Weekend Report

• has
    Hudson, WI

Fished Friday afternoon with a buddy of mine and we scapped together 9 legals and quit around 7pm. These fish were caught trolling and Riggin. These fish moved out deeper in 15-24ft, due to the strong storms we had in the morning. Saturday, the fish recovered and were back up in the 10-16ft range, but we didn’t get as many legals, and called it early to watch the WILD. And for Sunday all I can say is WINDY . This made Riggin really tough, so trolling was my only option. We trolled Hudson channel for the day and caught lots of saugers and walleye with only a couple legals. I talked with one guy who mananged to trick one 25incher in to hitting. As for me the biggest i’ve got on the Croix is 23inches this year. But soon these bigger fish will be hitting and i’ll keep ya all posted on there progress in the weeks to come.
    Good Luck,
    Erik Haslund
    St.Croix Area Guide Service
    http://www.stcroixadventures.com

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The osceola strech of the river was dead on saturday. High water and lots of debre made for tough trolling. Talked to a few others that where haveing the same luck as me. It can only get better from here.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Went out for a couple hours Sunday. I had to be back to take MOM to the Dairy Queen!

HAS put us right on top of some good fish. (Thanks Eric!) We kept a 17 and a 19. Release a 21.5 and a 23.5 many short ones and a few sheepies kept the action going. Then about 6:30 the lights went out and the fish went to bed. Very few hits after that.

Looks like the water is still rising.

fritzzz
    hudson

fished for a few hours this afternoon in the hudson channel… the wind was wippin through there real nice…caught two legals and 15-20 14 inchers…at least i got a couple for the pan..

the water has risen a couple feet since yesterday..

fritzzz

it’s all HAM sandwiches for lunch this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

look for that water to skyrocket… over the last several days we got more than 5 inches of rain up here….. enough to raise the river around 5′ by my guess… maybe more…. Im going to guess near flood conditions might erupt….. guess I will be switchin over to fishing lakes around here for a while….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Rivereyes, I was going to post that question.

Sunday, the Croix in the Afton area was up about 2 to 3 feet. I was thinking that I would be luck to get anything to bite, but to my surprise. The short bite was the same that it’s been and we caught more legals than normal (lately).

Do the eyes normally shut down in high water, or are you talking about the river having a no wake rule/no boating until the water gets back to “normal”?

Thanks, Brian

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

RE, don’t be so quick to fish lakes. I have consistently seen better fishing during high to flood water on the Croix.
    I actually wish for high water.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I agree with you. Even though I had a slow trip over the weekend I am happy to see the high water. A few days to clear it up and let the fish get used to it and the bight should be on again. I always thought if they are not bitting they must be getting hungry. Hope I have time to get them when that happens.

thor
    Hudson WI

I look thru my croix notebook and have had some great times with high water, dont see any reason to change. had a pretty good day sat, alot of 14.5 inchers, just couldnt seem to s t r e t c h them enough to say i released keepers!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.