5/27/04 Report

• Jira

I hit the Croix near Bluffs park at 6:30 this morning with my father in law. While we had heard that the bite north of Kinni had been unbelievable the last 3 days, we decided to fish the sandbar out in front of the harbor first. By 7 we I boated our first two fish, one 16 and one 14. I was using a 3 foot lindy rig with orange blade and a large leech. We released both and continued to fish up the west bank towards Kinni right off the lip. A couple misses , a nice sheapie, and a fat smallie later we decided to try the north mouth of kinni at about 8:30.

We had seen boats run there all morning. When we got there about 6 boats were positioned. Some bumping around with electrics or kickers and others anchored. We tried a few different presentations including cranks, plastics, and our lindy rigs with no luck. We fished there for about an hour and only saw a single fish caught.

Having had enough of the crowd, at 10:30 am we headed back to the west shore just north of Bluff’s park. With the kicker kicking we threw additional plastics which earned us quite possibly the smallest rock bass in the St. Croix. Back to lindy’s and the favorite orange blades. We instantly boated 2 more eyes in 19 feet of water. The first was a healthy 19 and the second was 17. We both asked ourselves why we made the kinni run in the first place. We ran out of leeches at about 12:15 and packed it in.

At the launch we spoke with another guy who said that the last 3 days they had caught many, many fish north of Kinni. Today he had caught 1. He blamed in on the rain.

All I know is that today was a lot better that sitting behind my desk at work.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the report JickyJack!
    I’ve been up to Windy Winni since Monday. I took my dad out for a couple hours this morning. Fished between Afton and Hudson…only one hit….

Are you having the rockbass mounted?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Did someone say rockbass?
    JickyJack-Good report. And my thoughts exactly I love to fish in the middle of nowhere places, and the Croix has hiden gems, especially if you like shoreline spots (prime in late May early June) I did score at the Kinni today with rigged crawlers –kicked tail on the eyes and saugs today from 1:00 to 3:00pm, then moved on.

Keep catchin’
    Turk
    http://www.croixsippi.com

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Good reports guys. I was schooled by the Walleye yesterday afternoon. Fished the Kinni area from 4:00-8:00 pm. Only managed one 8″ smallie. I had one nice feeling fish on, only to lose it on the way to the boat. Missed 3-4 very nice bites. Used crawlers and leeches on snells. It sure is nice to see the river levels up. Good luck this weekend and happy Memorial Day.

Sandbar

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I went out again last night for a couple hours before sunset. What a differance!
    I started with a spinner and crawler…one bite. Then I remembered I needed to set up my wifes rod. Someone said orange was working for them so that’s what I put on with a fat head. Stuck the rod in the rod holder, turned around and the rods bouncing. A 14 incher. Put the worm rod in the rod holder and fished with the orange spinner and minnow for 45 minutes with 4 legals, biggest 18″. The camera was drying out from the Winni trip, otherwise I’d have pictures. High water…

fadius
    Prescott, WI

Good report. I live in Prescott and am just starting to learn to fish the Criox. I have fished the Miss many times. I will also post my findings. I will be heading out this weekend.

buschman
    Pool 2

I hit prescott last night.Havnt been down there in a couple weeks in the boat so had to go.Stuck with the jig and minnow most the time.Ended up with 3 saugers 15-16 in and a couple smaller ones.Had the best luck in the croix on the north side of the bridge in the deep cut.Never did see a walleye caught up there.There were some eyes bitting south of the docks on the prescott side in the miss.Tried pulling a crawler in some shallower sand and ended up with olny one small sauger.Stopped on the way back to the launch at one of my favorite spots and got 3 smallies one nice one(always fun)All and all another multi species day on the river.
    still cant get away from them sheepies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.