St. Croix ideas

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

This Friday I am taking a retired guy from my church and his son out on the St. Croix for a “guided” trip. I think that just means I’m the one bringing lunch. I’ve only been on the river once in my life, but they wanted to go there. I’ve been reading up on the posts to see what has been working and where to go, but I would certainly appreciate any other insights you could pass along.

I live 2 hours away so I won’t really have the chance to scout. I plan to go out of Bayport and begin the foray up by Stillwater. We’re targeting walleyes (but probably catching sheepies)and will be practicing C & R. If anyone has spots they could recommend for me to try to put these guys on fish I would appreciate it. Theses guys don’t fish much, so I’m just looking to put them on fish to show them a good time.

Thanks.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

The Wisconsin side from the bridge down to Highline point has all kinds of points, humps, and drops that you can rig. The structure right around Highline is worth spending some time around, good rocks and plenty of breaks. In the summer we troll the whole stretch with cranks, silver Hot n Tots or white Shad Raps get the nod, anywhere from 10-18 feet of water. That said, in the spring shiner and a jig, or shiner on lindy rig might be really good. We have also had some succes pulling crawlers on spinner harnesses either three way or bottom bouncer. When you find a point, work the whole thing, both sides out into the main channel. You can catch walleye, sheepies, smallmouth, crappie, catfish, and gar.

Good luck.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Thanks for the info…Highline Point was actually going to be my first destination. I had some success there my previous trip the St. Croix.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Hit Highline Point on Friday…picked up a couple shorties and a bunch of smallies…the biggest being 18.5 inches. Got into a bunch of eyes in the channel between the railroad bridge and 94 bridge. Leeches and crawlers produced either on jigs or rigs. The biggest measured about 21″. It was a great day…with only a little sunburn!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.