St. Croix no wake restrictions

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

I understand that at 683 feet no wake restrictions go into effect on the St. Croix. Is that for the entire body of water or is that for certain areas only?

HOpefully it won’t be an issue, but it would be good to know.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Whenever the water level reaches 683 feet, mean sea level, as measured at the Stillwater guage boaters should be aware that there is a Slow – now wake rule in effect along the entire Lower St Croix National Scencic Riverway. This means from Taylor Falls to Prescott, Wisconsin.

A Slow – no wake zone is where motorboat operation is restricted to “the slowest possible speed necessary to maintain steerage”.

This is the URL that provides the Boating Rules for the Lower St Croix National Scenic Riverway I would recommend printing out this brochure and keeping it in your boat. Boating Rules for the St Croix River

Few people actually understand the St Croix boating rules – the enforcement is done by the National Park Service, Wisconsin and Minnesota DNRs, and the Wisconsin and Minnesota county sheriff departments with borders on the river. Enforcement of the boating rules picks up considerably after Memorial Day. The fines can be pretty hefty. It is worth the effort to know and follow the St Croix boating rules.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Comanchero15 – Good info regarding the rules on the Croix. The Coast Guard is another group that can be added to river law enforcement.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

On the evening of the 9th of May, I was fishing a backwater up by the High Bridge north of Stillwater. I watched 5 different boats cruise right under the High Bridge and head upstream in violation of the upstream restriction due to zebra mussel. A little later, here come a personal watercraft buzzing up the narrow backwater I’m fishing. I flagged him down and he did an about face and headed back out. Since 1999, the use of personal watercraft has been prohibited by the National Park Service north of the MN DNR Boomsite Access – at approximately River Mile 24.8.

Most of these people just don’t know the rules and they will get a rude awakening when the enforcement folks hit the river in earnest, usually about Memorial Weekend. I’ve watch them write up a lot of tickets for a lot of different boating violations and the fines are pricey.

Some folks don’t like all the rules but the issue is really about safety. From the high bridge down the boat traffic is unbelievable, especially on weekends. The rules help maintain some semblance of order.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Thanks for the good info. I’ve printed off that brochure and will have it with me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.