‘Croix Cats Question

• kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

This post is going to be a little last minute, but a buddy and I want to try some cat fishin tonight (6/22) on the St. Croix and were wondering if any of you vets out there had any sugggestions as to location and/or technique. I personally have never gone out to specifically target only catfish so don’t know exactly how to do it, but last night while fishin the croix we picked up 2 cats about 6 and 8lbs each so we kind of have the itch to try for more tonight. Any suggestions would be great. If you don’t want to leave a message on here for the whole world to see just send me a PM. thanks all.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I would suggest the area that you caught your other cats wuld be a good place to start. Using fresh cut bait(suckers/shad/sunfish if your a WI resident) off any structure holding some bait fish is a good place to start. Quite often, places known to hold walleyes are good bets for channel cats. Major structures in the lake area of the iver can be good producers, or traditional structures upstream of stillwater on the smller part of the river can also put out a few fish.

If your targeting channel cats, you should know if any fish are using the area within about 20 minutes of putting baits down. Drifting can also be very productive.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

BFD2100 asked the same question on the Catfish & Sturgeon Forum. Here is the link to his post:

Catfishing the St Croix?

You may find this information useful. Good Luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.