Sunday Fishing Report

• dwalleye
    WI

My son and I hit the river today and found the fishing to be a bit on the tough side. We started at the Kinni and caught one nice eye on a fathead, but that’s all she was going to give up for us today. We proceeded down to the old Miss and my 7 year old landed a nice flathead after about a 20 minute battle. That saved the day for him. Tried a couple of other spots but slow. I think the water needs cool down a bit for the fish to really pick up. Great weather, but a bit windy.

DredgeII

Where you the one in the lund with the 200 4stroke yammy? Nice Rig! I was fishing with friends, did pretty good in fact 1 15″, 1 18″ Walleyes and 2 sauger over 18 not too bad for 4 hours of fishing. I have been having a pretty tough year this year on the Croix. Is it just me or does it pay to go out on the water before 0900 on the river. Typically get my best fishing done between 0900 and 1400. Water Temp is going down but not fast enough. Looking forward to full moon in October, been going to Big Pond for some real pigs. Good Luck! Outty

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Todd, anytime you land a 18 inch sauger is a good day…much less two of them!

I’m hoping the sailboat hatch is about done with.

grouse

I was out on Monday evening for a few hours. It was slow until 6:15pm when the dinner bell rang. I caught 4 walleyes, 26″-24″-18″-13″ and a 17″ sauger. I was trolling #5 and #7 firetiger rs raps. 12-14′ was the magic depth.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Quote:

I was out on Monday evening for a few hours. It was slow until 6:15pm when the dinner bell rang. I caught 4 walleyes, 26″-24″-18″-13″ and a 17″ sauger. I was trolling #5 and #7 firetiger rs raps. 12-14′ was the magic depth.

This may be dumb for me to ask but where would a newbie river rat start fishing these fish? Backside of islands? Slack waters where the curent is slower?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What part the the Croix were you planning of fishing?

Generally speaking S. of Stillwater you would fish the edges of breaks…North of Stillwater it’s currant seams I would guess…Mike W…where are you? Need some help here dude

lindy
    Hudson, WI

Was out sunday also, tried the jig and minnow thing, but found the bite slow as you guys did. So I drowned some crankbaits and did much better including a 26″er also. Hex tap in Narrow sections of the river or N. of stillwater, where more current is present, as Brian stated it’s a good idea to stick to current seems, and channel edges, and if the waters low the main channel. Otherwise concentrate your efforts on deep flats, breaklines, and shad if abbundant in an area. Hope that Helps a little.

Lindy

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Well thanks guys that’s a start to my river rat days. Well I may back asking some questions. I would most likely launch in near StillWater. This is all new and I want to start fishing the Rum River for walleyes.

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.