Hudson to Stillwater

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Looking for any suggestions for the Croix between Hudson and Stillwater… I’ve really only fished the Croix south of Hudson this summer and am thinking about trying the area north… I assume the keys are Anderson Point, the power plant, the WI side across from Anderson, and the Stillwater bridge area?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I know some of you are shopping for shortcuts to fishing the St Croix but sometimes the best way to learn the river is to fish it. I moved to Stillwater in 1977 and have primarily fished the river that entire time (29 years) and I am still learning things each time I go out. You have the right approach by breaking the stretch into key areas. One other thing to consider is when to fish each key area. Some spots are a little more sheltered and can be fished during windy days or when there is a lot of boat traffic. The Hudson Swing Bridge area is a good example – it is a No Wake Zone so the cruiser traffic should not run you off and it provides good fishing for a wide variety of species. Andersen Bay is another example – it is a No Wake Zone and is sheltered from the wind a lot of the time unless you get a strong south wind. That entire stretch from Hudson to Stillwater is some great water, easily accessible to a lot of metro area anglers and has good fishing. I don’t want to give up specific fishing spots on the web site because I have learned there will be 5 boats sitting in it the next time I go there. My advice is to get out and fish the area and do some systematic searching. I keep a journal of each trip and can tell you exactly what I caught, when I caught it, and what was working under specific conditions (water levels, water temps, weather conditions, etc.). I am anal as heck but you would be surprised how often I pull out my journal looking to match the conditions today to something that worked in the past. If you are really looking for shortcuts, hire a good experienced guide who fishes that stretch of water. One afternoon with someone like Turk might increase your fishing knowledge considerably. If you are in a hurry to improve your fishing skills hiring a good guide is money well spent.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good post C15!

I live in the valley for about 10 or so years… went out with the Turkster and came home with my jaw trailing behind me. There is SO many obvious and subtle pieces that a (good) guide can show a person, but are over looked that it’s amazing.

PS I’m not tooting Turks horn as his record speaks for it’s self.

brianrock1
    Minnesota

Comanchero

Thats some great information you gave us. I have to say, it sounds like the same exact log as I use as far as details for each time I go to a certain spot. Use a log, its the best way to learn the river. Write all the details of that day and what took place to catch that fish. Depth, color, speed,location,weather, time of day, whatever you think was important and the next time you go out to that same spot give it a try again. I also think its smart idea if you have never fished the river and you want to get educated fast, hire a guide like Turk. The leasons that you can learn in one day will make a big difference in your fishing experience. I think once you learn the river you will be hooked. The river is a great fishery. Learn it and enjoy it.

P.S Buy a St. Croix Fishing Hot Spot map and work some of those locations. Thats a great start.

Good job Comanchero

Brian

Have a good fishing day !!!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks, all, for the feedback… I wasn’t necessarily looking for exact spots or techniques, just general comments as to the patterns north of Hudson.

I decided this spring to focus my learning curve on the Hudson-to-Afton stretch and a bit around the Kinni. I have been logging my experiences as you all suggested. As this is only my second year on the Croix and as I haven’t made it out there too many times this year (maybe twice a month), my log is still pretty sparse. So far, I have more ‘bad days’ in my log than ‘good days’. The optimist in me tells me that the info collected on bad days is just as useful as that collected on good days. Given the rate at which I get out there, it will take quite a while to develop solid patterns.

I fully agree with your recommendations to hire a good guide for the Croix. For me, however, I’m still spending my fishing money on buying equipment and books/maps/magazines (nothing special, just the basics). My plan is that I’ll hire a guide in the spring, in the summer, and in the fall so that I’ll cover the three main ‘seasons’.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.