Anyone been out?

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I will be checking Prescott out today to see how the ice is. I know people are fishing in Bayport, haven’t heard much, might have to try it out myself. Turk, fishing the river in the winter has to be dramatically different than in the summer. Would you care to divulge any info a novice ice angler as myself could use to find fish in the croix during the winter months?

Jami

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Jami,

I’ll say it is different. Sure I can help, what fish are you looking to target? Saugers? craps? sunnies or the walldad?

Turk

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sunnies!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

BK,

All the sunnie places I know are near downed wood. The problem with that is there isn’t a lot of it, and since we have little to no weedline sunnies are hard to come bye on El Croix. I have tried the Bayport Bay before with limited success, I never gave it a fair shake though. I think others here have fished that area?

Saugs are biting OK just off the structure on the transition zones between hard and soft bottoms on points and reefs, this is worth a good shot. I’ve been doing this lately.

Keep Catchin’
    Turk

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for the input. I have ideas as to where I’m going to target, now I just have to get out there. I’ll keep everyone informed on my findings.

Jami

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Turk, I’ve never ventured back in there because I heard there were springs…which means my feet turn to mush…

Any truth to this?

Maybe I should stick with thick(er) ice walladadbies?? Maybe I should just get out!!

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

I’ve been going out on the river for the past couple of days and it has been pretty slow as it usually seems to be whenever i try and fish the river. Caught a few nice sized crappies over three days but nothing to brag about. Caught quite a few small silvers as well. The warmer weather a couple of days ago sure made for some soupy stuff to walk around in.

-KingCabelas

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I ventured down on the croix on saturday and the ice didn’t look good at all. Heck, I didn’t even let the dog go out on the ice.

The holidays are over, bring on spring!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.