Crank bait organizer?

• gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

What boxes/storage does everyone use. I just dropped/cracked another plano and think its time to get better organized now that my littles are old enough to start running around the boat.

I am looking at getting something like the B&B tangle free system or something similar. If anyone has some they are willing to part with or has options please let me know!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wraptor tackle roll, I bought 6 of them last year and really like the space they save

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The Plano Edge Crankbait XL boxes that have recently hit the market do their intended job, but they are extremely bulky and fill compartments in a hurry. A buddy swears by them. They definitely hold the baits secure and safe.

I’ve had reasonable luck with the Crankbait Caddy boxes (shown in the image). They make a small, medium, and large size box. I think I have 3 medium boxes full and 2 small. I just grab one of each for an outing as that’s probably ~60 cranks or so. The drawback is the latch. It’s wimpy and will probably fail over time. My boxes aren’t in the sun and generally aren’t tossed around, so hopefully I get a few more years out of them.

Attachments:
    1. smallboxfull2.jpg

mojogunter

I still use Plano 3700 waterproof boxes and use a rubber band on each crank to keep them from getting hooked together.

Attachments:
    1. 20160303_1654271.jpg

2. 20180203_195224.jpg

3. 20150409_111934.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I use treble covers. Don’t have a photo but they also keep the hooks sharper. Pretty cheap too.

Tried the rubber band idea that Mojo is using, they still got hung up but not as bad as they would just piled in there. The bands also suck to take on and off and they eventually wear out.

It probably depends on how many you have. I don’t have a crap load but I’m sure some people have a ton so treble covers may not be a realistic solution.

Dave maze
    Isanti

If you have a crap ton of cranks or spoons the special mate boxes are a good option.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I use treble cover now I would say I have an “abundance” of cranks and spoons. Switching out on the Great Lakes or even on pepin through colors and baits I wind up with them all over so I was looking at getting something to better organize.thank you for the info so far I’m looking up everything.

B-man

I really like the low profile Plano boxes.

They’re about 2/3rds the normal thickness of a regular box (3 boxes take up as much room as 2 normal boxes)

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210112_093237.jpg

Karry Kyllo

I have more crankbaits than I want to admit and 3700 size boxes are what I’ve found work best for me. There are different 3700 options and I’ve found that Plano, Flambeau, Scheels brand and Bass Pro brand are all good. There are some great deals on 4 packs of 3700 boxes many times throughout the year. I tried the Tackle Tamer boxes but found that I had to rearrange cranks in them after every trip out. I didn’t use them for very long in my boat. I just use them to store spare cranks in my tackle room now.
    I label both ends of every 3700 box with a black marker identifying what cranks are inside and tape laminated dive curves of whatever crank each box holds on the inside of each box with clear packing tape. It’s a really good way to do it. All you have to do is to open the lid of each box and the dive curve of what’s in each box is right in front of you. If you want to change the label on a box, use acetone to wipe off the old label and write on a new label (a cheap bottle of finger nail polish remover works great).
    I use Bass Pro Shops Advanced Anglers II Super Magnum Tackle System bags that hold 12 boxes each when I’m in my boat. It’s easy to unzip the cover on the tackle bag, read the label written on each box and pull out exactly which box I want.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d have to spend a thousand bucks or more to get enough of the wraps to fit all my crankbaits in. Then, like I do now, I’d still only use a half a dozen of them regardless of where I fish.

Most of the fun of owning a bajillion crankbaits is untangling 10 of them hooked together. The one you need is always right in the middle of the tangle, too.

I label my plano boxes like Karry and that’s good enough for me!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I use a Dymo label maker to label my 3700 boxes. Wipe the box with isopropyl alcohol first and attach labels. Label both ends and top. You can see what is in it regardless how you store the boxes.

CaptainMusky

https://www.fishusa.com/Trinity-Special-Mate-Tackle-Box

I like them super easy to use and find stuff.

I dont have this exact box, but I have a Flambeau Maximizer bag which is very similar to this for my musky gear and it works really well for that. The dont make the model I have anymore I dont think because now all I can find is a plastic one and mine is a large fabric bag.

For smaller cranks I have the hook em pads from some Amish Tackle company. The are nice, but kinda putzy. Looking at their products now looks like they completely changed them, not at all like the version I had which was basically a foam pad with the clear vinyl over top. you’d put your hooks into the pad and flip the vinyl down. This is kinda putzy. The new version has a bunch of tubes that you put the baits in. Interesting.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I use treble covers. Don’t have a photo but they also keep the hooks sharper. Pretty cheap too.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Fishing Treble Hook Safety Cap Cover Bonnets Protector Durable Hook Holder Caps Set 100pcs” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_968Hz6oUA7j5cV&asin=B074RN4PTX&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe></div&gt;
    Tried the rubber band idea that Mojo is using, they still got hung up but not as bad as they would just piled in there. The bands also suck to take on and off and they eventually wear out.

It probably depends on how many you have. I don’t have a crap load but I’m sure some people have a ton so treble covers may not be a realistic solution.

I also use these. But then I don’t have 100,s of crank baits. I won’t let my wife buy anymore. devil jester they come in 3 different sizes. And color coded

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I’d have to spend a thousand bucks or more to get enough of the wraps to fit all my crankbaits in. Then, like I do now, I’d still only use a half a dozen of them regardless of where I fish. I label my plano boxes like Karry and that’s good enough for me!

No truer words stated, I use only a few that tend to be my go to color. I started with the 3700’s, 3 to a compartment, now it’s many 3700’s, most of them are 1/2 thick to keep tangles to a minimum, labeled Shad Raps, Rouge’s, Bandit’s, etc and can fit 2 to every single 3700. Just can’t resist the Fleet Farm special edition colors. I suppose that is over with as I see they are on clearance.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Many great options if you want to store 100 or less. When you get into the 100s, it’s hard to beat 3700 series boxes. I also carry two 3600 boxes I label as a hot box. I pick out a dozen or so that I want to try before I head out on the water. After the day, generally prefishing for a tournament, I put the ones that are working into the empty box. That night I check all the hooks and load up the other hotbox with similar lures to try if needed.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    I’d have to spend a thousand bucks or more to get enough of the wraps to fit all my crankbaits in. Then, like I do now, I’d still only use a half a dozen of them regardless of where I fish. I label my plano boxes like Karry and that’s good enough for me!

No truer words stated, I use only a few that tend to be my go to color. I started with the 3700’s, 3 to a compartment, now it’s many 3700’s, most of them are 1/2 thick to keep tangles to a minimum, labeled Shad Raps, Rouge’s, Bandit’s, etc and can fit 2 to every single 3700. Just can’t resist the Fleet Farm special edition colors. I suppose that is over with as I see they are on clearance.

How can any crankbait addict resist Fleet Farm’s exclusive colors? Scheel’s has exclusive colors too and I can’t resist them either.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

They were going to throw this plexi card holder away because it had a crack in the bottom. I took it out of a dumpster not knowing what I would use it for but it looked way to cool and then had an idea to store line and cranks.
    The bigger cranks barely fit but it’s perfect for flicker shads/minnows and most deep raps. I am pretty happy with it and no tangled hooks so far!

Attachments:
    1. 20210112_172838.jpg

2. 20210112_172825.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Wraptor tackle roll, I bought 6 of them last year and really like the space they save

Those are actually pretty slick. The owner gave me one at one of the shows last year as he was next to our booth. Nice guy, and it is a nice product.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>David Anderson wrote:</div>

How can any crankbait addict resist Fleet Farm’s exclusive colors? Scheel’s has exclusive colors too and I can’t resist them either.

It’s impossible to resist. I shouldn’t even go to those stores anymore.

I do like the wraps. Maybe pick one up so I can pack a “go” bag. I don’t really need a dozen Plano boxes in the boat.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Kracht wrote:</div>
    Give this a look….

http://www.bbbaitbox.com

X2 I think I’m up to 7 of these in various sizes. Easy to grab the crankbait you want and their never tangled up.

Those look great but again, with 1000 cranks you’d have a buck in each just to store them. Plus, they take up so much room.

These look great and high quality but the options seem like the traditional ie plano boxes or expensive solutions that take up a ton of room.

Maybe a combo of both depending on the situation is the best answer?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Forrest Melton wrote:</div>

Give this a look….

X2 I think I’m up to 7 of these in various sizes. Easy to grab the crankbait you want and their never tangled up.

Those look great but again, with 1000 cranks you’d have a buck in each just to store them. Plus, they take up so much room.

These look great and high quality but the options seem like the traditional ie plano boxes or expensive solutions that take up a ton of room.

Might be time for a tackle wall Matt. Keep the backups in their packaging and put them on a wall.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Give this a look….

Might be time for a tackle wall Matt. Keep the backups in their packaging and put them on a wall.

I just need to purge. I’d probably catch more fish if I had less options.

I even have a couple Plano boxes of bass stuff. It’s a real sickness.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Give this a look….

I just need to purge. I’d probably catch more fish if I had less options.

I even have a couple Plano boxes of <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass stuff. It’s a real sickness.

That’s like me and my walleye BOX. Singular. mrgreen

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just need to purge

I did this last off season. Removed lures that hadn’t been used in years. It created space for lures that I actually use more and have proven to be effective. #lightentheload

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve had reasonable luck with the Crankbait Caddy boxes (shown in the image). They make a small, medium, and large size box. I think I have 3 medium boxes full and 2 small. I just grab one of each for an outing as that’s probably ~60 cranks or so. The drawback is the latch.

I agree with you Bucky, The hinge and latch are its downfall, I’ve got 7 or 8 of them and in separate bags that will hold 4 boxes each. They set in the long way, latch on top and hinge in the bottom. But trust me they hold more than what is advertised if you double every other or every third slot or so.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matthew Sandys wrote:</div>
    https://www.fishusa.com/Trinity-Special-Mate-Tackle-Box

I like them super easy to use and find stuff.

I dont have this exact box, but I have a Flambeau Maximizer bag which is very similar to this for my musky gear and it works really well for that. The dont make the model I have anymore I dont think because now all I can find is a plastic one and mine is a large fabric bag.

For smaller cranks I have the hook em pads from some Amish Tackle company. The are nice, but kinda putzy. Looking at their products now looks like they completely changed them, not at all like the version I had which was basically a foam pad with the clear vinyl over top. you’d put your hooks into the pad and flip the vinyl down. This is kinda putzy. The new version has a bunch of tubes that you put the baits in. Interesting.

I ordered one of these to try.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.