Smallmouth

• lukeb
    Lakeland, Minnesota

You’ll have to excuse me, this is my first post, thus nothing fancy. I’m looking for a little guidance from all of you seasoned St. Croix veterans. I’m specifically looking for help finding some smallies on the Croix. It’s my first season on the river. I’ve had some success, last weekend was a great outing for my wife and I, but I have only found a few ‘spots’. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

welcome lukeb…as im a newer member myself i can tell you this is a great site…friendly and helpful people…sorry cant give you any good locations on the croix but if your lookn at hitting the upper mississippi ill add my 2 cents…welcome…jay

shayla

Not to worry, this is the time of year when a “few spots” is all a guy needs. As the water temperature drops, those smallies will bunch-up on fewer key spots. If you are finding a few, there are probably quite a few more not too far away! Just work the area over with some noisy hardware to pluck the aggressive biters, then downsize the offering to smaller hair-jigs or plastic tubes fished slowly. Check out some of the upper Mississippi smallie reports of Steve Dezurik or AlvinMack and you will get some good info on where to try and what to do….if you had a good weekend last weekend you are probably pretty close to being in the “right spot”!

lukeb
    Lakeland, Minnesota

Thank you for the warm welcome Jay. I do travel to St. Cloud quite often for work, but I never have the boat with me of course. If I ever get the chance to check out the fishing up there, I certainly could use your help. Thanks again.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey Lukeb – send me a PM and tell me where you launch out of and which section of river you normally fish. I might be able to help you with a few spots.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

lukeb,
    Welcome to IDA, this site has much to offer.
    Post as often as you wish.
    good luck, don’t forget your camera, we love pics.
    Jack..

lukeb
    Lakeland, Minnesota

Slipsinker, Last weekend was a strange outing for me to say the least. We were fishing along riprap in about 8-12 feet of water with limited success. We decided to venture ‘around the corner’ as I saw some baitfish activity on the surface. That’s when things literally exploded. We were hooking up with smallmouth and only smallmouth in about 2ft of water, plowing sand with deep divers. It seemed to defy logic as it was 11am in full sun. Whether it made sense to me or not, we had a great time. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time I suppose.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.