St Croix Summertime Catfish Bite is on!!

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

The St Croix is at it’s summertime levels (675.4′) and the water temp is 78-80 degrees and the catfish seem to have finished up with their spawning and are hungry. Outdoors4Life has a great post showing some good channel cat action. StCroixer had a good night drifting for channels on Monday and hopefully he will make a report with some pictures.

It looks like the St Croix summertime catfish season is set to go.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday evening chasing flatheads and had good success both nights. Tuesday I missed a nice fish at 10:41 after a heated 5 minute struggle. At 11:15 I caught a 32″ flathead that went about 15 pounds. I was pumped by finally getting into some flathead action so I stayed out until 1:30am but didn’t have any other runs for the night. It was a fun night even though the Twins lost a tough game to Detroit 1-0.

Wednesday night I headed out again and tried out a new spot that I have been wanting to fish. The Twins game was driving me nuts and I was yelling at the radio in the bottom of the ninth inning when my clicker went into a screaming run. I hooked into a nice fish and missed the end of the game (they lost so I didn’t miss much). I boated a nice 39″ flathead about 26 pounds. All the flatheads were caught on bullheads.

It looks like the St Croix flathead and channel cats are ready for some action. Let the games begin.

Here is a picture of the Tuesday night flathead.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Here is a picture of the Wednesday night fish.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Nice report and fish Steve
    I gotta get out and fish for some kitties soon!! Where are you getting the bullheads?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice looking fish you found there Steve

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Mark – I’ve found a couple of small ponds that have bullheads in them. I keep a 100 gallon stock tank rigged up with an large aquarium filter and aerators and try to keep about 50 – 75 bullheads on hand. When my stock gets low I run out and catch a bunch of bullheads with hook and line. As a matter of fact I will need to make a restocking run this weekend. I usually go through 8 – 10 bullheads on each flathead trip.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice fish and report Steve!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Quote:

Mark – I’ve found a couple of small ponds that have bullheads in them. I keep a 100 gallon stock tank rigged up with an large aquarium filter and aerators and try to keep about 50 – 75 bullheads on hand. When my stock gets low I run out and catch a bunch of bullheads with hook and line. As a matter of fact I will need to make a restocking run this weekend. I usually go through 8 – 10 bullheads on each flathead trip.

I normally get mine from that red cooler in BrianK’s garage, but the last few times that I snuck in there it was empty???
    …..Any idea which bait shop carries them?

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Great report, Steve. See you out there.

Jon

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Steve- i haven’t seen you at Jimmy’s in awhile to buy suckers….now i know why

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.