Crappie jigging rod

• Joe K

So I’ve got 3 crappie rods (2 cheapo shakespear rod/reel combos and a fenwick). I get annoyed trying to use spring bobbers (tried the rapala and frabill ones so maybe just not the right ones) so I’m thinking it’s time to add a higher quality noodle rod as my main tool.

Any recommendations on routes to go with this? I use both jigs (tungsten and leas) and spoons. I fish for bluegills too but would assume the rod would work fine for them also.

I’m also not opposed to used gear if there’s a way to ensure it is still in good shape.

Dan Baker

In my opinion, the Bullwhip from Tuned Up Custom Rods is the best noodle rod available anywhere. I use mine all the time with a variety of jig sizes, from large tungsten to small lead. I occasionally use it for small spoons as well, but I usually use my Fusion for those. The tip is amazing. I haven’t ever felt I was missing fish, even with the most negative and neutral moods the can get in late in the winter.
    Dan

Joe K

Haha wish I had gotten the itch before the St Paul ice show this year, since they were there.

Dan Baker

Yeah. I work at Tuned Up, so I am biased. If you are in the metro, come into our shop in Coon Rapids. You can get hands-on experience with them. We are also in Scheels.
    Dan

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

If you want a non-biased opinion I can confirm that the TUCR Bullwhip is everything you’d ever want in a crappie rod. I got one this year and couldn’t be happier with it. Super soft noodle tip with a firm backbone. It can handle a walleye/bass/pout if you accidentally hook into one, too.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Thorne Brothers Power Noodle is the best out there.
    Tuned Up Customs Bullwhip is the best out there.
    DH Customs Pannie Dropper is the best out there
    St. Croix CCI line is the best out there.
    Mags Power Noodle is the best out there.

You will get a bunch of answers on this topic. In all honesty the custom or high end rod market is so competitive now that the well known ones all make a real good stick. Years ago if you asked this question you would get all Thorne Brothers when they were the sponsor for IDO, now TUCR is the sponsor and now it’s a majority TUCR. I own a few from different companies TB, TUCR, Mags, KCR, and they’re all really good rods.

Joe K

So what you’re saying is we all need to do a meetup so I can try each of your favorites out ;-)

AnotherFisherman

I purchased the newly released this ice season Northland Cherry Picker. It is worth checking out IMO. They have them at Fleet Farm, I’m sure most locations as well for around $50. You can get another $5 off if you grab a bag of popcorn from the gas station.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the rod so far this season. Does anyone else have experience with it?

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

If using a spring bobber, you definitely want a nicer one, ice strong titanium spring bobbers come to mind but there is several other companies also. Thorne Bros carries some also and may help with install.

I am all for nicer rods and there is definitely a performance difference, but if you were looking to stay cheaper like your other combos I’d recommend picking up a $14 shakespeare noodle ice rod first. I just got a 27″ from Fleet farm and have to say for the 10-35 dollar price point it will be hard to beat, I might pick up some more for guests to replace some gander store brand rods. Fairly Sensitive tip (almost like a Ht Blue) but actually transitions in to decent backbone with a straight cork handle. I have some higher price point rods that I also enjoy, 13 fishing tickle stick and a 2B big nood. A Custom rod like Tuned up will be even nicer, different price point once again though.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

So what you’re saying is we all need to do a meetup so I can try each of your favorites out

Come to the IDO Sturgeon GTG this Saturday and I have almost all of them you can try. Oh and I like the one I make the best. Hands down the best one out there. wink
    When looking at the higher end noodle rods they are all good with slight differences.

PmB

Jt panhandler is worth looking into

Nicholas

13 fishing snitch/descent combo is very good especially for only $50.

shockers
    Rochester

I’ll vouch for the TUCR Bullwhip. Fantastic panfish/crappie rod.

My advice, however, is to use a good rod case when transporting them. They are pretty ‘delicate’ rods and bust easy. Don’t ask me how I know.

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

JT rogue is a great crappie rod

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

You will get a bunch of answers on this topic. In all honesty the custom or high end rod market is so competitive now that the well known ones all make a real good stick. Years ago if you asked this question you would get all Thorne Brothers when they were the sponsor for IDO, now TUCR is the sponsor and now it’s a majority TUCR. I own a few from different companies TB, TUCR, Mags, KCR, and they’re all really good rods.

There’s definitely some truth to this. I own rods from more than one of the big custom shops and they all make quality rods in my experience. I’m sure some of the members on here do great work too.

Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>al-wichman wrote:</div>

There’s definitely some truth to this. I own rods from more than one of the big custom shops and they all make quality rods in my experience. I’m sure some of the members on here do great work too.

Absolutely the case! I think this is one of the best reasons to go to things like the ice show where you can get your hands on all of the rods from all of the makers.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Snitch by 13 fishing. Not too spendy but my favorite panfish rod for 3 or 4 years now

Come to the IDO Sturgeon GTG this Saturday and I have almost all of them you can try.

Go big or go home, that’s what I’ve been telling myself. If I bring my crappie rods, I could see myself drifting off towards the day marker twiddling away for dinner.

I prefer Thorne. I like how they stepped back from the mass seasonal production and keep it all in-house now.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

St. Croix Legend black/silver rods are my go to for panfish. 24UL or L. The locking reel handle is a bonus too!

Joe K

All great info. One thing I failed to mention was fishing style. I primarily hole hop and don’t even own a shelter currently. So I spend most time kneeling/standing by holes and jumping around between them.

mojo

The noodle rods sound great for typical panfish jigs, but do they work with a Jig n Rap or Ultralight Rip N Rap that I might use for larger crappies? It seems to me that the slow tip would not be great for working lures with a good amount of resistance or a larger profile.
    Are there any non-custom rods that you guys recommend for popping Jig N Raps etc?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Haven’t used all the rods mentioned here, but I have 2 Bullwhips and would have a hard time imagining there’s a better rod out there.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

if you are going to go without a spring bobber I’d say its hard to beat a TUC bullwhip or Precision Noodle. I would not totally give up on a spring bobber rod. I myself would never go panfish fishing without one with me. A lot of people say they can see a bite on a quality noodle rod as good as on a spring bobber – If they can they have far better eyes than and quicker reflexes than I do. If you are looking for a good quality rod with a spring bobber built in – It would be hard to beat the Matt Johnson professional rod built by clam outdoors. I believe the cost to be around 69.00. Clam also has a new line of rods this year called the Sceptre stick – This is available in a 27″ul with a Ul spring bobber built in – At around 39.00 this is a excellent rod as well.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The noodle rods sound great for typical panfish jigs, but do they work with a Jig n Rap or Ultralight Rip N Rap that I might use for larger crappies? It seems to me that the slow tip would not be great for working lures with a good amount of resistance or a larger profile.
    Are there any non-custom rods that you guys recommend for popping Jig N Raps etc?

You would not want a noodle rod for Jig-n-Rap because the tip is too soft. You want something that is stiffer. Noodle rods are made for glass blanks. For jig-n-rap I like carbon blanks. They are a bit stiffer of a blank. I shaped and build a rod for this so I can’t recommend one. But I am sure someone could. I would suggest making a new post for this topic.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Right now, power noodle, quick tip are the hype.

It all comes down to jig choice, jig control, tip sensitivity – sight or feel – combination of both. Line choice can also make a big difference. Finally reel choice, premium precision or economical.

At some point in time, you’ll find that one rod that wows you. From there you may want something for some other more specific advantage that you seek.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The noodle rods sound great for typical <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish jigs, but do they work with a Jig n Rap or Ultralight Rip N Rap that I might use for larger crappies? It seems to me that the slow tip would not be great for working lures with a good amount of resistance or a larger profile.

I have used the small sized jigging raps on my precision noodle from TUCR and it works just fine. Last season I added a Bullwhip and that gives you more control and less bounce in the rod with the jigging rap. I haven’t used either with a rippin rap so I can’t help you there.

kbeck12

I’m mainly a walleye fisherman but have started to get into panfish because of where I live now.
    I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a panfish rod so I went with the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick last year and bought a Dead Meat this year.
    $40 and have a great high vis tip and backbone.

Now, do I wish I had a bullwhip, absolutely! But just didn’t want to spend that much money on a panfish rod right away.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I have a large variety in my collection of panfish rods from TUCRs, Jason Mitchell meat sticks, Clam legacys, Ace custom rods noodles, St. Croix golds/blacks, and Northland cherry pickers. They are all great rods and have their place for different situations and bait presentations. But I find myself turning to the St. Croix Blacks 30″ Medium Light most often when the fishing counts and I need to fill a tournament bag. The design of the spring bobber on these has unrivaled bite detection and the more generous flex of the backbone in the rod blank seems to keep the fish pinned better when thrashing at the hole.

Hartley

If ya wanna use jigging raps or small ripn raps, then go with a TUCR Fusion or Thornes Perch sweet heart, 32-34″ long

Tungsten, TUCR Precision noodle,Bullwhip or Thornes Power Noodle,Quiverstick with tripwire. DH Al Dente noodle. 32-34″ long. Just my $.02

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.