Crappie and Gill Plastics

• Jordan Dahl

What are the best plastics that you guys use? I have been running bloodworms and have heard good things about trigger x line.
    Not too unimpressed with the bloodworm just open to other opinions.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

B-Y baits have some nice plastics out that work well.

Jeffa

Panfish plastics.com

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Easier said than done, but I think a well rounded assortment of different manufactures and types will do you the most justice. Seems like specific plastic body shapes perform well on specific bodies of water or within a specific ecosystem on a lake. If your style is to fish multiple places, having variety makes a difference

big_g
    Isle, MN

for me, it’ shard to beat the classic Nuclear Ant…. especially for gills. for crappies, give me a white moonglow with a minnow… *BANG*

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I like the trigger x line and the custom j/s shrimpo tails

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Little atom nuggies are my go to.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Prescott Bait Company for a local suppler!

ec1
    NULL

Lots of good options out there. My favourites are the Gulp 1″ minnows, and the Northland Slug Bug.
    Bought myself some of the mustache worms and wax tails from Trigger X this year, looking forward to trying! Am thinking about which scent to marinate them in as I don’t think there’s any scent to them yet!

curleytail

I’ve been using almost exclusively Little Atom plastics for several years now. I use the Micro Nuggies the most, and move to the regular Nuggie, and sometimes downsize to a Wedgie when bluegills are finicky and seem spooky of bigger baits.

They have some other plastics too, but I keep up with guys that are using live bait, and often do better than live bait. Maybe I should experiment, but I’ve caught a lot of fish on the Little Atom stuff.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’ve always been a red euro-larva guy even when I used a plastic I would add a larva to give it some extra scent… Finally last year year I took the training wheels off and went full plastic. I still carry larva so that I can throw everything at them just in case they aren’t biting but on most days they never leave my pocket now. My go-to by the end of last season was glow-red Pug Bug/Red Nymph combo and it was deadly. Not only did I catch my PB crappie on that combo but I bested it barely an hour later….

Attachments:
    1. big-crappie-1.jpg

2. big-crappie-2.jpg

3. nymph-plastic.jpg

hamms
    Mn

Nice fish Will. I use little atoms mostly. They don’t even think twice about it!

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Those nymths look intising.
    I to use the Little Atom line. Been having good luck with fisca’s and micro nuggies and the double tail. Been using solid colors from white, red, black and chartruse. Sunday I could’t find the gills at my go to spot so I mixed up the color scheme. Yellow with black spot fisca and a black double tale and was awarded with a mess of nice sized perch and nice crappies. Dont know where the nice gills went
    Mixing up colrs can pay off just of a matter keep mixing it up to find what they want.

Alex Sharrow
    adirondack park upstate ny

I’ve had great luck on northland tackle scud bug shrimp and maki plastics from the jamei poli and maki I just purchased some new trigger x baits hoping it does the same job that I had last season fishing

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

Have to agree with Randy and his suggestion to have an assortment of different kinds and styles, to find out what works for you on the waters you fish. I’m fortunate enough to get many samples to try and have really come to like the B-Y Baits plastics. They have yet to fail me, in 2 seasons of using and comparing them with many other plastics. Including a lot of the big name products, which some are from sponsors. NO, I’m not sponsored by B-Y at all. At least not yet(lol)! But, in my opinion and experiences they have a GREAT product that has consistently produced, when other plastics haven’t. Take care and tight lines.

Jordan Dahl

Thanks guys, I went with some atom line. I just picked a bunch up at the duluth show. Didn’t see any pig bugs, I plan on having a good variety.
    We will see how they work tonorrow

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.