Monster Sturgeon right below St. Croix dam

• dogfish107
    PoCo, WI

Has anyone ever seen the sturgeon that post up right below the dam in St. Croix Falls? Jeremy Wade wouldn’t even fudge around with those dinos.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Welcome to In-depth!!

I don’t have a clue what you are talking about.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

You can not be within X amount of feet downstream or you will be fined for trespassing. And anywhere you can fish it is difficult to bottom fish. Lots of rocks making snags easy to find.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Good to have you with us Dogfish.

bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

When I was in high school, years ago, 2 of my friends and I would fish right below the dam – before the fences went up. We would catch smallmouth, carp and the occassional sturgeon. The current is so strong there that the sturgeon would hit the current and our drag would scream as we ran with the fish trying to keep up, praying we could bring it to shore. Needless to say, we only landed 1 that was about 42 to 48 inches – and that 1 flopped back in the water after only maybe 10 seconds – and the rest simply snapped our 12 lb mono line. It was a lot of fun. I probably owe my dad $80 in lures and jigs that I “borrowed” that are somewhere in the St. Croix now. By the way, here is a pic of a nice carp my dad caught a few years ago fishing downstream from the dam using oatmeal balls.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.