"Cranberry wine….so very fine."

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Oh wait, I think Tommy James and the Schondells said it was Strawberry wine that was so very fine. That’s ok, cause this stuff is so very fine too.

3 months in the making, 12 bottles. Beautiful color. Typical tart Cranberry at the sip, then the sweet chases the tart away. right at 12%. Damn, I knew I should have made the full 5 gallons.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Well it was Deanna Carter that sang Strawberry wine.
    Red Red wine was Neil Diamond, among others.

Either way, looks like dang good stuff Tom!

Sharon
    SE Metro

That looks beautiful, Tom!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Tom I think you need a tagline, like Tom Sawvell “Jack of All Trades, Master of Most too” or something, looks great!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tom I think you need a tagline, like Tom Sawvell “Jack of All Trades, Master of Most too” or something, looks great!

lol….but thanks!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Looks pretty good Tom.I am not a fan of cranberries but would try it based on color.I love the color of it.

Deleted

Looks and sounds great. Wife loves the Elmaro (trempeauleau) cranberry wines

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Looks and sounds great. Wife loves the Elmaro (trempeauleau) cranberry wines

El Maro….we get there two or three times a year. Danzinger Winery above Alma Wisconsin has a great cranberry too. In fact, I am looking at a bottle right now.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

What kind of yeast do you use for such an acidic fruit? Or is a low must pH not a concern?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m not certain of the yeast name used to do this. I told a wine making shop what my direction was and he handed me the yeast and said be patient because it takes a while to get it started. And it took about three days after adding the yeast for it to fire up, but did so in a big way when it got going.

I spoke with a fairly accomplished wine maker who mentioned his adventures into the cranberry wine. He said he’d tried adjusting ph and acidity levels and messed up a 20 gallon batch in doing so. His suggestion was to do small batches. He mentioned that cranberries are at the mercy of the weather while they’re growing and that too dry or too wet when the berries are you can make them super high or low ph which can make some batches harder than others to work with.

I’ll note that you will need to add the yeast nutrient to the must to get it working. Also, I found that I needed to add more simple syrup just when the ferment began to slow along with an energizer to get it to take off again. I was told if I added champagne yeast at the second addition of sugar my wine would have a much higher alcohol content but I’m happy with where its at now. Prior to bottling I siphoned a small glass for Ma and I to try and we agreed that it needed just a touch more sweet so I did another small batch of simple syrup and added it, then waited a week to see if it was going to start fermenting again and it did not so I bottled it up. I’m watching the corks to see if they start lifting but so far all is good.

The wine shop at Pine Island closed so I lost my local access to the needed goodies, but the TC are full of places I’ll visit. I’ve really enjoyed doing the cranberry and will do it again in a year or two.

Deleted

I have been up and down both sides of the river, visiting wineries with the wife – from red wing to Marquette & even made a trip to door county. I think my favorite is the campfire hooch down by Marquette-

Attachments:
    1. 96B8F0DC-0EC8-4EBF-89D0-AF157FE1855D.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’ve been to Eagle’s Landing Winery to. They have a Port that is not fortified with any hard liquor, just wines, that is a super good port.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.