WOW what a day on the Croix

• corey_waller
    hastings mn

Well monday was it, the only day I had to go fishing for the next 2 weeks as we have a sale at work coming up. So we decided to try for some walleyes on the Croix and in Prescott. We were catching some small walleyes and a few smallies decided to bite our DT6’s as well. We were having a great day of fishing our total for the day was 10 walleyes and 17 bass so we were very happy. At around 1 in the afternoon the cloudes were moving in and we decided to only give it about 1 more hour and leave befor the rain hit. As we worked up the shoreline moving against the current we were trying to keep our baits in the 6to 10 foot range when all of a sudden BAM, I set the hook and all I could do was yell “HOLY CRAP GET THE NET” Mike sprang into action with the look of “what the heck do you have on now”. I pulled then the fish pulled the see-saw battle went on for about 5min when….. The biggest muskie I have ever laid eyes on came out of the water 20 feet from the boat. All I could think of was the line from JAWS 2 “we are gonna need a bigger boat” I meen I have caught only 1 muskie in my life befor and that was only about 2 pounds. I did the fishermans square dance around the boat 3 times chasing this torpedo thinking the whole time, take it easy,keep her out of the motor,give her line when she runs,OH CRAP KEEP HER OUT OF THE MOTOR, when finally I had her boat side and I said to Mike “we are only going to get one chance dont miss with the net” AND he missed!!!! so I continued with the square dance for a few more minutes untill I had her boatside again and this time BINGO in the net she went. she was 40 inches even and what a beauty!! now I know some of you big muskie hunters have WAY bigger fish under your belt but I was shaking like a leaf. I got her out the net and remembered NO CAMERA!!!! so I was bummed, then I thought CAMERA PHONE!!! we C.P.R’d her and back in she went So guys, how much do you think she weighed?? It was to big for me to guess. plus since I caught it I am definatly not the guy to guess the weight “I might say 40 pounds or something crazy like that” next question do I have a replica made or will I wish I didnt spend the money on a “small one”. give me your advice
    thanks wallerbass1

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

NICE MUSKY and a even nicer story to go with it – I would say yes to the replica, but thats just me.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

40 inch fish I would say 20 lbs. Very nice fish and a nice pic. I had my first big muskie mounted several years ago when I caught it. I was fishing for them up in Wisconsin and I knew nothing about replicas at the time, this was 10 years ago, dont know how long replicas have been being made. She went 42 inchs. I have caught and released a few bigger fish over the years and dont regret getting her put on the wall because of the chance of a bigger one along the way. I say why not, go for the replica.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Hey, nice Isky! Took a 40 incher last fall on a rainbow Yo-Zuri, weighed in a little over 20 pounds, your fish looks to me like it could run a few more! 40 pounds, although foder for the ego, might be a skoosh strong. Also have a 50 incher (25″ girth) on the wall that officially weighed in at 37lbs.2 oz. If you are anything at all like the rest of us, by the time you quit telling the story it should weigh about 58 pounds!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have a 40″ pike on the wall that died on us in Canada. Rather than waste the fish, we had it mounted. It was 40″ and 20 pounds.
    Great fish and story Corey!
    Good thing Joe wasn’t with you! you guys would have gotten skunked!
    Tuck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great story! I’m sure you will remeber this one for a long time! Getting to share the experience with a buddy, even better ! I agree with others 20 lb range. Nice job!

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Congrats on a nice fish, the “shakes” is probably one of the best things you can ever experience ! Go with the replica, heck the living room has at least three more walls to cover if you get a bigger one !

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wallerbasser… I can tell by the excitment in your story that you still get goose bumps talking about it!

Nice fish!

Don’t listen to those ding dongs above…it was 40 lbs….

You almost broke River Fishing Rule #1…always have a disposable camera in your boat. I’m glad you thought of your phone….THAT would have been a nightmare…(no pictures!)

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

WallerBass,
    nice story and nice Musky…
    Jack…

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

a 40″ fish is beautiful. wonderful example of esox. how in the world did that fish stay on with no steel leader? everytime I hear of a ‘ski getting caught on my home waters I get a little excited.
    I’ve been experiencing an awesome smallmouth bite also up here in Hudson. Haven’t been targeting them but man are they on the chew.

TRZ
    St.paul

last year i got a 38,40 and 43 out of the croix. just pike and walleye fishing all with no leader and 10 lb test. with cranks leaders are not at all needed, plus they reduce strikes and the chances for walleye. about 5 years ago my buddie got a 49 out of the warm water discharge. there are alot of musky in the river but they are very scatered. great fish!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Wallerbass!!!!

Sweet fish bud!!!!

Better story to go with it!!!!!
    Got to love dancing in the boat!!!!!!!!

Good job!!!!!!!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Wallerbass you done good
    first the fish is Great then remembering the camera phone , and you can’t beat the story. If you got the coin, go for the replica, it isn’t always the size, it’s the memory… (I didn’t really say that)

dave

buschman
    Pool 2

I know the feeling on the camera. I was down in prescott last tuesday and got one at 35 inches and didnt bring a camera. I was just fishing off shore and figured I wouldnt need the camera

Awesome fish!!!!! I would agree with 20-22 lbs. My biggest was 45 inches and that was about 27 lbs. I might have a replica made but not yet. I keep trying for a bigger one and its been 2 years now…. After this year I may get a replica if I dont beat that mark.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Don’t listen to those ding dongs above…it was 40 lbs….

Yup, just talked to Grampa “he’s never wrong” he said 1 pound an inch for Muskie. ..thats a 40 pounder… … nice job…Wallerbass1

And I use to hate anyone with a camera phone….

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I suppose a name change to Wallerski is in order.
    I was in Bass Pro Shops today without my camera, but took a picture on my cell phone of the biggest bass I have ever seen in their tank! WOW!

lindy
    Hudson, WI

Nice fish and story I think A replica of that fish would look great on your wall! Go for it!

Lindy
    In-Depthangling Field Staff
    Lindy’s St. Croix Guide Service
    http://www.fishthestcroix.com
    715-220-2777

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.