Crankbait box

• boos1906

Hey guys I’m looking for a way to store crankbaits. What do you all use? I was looking at cramk caddy. What do you think of those?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The price is a hang up for me. Dropping 25 to 40 bucks gets very costly if your trying to store large quantities. I’ve stuck mostly with Plano boxes and large wraps. Hard though when your packing 200-300 for a long trip

boos1906

The price is a hang up for me. Dropping 25 to 40 bucks gets very costly if your trying to store large quantities. I’ve stuck mostly with Plano boxes and large wraps. Hard though when your packing 200-300 for a long trip

That’s what I’m worried about is the cost. What do you mean by wraps?

the_hat
    SE Metro

I recently picked up a wraptor roll myself back on Black Friday. It fits a lot of the 5 & 7” baits. I have a few special mate boxes as well, but my complaint is they are so damn big and hard to store. See how the roll works and go from there I guess. None of them are cheap. But then again neither are the baits.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ahh got another product for the Disappointment Thread. Id rather store my cranks in my eye socket than in a crank caddy. I have switched to a deep box with individual separation.

Karry Kyllo

Hey guys I’m looking for a way to store crankbaits. What do you all use? I was looking at cramk caddy. What do you think of those?

I troll cranks alot and use many different makes and models of cranks. The best boxes I’ve found are size 3700 boxes. They aren’t perfect but they’re best option I’ve found for me. Box layouts can be customized up to a point to fit crankbaits of different sizes and profiles. I carry what I may need on a particular lake or river in Cabela’s/Bass Pro soft sided bags designed to hold size 3700 boxes and keep what I don’t think I’ll need on a particular day at home or in my truck. I use black sharpies to identify the cranks in each box so I can just look in my soft sided bags to identify what’s in each box without removing them and to easily swap boxes with what I’ll need on a particular day between my bags and storage.
    I tried Crank Caddies for a couple of years but quit using them except for at home storage because cranks always slipped out of the slots they were placed in.
    There are alot of tackle storage methods that work but that’s what works for me.

boos1906

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boos1906 wrote:</div>

I troll cranks alot and use many different makes and models of cranks. The best boxes I’ve found are size 3700 boxes. They aren’t perfect but they’re best option I’ve found for me. Box layouts can be customized up to a point to fit crankbaits of different sizes and profiles. I carry what I may need on a particular lake or river in Cabela’s/Bass Pro soft sided bags designed to hold size 3700 boxes and keep what I don’t think I’ll need on a particular day at home or in my truck. I use black sharpies to identify the cranks in each box so I can just look in my soft sided bags to identify what’s in each box without removing them and to easily swap boxes with what I’ll need on a particular day between my bags and storage.
    I tried Crank Caddies for a couple of years but quit using them except for at home storage because cranks always slipped out of the slots they were placed in.
    There are alot of tackle storage methods that work but that’s what works for me.

So how do you keep them from being a tangled mess in the 3700 boxes?

boos1906

Matthew I know this is dumb question. I assume the 5 in holds up to a 5 in bait and 8 in holds up to a 8 in bait?

Matthew Sandys

It is the total length of the lure with hooks. So it is the length of the point the hook goes over to the tip of the crankbait bill. I was confused at first with it so got the 8 inches and now a 5 inch.

boos1906

I mostly have 5 in flicker shads but will be buying more 7 flicker shads and 7 shad raps. For the 7s will I need the 8?

Matthew Sandys

Boos,
    7’s will fit just fine in the 5-inch box.
    I don’t have 7 flickers but have 7 hit sticks and they got room to spare.

mojogunter

I wrap the hooks together with a rubber band on each crank and store them in several 3700 Plano boxes. I have quite a few cranks. It is a pita wrapping each one but they don’t get tangled up. I included pictures of 3 of them

Attachments:
    1. 20150409_112111-scaled.jpg

2. 20180203_195224-scaled.jpg

3. 20150409_111934-scaled.jpg

boos1906

That would be a huge pain with rubber bands but might be what I do. It would certainly be way cheaper.

Sylvanboat

Wow. You guys have ALOT of cranks. I also use the 3700 boxes but the short ones- 1-3/8” H. I also use hook covers to avoid tangles.

ranger680t

Do you guys that have the wraps have any issues getting the baits into and/or out of the pockets? Pockets hold too tight or hooks get caught?

Interested in the wraptor product.

boos1906

Wow. You guys have ALOT of cranks. I also use the 3700 boxes but the short ones- 1-3/8” H. I also use hook covers to avoid tangles.

What are these hook covers you talk about?

catmando
    wis

Plano 3700 put as many as you can fit in them, pick out the 1 you want, do the Rapala shake, and shake until the other 5 come loose. DK.

Sylvanboat

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sylvanboat wrote:</div>

What are these hook covers you talk about?

Come in several sizes.

Attachments:
    1. 8DCC7EF1-FB9D-49A0-84AD-49B0859A1BFA.jpeg

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have probably well over 1000 cranks in the boat at one time. The roll up deals would be way to expensive and cumbersome for me to ever use. I just use the 3700 Plano rustrictor or stowaway series I think they are…. I have tried the ones with seals in them, but the ones mentioned do just as good of a job I guess. I don’t usually get wet boxes (don’t be nasty). I keep them in the compartments and leave baits on the back deck or somewhere to dry before I toss them back in.

I have a few giant totes I keep them all in with labels so I know what’s in each plano box and the size that’s in those boxes.

I take them with me to tournaments, during pre fish I’ll keep an assortment of everything and jam pack the boat full. On game day though, I take out what I know I won’t use to lighten the load.

Fun fishing I just again grab the boxes I know I will use but not to the extent I would for a tournament.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.