2012 Hudson Launch Fees

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you are a resident of the city of Hudson, get ready to bend over next year. I was reading the City Council meeting minutes from 12/5 and they approved an increase in launch fees for next year. Supposedly, the DNR requires that launches can’t charge non-city residents more than 50% more than city residents. As a city resident, we used to pay 3.00 per launch. Next year it will go up to 7.00 per launch. Non-residents will pay 10.00. The minutes don’t say anything about offering a season pass. Kind of funny that they didn’t have anything in the local news paper regarding this change. I sent an email to my city council representative. If I get a response, I will post it.

This change is hard to swallow after the launch was closed the majority of the boating season last year because of the high water.

Meeting Minutes from 12/5

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

WHERE is that launch??

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

that really, really stinks. the ramp section that is submerged is HORRIBLE. almost impossible to load straight…
    no word I suppose when that will be addressed.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

From what I read in the meeting minutes, it was already passed unanimously.

Stu – the Hudson launch is 1 block west of main street. If you are heading north off of 94 on 2nd street (same as Hwy 35), take a left at the Dairy Queen. You will run right into the Hudson landing. They also have very limited parking during the summer.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

holy crap, I am really angry about this. rinky dink small town bull puckey. i suppose they have to pay for the new docks they got a couple of years ago somehow. it’s still cheaper than beanie’s i guess. sheesh, if I go multiple times during the week (which I usually do in May and June) it will really add up.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Been there. Never launched there myself.

If it has that kinda drop off, they will not be getting $10 from too many repeats…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

does anyone have Tom’s e-mail add.?

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Don’t launch there, and tell them to take their outrages launch fees and jam them where the sun doesn’t shine !!!!!! they are not the only game in town..

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Don’t launch there, and tell them to take their outrages launch fees and jam them where the sun doesn’t shine !!!!!! they are not the only game in town..

It don’t matter, the pleasure boaters would be more than happy to not see any fisherman there, more room for them city still wins.

Not sure I am real happy about the price increase

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Easier said than done. There is a severe shortage of parking spots at all the ramps around Hudson (Ferry Landing, Kings, Hudson, Cove). The other private launches close to Hudson are even more expensive. Regardless, they all fill up early in the morning regardless of what they charge. You would like to think some of the money a resident pays for property taxes would provide the benefit of being able to launch your boat at a city landing for a reduced rate.

Riverrat47

I sent a email to the mayor. Nothing like a 233% increase in a year.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

i did the same. unfortunately it appears we are just going to have to bend over and take it! my alderman will not be getting my vote the next election

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We need to get them to come up with a season pass option. Most other public launches on the Croix have this as an option.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

my alderman e-mailed me back a very nice note. it sounds like a yearly pass will be available before Spring. in his words “an avid fisherman such as yourself may find the yearly pass costs less than all the launch fees you paid last year” i am hoping so

Riverrat47

I received a email back from the Mayor of Hudson. The DNR forced the increase on the city. A non resident of Hudson complained about the fee. I asked him about the season pass option. I sure hope they offer it and it is inline with the cost of a seasonal pass at the Cove launch.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I don’t understand the DNRs interest in private/public launch fees…

Do they think there is too much traffic currently??

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I believe it has something to do with access. If WIDNR stocks the water it must be equally accessible for anyone. Maybe the $3 vs $10 isn’t fair?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The DNR forced the increase on the city. A non resident of Hudson complained about the fee.

I would love to hear the rest of that story.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

7 dollar launch is pretty reasonable. The mayor emailed this morning and if i thought a yearly pass was a good idea. Also asked what a fair price would be. Discuss? I thought the 35 to 50 dollar range was fair

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

at $35 they would sell a lot of permits. at $50 much fewer.
    times are tuff…

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

SteveO:

Are they considering a season pass for all or just city residents?

Given the number of times I use the launch, anything under $100 would save me money, but I’d probably pay per launch if the pass were more than $50.

Eric

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

annual pass for residents is what he stated to me..
    personally I don’t think i spent over 50 dollars there last year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Morons for not offering a season pass especially for non-res. They should be competing for business. It would be in the best interest of the town. Would have saved their butts in 2011.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I finally heard back from my alderman too. All he really said was why they have to raise the fee for residents (DNR requires non-resident fee not to exceed 50% more than the resident). I asked him about the potential of an annual pass. He said he would bring it up at the next public works comittee meeting.

I would assume if they offer an annual pass for residents, they are required to offer it for non-residents too. I like the amount Prescott charges (35.00/50.00). But 50.00/75.00 would be acceptable too. If they want to charge any more than that, I would consider it a money grab by the City of Hudson against it’s residents.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would be suprised if those greedy #(*&$%(&% havent discussed expanding the parking lot for their new found cash cow.
    I love Hudson but that city council=losers in my opinion based on this one action alone and only caters to the well to do crowd. I almost wish it would flood again for most of the year but then we would all pay for it the following year.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

It would be nice not taking time to load money in that little envelope and stick it in the slot

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’m worried that in the past, residents have referred to City of Hudson only. I live in the Town of Hudson. I always paid the city rate as that is what’s on my drivers license.

But, having to run downtown to pick up a resident only annual pass has me worried.

Would anyone care to join me at the next city council meeting?

Eric

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I’ll go Eric, let me know when it is, I need to talk to them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Give em hell. Make sure they understand how much revenue they lost last year by not having annual stickers. They understand revenue…..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.