Stillwater Lift Bridge

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Story from today’s Strib.

If state shuts down, so will Stillwater Lift Bridge

Updated: June 17, 2011 – 2:17 PM

The Stillwater Lift Bridge was closed in April because of flooding. Now, it would be closed again if there is a state shutdown.

The Stillwater Lift Bridge, a key commuter link over the St. Croix River crossed by 18,000 vehicles daily, will be raised and then closed for the duration of any state government shutdown, city officials were told Friday.

“The reason is, navigation [on the river] is considered more important than traffic,” said Larry Hansen, Stillwater’s city administrator. “Can you imagine the impact that’s going to have?”

About a third of Stillwater’s city employees come over the bridge to work, he said, not to mention employers like Andersen Windows in nearby Bayport and those who commute to the Twin Cities.

With the closest crossing options being at Hudson or Osceola in Wisconsin, travel times will double and triple as they had during this spring’s flooding when the bridge was raised to protect its lifting motors from damage.

Workers in charge of raising and lowering the 80-year-old bridge to allow dozens of large boats to pass under it each summer day are employees of the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

The bridge closed for three months in 2005 for major renovation.

JIM ANDERSON

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What about Prescott lift bridge? Is that run by Wis?
    Ridiculous they consider the boats first since that stretch of river is extremely limited for any boat needing the extra clearance.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

That’s so rediculous that boat traffic is more important than vehicle traffic.

Just sounds like the morons are in charge.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Is anyone surprised by this? Great way to make it painful on the working folk that need to get to work. Ok Dayton… I say uncle. Go ahead and tax the rich.

I wish I could vote in Mn.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

What about Prescott lift bridge? Is that run by Wis?
    Ridiculous they consider the boats first since that stretch of river is extremely limited for any boat needing the extra clearance.

Border bridges are every other state wise, so Prescott in WI. Will that new foot bridge on pool two that burned last year be open?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Did I mention

Once again the “Great Historic” Stillwater bridge proves to be even more worthless than ever

glb
    Twin Cities

This could possibly contribute more than any other factor to pushing through the legislation to build the new bridge that certain environmental groups have been trying to prevent.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

This could possibly contribute more than any other factor to pushing through the legislation to build the new bridge that certain environmental groups have been trying to prevent.

Good point. In other words, scam.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Not to worry…have it on good info that they are
    only going to close down the MINNESOTA SIDE.
    How about a less expensive prefab tunnel to cut out the
    bad corner AND the noise like the five-mile tunnel across Baltimore harbor that came in ahead of schedule and under budget…several hundred M less than this monstrosity.
    And why spend 1.1 million for “visual amelioration” to remove the Xcel coal unloading docks when they would make a great fishing platform and a magnet for tourists to watch coal bulldozers and the conveyor system?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Walker was supposed to come to Houlton today and sign the bridge deal but canceled because of the rumor of protestors. I am assuming that it will still get signed just not in Houlton.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Not quite sure how a new bridge will affect the beauty of this power plant and high lines in view of a great sunset but I personally think a new bridge will make a nice background for any photo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.