Crappies Biting?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Anyone catching crappies around the metro yet? I took a temp reading on Tonka a few days ago and the water was still at 36 degrees. don’t think they have moved in shallow yet but hopefully with this string of days in the 70’s the action will pick up

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have heard good reports of crappie fishing on several metro lakes – Including Minnetonka. Not shallow water, but in deeper water staging area’s just outside of spawning area’s. The Pre-spawn bite often is as good or better than the spawning bite. They are much tastier out of the colder water as well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have heard good reports of crappie fishing on several metro lakes – Including Minnetonka. Not shallow water, but in deeper water staging area’s just outside of spawning area’s. The Pre-spawn bite often is as good or better than the spawning bite. They are much tastier out of the colder water as well.

that’s good input. Thanks fishthumper. ill be fixing my truck this weekend and after that I can get the boat out of storage. until then im stuck with shore fishing.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

that’s good input. Thanks fishthumper. ill be fixing my truck this weekend and after that I can get the boat out of storage. until then im stuck with shore fishing.

Are you stuck with shore fishing because you’re too time consumed with fixing the truck or because you don’t have a tow vehicle?

I have a truck but my boat is up north. I also suck at crappie fishing. Maybe your boat, knowledge, plus my truck might make an idea???

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Are you stuck with shore fishing because you’re too time consumed with fixing the truck or because you don’t have a tow vehicle?

I have a truck but my boat is up north. I also suck at <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie fishing. Maybe your boat, knowledge, plus my truck might make an idea???

stuck on shore cause I don’t have a tow vehicle. that’s a nice offer patk and I would take you up on it but unfortunately im too busy with house/kids stuff in the next few days to go out fishing. I tell you what though I plan on fixing the truck on Saturday and after that ill get my boat out of storage and id be more than happy to invite you out. Or if I cant fix my truck than I may take you up on your offer.

matt

Crappies have been biting on Tonka for weeks now.There were fish in the shallows a couple days after the ice went out,a couple times ice had even re formed on some of the spots I was fishing.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Crappies have been biting on Tonka for weeks now.There were fish in the shallows a couple days after the ice went out,a couple times ice had even re formed on some of the spots I was fishing.

good to know. I would have thought that it would take warmer water for them to move up.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its early yet so crappies will move around with daily heating. Cool nights with any kind of wind can negate whatever a nice day may have started. The last couple evenings have been somewhat warm but the wind still is blowing at night so its a game of temperature gain and loss.

On our local lake the crappies are still hanging out over the deeper water for the most part in spite of water temps getting up to the 49-50 degree mark now. We found a few on vertical structure yesterday but not many. We marked thousands of them on the open areas over the deep water.

The surface temp where we found our few fish was right about 45.3 degrees. I dropped my submersible thermometer down to 7 feet and the water was at 39 degrees. Our fish all came from the top four feet so they are looking for warmer water.

Most everyone we saw drifting for the crappies on the open expanses was using either a jig/minnow or a jig/plastic/minnow or waxie. We had no bait and got our fish on plastic/jig under a float to keep the bait at specific levels.

Find some slightly warmer water wherever you fish and chances are the crappies will favor those locations. Later on in the day may benefit you too since it allows for a longer warm-up period.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Checked a North Metro area lake Tuesday and had water temps 34-35 degrees and a lot of fish staging out deeper but wouldn’t bite. Went back today mid day and found 54 degree water and fish were just starting to come in shallow and bite.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.