Muskies

• has
    Hudson, WI

Well the muskie fishing has been spuratic a times, as of late. Monday night we hit the water around 7pm till 9pm. We landed 3 muskies and saw 4 others. These fish weren’t the biggest of the year. Two were 38″ and one was 35″. But aleast it was some good action. Tried last night for awhile and didn’t see anything, so we packed it up early. Fish are coming on a variety of baits from topwater to bucktails. Should have pics of the 45″, 46″ and 44″ somtime this week.
    Good Luck,
    Erik Haslund

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Eric! What about the picture of the sheepie! That picture should be on that roll too!?

Sorry, I’m just jelous because I still have my cold and can’t get out.

By the way, that reef runner is working well. I snuck out for an hour the other night while my wife was gone. Nail a nice crappie with it!

Thanks for the tip!

mike t
    St Paul, MN

There’s ben some keys for me to staying on muskies this year, and it’s been to be mobile. I’ve spent far more time exploring new spots this year than I have competing for the same spots/fish in the couple well known hangouts. I’ve seen fish in well over 10 spots from prescott to stillwater and developed a nice “milk run” of spots to hit along the way. I have cast to fish this year that I KNOW have not seen muskie baits. The result of all this runing has been fish, virtually every trip out. Not always the big feller’s like Eric says, but the shorter fish are a good indicator of being on the right track. The next piece of the puzzle is where are the big gals? I’ll be doing a lot more deep break trolling with 10″ plus baits in the next few weeks to find them.

As for a quick weekly recap/report. Last thursday Pete M came down for the afternoon. Managed to see a bunch and raised a 45’ish inch fish and landed a couple pike and smaller ski’s. I tend not to not to fish weekend’s but we did get out sunday night and saw some fish as well, lended 2 shorts, tuesday night was a first for me, I went 2 for 2. 2 fish on consecutive casts, coulda been a 4 for 4, had I connected with the others. Last night was excellent as well, had a 40ish fish on, up to the boat and shook the spinner bait. We had 3 other substantial follow’s or blow ups, in fact one larger fish just bum-rushed my bait @ about a 30 degree angle and completely missed it. The important thing there is all these fish came on the “milk run” and were all in new water. What’s been working? A little of everthing, I’ve had luck on spinner baits, some bucktails, and mostly topwater hell we even dragged suckers one day but no luck. I’ve attached a 44.5 caught a couple weeks ago. Also been getting some really big pike. Check out the pic on the “pool 4 muskie” post in MIss general.

mike t
    St Paul, MN

try the pic again

mike t
    St Paul, MN

Notice the secret weapon, my specially bred “muskie pointer” black lab LC!

bog

Nice fish Mike. I know what you mean about the weekend fish. We were out there 5am sat. morning and the community spots were being hit hard. Mostly by our own compadres so that made it easier to take. Hooked up with 2 fish in the mid 30’s but couldn’t seal the deal. Nobody was having much luck. Hopefully I’ll get out one night next week when the river is more vacant. Keep on Chunkin’ Bogues de’ Bogues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.