc. The rig is an actual navy 9m RIB (rigid inflatable) and is normally in action in the port of yemen, panama canal etc…

Call the cops, really? because someone is boating all day? How about the last minute idiots who it seems at this time of the year lose their courtesy and throw a 4 footer upside from 50ft away…..

My fall has been very good, the sturgeon bite could get more consistent overall, but I’m up to about 35 for the boat with 2 legals and one superfreak that was 54×28, all of 50lbs and maybe more….if I can figure out the photo thing I’ll add a couple shots…

off to hayward this weekend for muskies on the Fly Rod!

mike t
    St Paul, MN

here’s one of the freak.

BemmaB363
    Oakdale, MN

Now that’s just awesome!

walleyerube
    Hudson, WI

Wow! I can’t wait to meet one of those in person someday. Great catch!

stick-n-move

Quote:

Wow! I can’t wait to meet one of those in person someday. Great catch!

kraigklund
    Hudson, WI

Big Pike Mike, I’ll say thats a Freak in that picture. And the fish is pretty big too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.