St Croix Report – 14 Oct

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Fished the Stillwater – Bayport area from 4:00pm to 7:00pm. Was very windy until about sundown, main channel was white caps and we got wet running across the river. Air temp about 59, water temp 58. Started out trolling shad raps in about 10 – 15 feet of water on windy shore. Picked up 1 sauger (14″), 3 nice white bass. At dusk, we picked up two jumbo smallies (both 19″)throwing Husky Jerks shallow. Here is a picture of one of the smallies:

dustytoms

In the area you fished is there a launch site that you would recomend over others ? I am hooked on the river after joining this site .Tryed a number of spots that have been recomened ,but only had a good time with fare to poor results for fish .
    Any suggestions as to improve my record in finding the walleyes ?
    Is this the time of year that is refered to the Fall Bite ? or will it get better as the fall goes on ?
    Thanks
    dustytoms

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hello DustyToms – I fish the Stillwater – Bayport area because it is only a few minutes from my house and I can get out fishing on the spur of the moment if I want. I launch out of Beachhouse Marina in Bayport, they have a great launch site that is well lit if you come off after dark. I buy the seasonal pass which is $120 but you can pay a daily launch fee too. The daily launch fee is $8 for a fishing boat under 18′. To get to Beachhouse Marina, turn east at Woody’s Bar & Grill on 3rd Street, it will take you right to the river and the marina. From Bayport you can reach the Hudson Narrows or up around Stillwater for some pretty decent fishing spots. Right now finding the baitfish seems to be the key. Work the points on both the Wisconsin and Minnesota shores. Watch the gulls and start from there, search the area and your locator will show schools of shad. Troll the vicinity in 6′ to 12′ with Shad Raps which fairly closely replicate the shad minnows to locate the fish.

The fishing has been pretty good lately and I think the fall bite is just starting. I’ve been picking up nice saugers and a few legal walleyes most every trip. The white bass have been very active the last week and make for a lot of fun. The smallmouth are really on right now – they just about hammer anything thrown at them. I think the fishing will get even better right up until ice time.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Awesome catch on the smallies Commanchero! Maybe I’ll squeak out Sunday afternoon and give ’em a go! Are you finding the smallies scattered but close to shore or along rip rap? Drops? Flats near drops? Color HJ?

dustytoms

Good info. Thanks, Weather looks like it might warm this weekend , Time permitting I will give it a try . I will concentrate on finding the bait fish.
    dustytoms

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.